Magpies

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

is it still illegal

In a word yes. But we could still be waiting for the general licence covering magpies for some time. I would shoot to scare them off and then say, "Oooops, sight must have taken a knock" !

11 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

In a word yes. But we could still be waiting for the general licence covering magpies for some time. I would shoot to scare them off and then say, "Oooops, sight must have taken a knock" !

Like it

18 minutes ago, Cumbrian said:

PM sent.

👍

2 hours ago, rheth said:

just had to watch the blackbirds,hedge sparrows and pigeons nests get hammered off the magy over the past week.thanks MR PACKHAM

Just spent today (do a day or 2 when I can down a small holding for a retired couple)

Picking up trashed nests and dead adult song birds.

There's 8 magpie nests around the property that I'm aware of so I'm expecting a population boom shortly.

Cleared a dozen or so out last year.early this year only to have more move in and cause havoc among the song bird population.

If magpies get re named elephants or deer we might be onto a winner.

Just now, gotgcoalman said:

Just spent today (do a day or 2 when I can down a small holding for a retired couple)

Picking up trashed nests and dead adult song birds.

There's 8 magpie nests around the property that I'm aware of so I'm expecting a population boom shortly.

Cleared a dozen or so out last year.early this year only to have more move in and cause havoc among the song bird population.

If magpies get re named elephants or deer we might be onto a winner.

Take some pictures and send them to Chris Packham and Co.

44 minutes ago, washerboy said:

It was a serious question, I haven't read the rules regarding the new GL, I don't need to unless it affects clay pigeons or rabbits or stuff North of the border 

In a England. 

You can only control  carrion crows if damaging livestock, and pigeons if crop damage and youve scared the carp out of them enough, and Canada geese in public health and safety is at risk. No matter what gun you use.. Nothing else can be Killed.. BB, nerf, air, rimfire, centre fire, shotgun, nothing can be controlled by lethal force if its not on the current GL's. 

48 minutes ago, washerboy said:

It was a serious question, I haven't read the rules regarding the new GL, I don't need to unless it affects clay pigeons or rabbits or stuff North of the border 

You can't throw stones at them (with the intention to kill) at the moment.

Unless you're covered by the 2 farcical new licences (magpies not included yet)

unlimited fine? and or 6 months holiday in 1 of HM resorts.

12 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

In a England. 

You can only control  carrion crows if damaging livestock, and pigeons if crop damage and youve scared the carp out of them enough, and Canada geese in public health and safety is at risk. No matter what gun you use.. Nothing else can be Killed.. BB, nerf, air, rimfire, centre fire, shotgun, nothing can be controlled by lethal force if its not on the current GL's. 

If you apply for the individual licence it includes others ie magpie and rooks etc. 

Still waiting for mine 

To be fair I applied yesterday, it took about 20 minutes by the time I found all the imformation they wanted, it list's all the bird's and you have to tick the one's you want to shoot. Then the reasons and what you have tried before, designed to put people off I think.