BASC flags up general licence concerns to Michael Gove

BASC flags up general licence concerns to Michael Gove

May 9, 2019

BASC chairman Peter Glenser QC and chief executive Ian Bell have highlighted concerns to environment secretary Michael Gove about the general licence “chaos”.

Mr Gove attended a meeting of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Shooting and Conservation, for which BASC provides the secretariat, last night.

Mr Bell said: “The meeting was very positive. Mr Gove took the time to listen to our concerns. He also reiterated the importance of those in attendance and their members to contribute to the Defra review which will be collecting evidence until 5pm on Monday May 13th May.”

People can email Defra to outline how they have been affected on glevidence@defra.gov.uk

They can also complete a short online survey set up by BASC: https://www.research.net/r/BASC-GLsurvey

More than 12,000 people completed the BASC survey within 24 hours of its launch: https://basc.org.uk/blog/ne-general-licences/basc-survey-hits-12000-in-less-than-a-day/

ENDS

thank you Debbie for the update of the meeting, pity the BASC survey was not posted here on Tuesday.

12000 completed the survey? Just remind me how many members BASC has? Is this survey reaching people?

Edited by old'un

53 minutes ago, old'un said:

thank you Debbie for the update of the meeting, pity the BASC survey was not posted here on Tuesday.

12000 completed the survey? Just remind me how many members BASC has? Is this survey reaching people?

https://basc.org.uk/blog/press-releases/latest-news/membership-hits-a-record-breaking-150000/

A very good point. 10% response is not that huge

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Please remember that this applies to England. It does not affect those of us in Scotland Wales Ireland etc so that will remove a sizeable chunk of members. It is also about those who control the pest species. If you do not it does not apply to you either. Lets stop knocking BASC.

2 hours ago, old'un said:

I received mine by email as I'm a member. I presume you are too Old'un.  For those that will criticise the BASC, this is one of the benefits of being a member. The "Shooting show" always finishes with ".....Basc, looking after you, looking after your sport". If your not a member, how can they know who you are and send surveys to you? Theres a plethora of shooting forums out there.  Do you expect them to find them, or concentrate their efforts on this big issue on a short timescale. Its our responsibility to support an organisation that fights for us,  and if you don't support them, i.e., being a member, then you can't expect them to bat your corner!

If only 1200 have completed the survey out of the membership of 152,500 ( 2018 figures) I would think there are a lot of people who can't be bothered, thinking someone else can do it. Ask yourself the question, "I'm a member of BASC, received the email, but did I bother to respond?" If people don't act now, we deserve to lose it. I have done everything that I can, and been advise too.

Edited by turbo33

32 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Please remember that this applies to England. It does not affect those of us in Scotland Wales Ireland etc so that will remove a sizeable chunk of members. It is also about those who control the pest species. If you do not it does not apply to you either. Lets stop knocking BASC.

yet.

just out of interest, are you not able to fill the BASC survey in if you are not in England?

Edited by old'un

36 minutes ago, la bala said:

10% is downright diabolical I would say.

It also includes people like myself that are not members of BASC but took the trouble to fill it in. Apathy is a dangerous thing and those that stand against us are highly motivated!

Not sure that statistic of 10% is all that bad.  I imagine there are a lot of members who do not 'control pests'. 

I umm'd and ahhh'd whether to complete the survey or not, as I very rarely control pests so should it apply to me or not.  In the end I did complete the survey, but as I say, it's not something I routinely do.

Hayden

41 minutes ago, AYA117 said:

It also includes people like myself that are not members of BASC but took the trouble to fill it in. Apathy is a dangerous thing and those that stand against us are highly motivated!

Same here. I don't think anyone is knocking BASC on this one, more the apathy of too many of its members.

26 minutes ago, Hayden said:

Not sure that statistic of 10% is all that bad.  I imagine there are a lot of members who do not 'control pests'. 

I umm'd and ahhh'd whether to complete the survey or not, as I very rarely control pests so should it apply to me or not.  In the end I did complete the survey, but as I say, it's not something I routinely do.

Hayden

You need to look at the wider picture, if they push this through and we cant do pest control, its deer then grouse the partridge, pheasant.. No matter what shooting is done, filling in the survey will show we stand together.. I dont do alpt of wildfowling but i went to my local clubs meeting and put questions and thoughts forward to BASC who were there.. We all shoot, what ever discipline we need to stand as one group. Not sections. As sections we are vulnerable. As one we are a big group and force. 

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Same here. I don't think anyone is knocking BASC on this one, more the apathy of too many of its members.

I was not knocking BASC , the vast amount of their membership should be ashamed of themselves, I intend to become a member very soon.

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

You need to look at the wider picture, if they push this through and we cant do pest control, its deer then grouse the partridge, pheasant.. No matter what shooting is done, filling in the survey will show we stand together.. I dont do alpt of wildfowling but i went to my local clubs meeting and put questions and thoughts forward to BASC who were there.. We all shoot, what ever discipline we need to stand as one group. Not sections. As sections we are vulnerable. As one we are a big group and force. 

Completely agree. But as said, I did complete the survey, but I did question whether I should actually complete it, maybe we are all too honest for our own good.

Hayden

It may be that you live in Scotland, Wales or NI, it may be that you only shoot clays TODAY.....but it may also be, you wish to live quarry shoot in England TOMORROW.........you are a shooter, why should your opinion not count....or your input be blocked?

If you disagree with the revocation (and the way it was done by NE without notice and consultation) find a way to take part!

Edited by panoma1

3 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

+1  but we need to make sure this message gets out 

7 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

I am a Basc  member have been for years and I haven’t received any emails at all of them yet might give them a ring,  just wondering if all other members have,  to be honest I only knew about these petitions because I’m a member on here 

You may not be set up to get them, think you may have to go to the members pages on website and sign up to get the emails etc. Or check they have the right address for you. 

Yes you’re right that could be the case I’m going to check

4 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Save yourself the trouble of phoning; you can complete it by going onto the BASC website. Simples !

👍  thanks 

I wonder how many other members  are the same ?

Edited by silver fox 1

56 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

I am a Basc  member have been for years and I haven’t received any emails at all of them yet might give them a ring,  just wondering if all other members have,  to be honest I only knew about these petitions because I’m a member on here 

I think you have to agree to accept information? Something to do with the general data protection regs (GDPR)

Edited by panoma1