Just to say hello really - daystate new owner

riccie_beretta

As the subject states , I picked up a rather lovely Daystate Huntsman classic, In 0.20 Calibre, Actually it's this rifle https://www.gunstar.co.uk/daystate-huntsman-2-air-rifles/Air-Guns/1087950

And Ive Just paired  it with This Scope https://www.gunstar.co.uk/leupold-vx-ii-3-9x50mm-1-tube/Accessories/1090641?utm_source=emailWebsite&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=contact_confirmation_email&utm_term=_&email_stats_id=13271630

So I have quite a nice little outfit here, And am planning to get permission to use the gun For local rabbit pigeon and vermin control on nearby farms. 

36 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Nice scope, but parrallax is non adjustable and set at 90m - not really an Air Rifle scope?

What he said,for air rifle shooting you really need a scope that can focus in the real ranges you will be shooting at ie 10-50 yds

scopes with adj objective lens can be had for anything from £100 and up new and less if you buy used.

i have just bought a new Huntsman Regal HR in .177, fitted a Hawke Airmax 30 SF 4-16x50 it is an extremely accurate combination,it's only limiting factor being me 😏

9 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Hi 

Never understood why somebody would put a ****ty unbranded £20 scope on a £750 gun. Blows my mind. 

That leupold suits it much better 👍

haha, Iasked that. perfectly reasonable answer. chap owned and sells many rifles and said they never sell without a scope, so it needed to be bundled with a cheapy to shift it :)

I agree the Leupold is a good match 😁

3 hours ago, JJsDad said:

Well , the way things are going with the roll-out of the new general licence`s, you will have plenty of time to get a bit of target practice in ! 😥

yeah, its all  bit murky right now... I think it's a bit like a Blairite policy where law and practice are entirely disconnected ... essentially, I think people will carry on doing what they've always done.  Won't prevent me getting the shotgun out now and again.. 

2 hours ago, nrj said:

What he said,for air rifle shooting you really need a scope that can focus in the real ranges you will be shooting at ie 10-50 yds

scopes with adj objective lens can be had for anything from £100 and up new and less if you buy used.

i have just bought a new Huntsman Regal HR in .177, fitted a Hawke Airmax 30 SF 4-16x50 it is an extremely accurate combination,it's only limiting factor being me 😏

Hmm... Have I made a bum-choice here..? 

I'm sure that if you search for the scopes specs you will find that it is designed for full bore use - normally 100 yards or 90 mtr. Google your scopes model and put parallax into the title you will find conformation. Might be wrong but I have a nasty habit of being right - you really need an Air Rifle designated scope or one with PX adjustment - Nikko Gameking would be my choice (about £50 used) but there are soooooo many others - many will suggest Hawke but I have never found their optics up to Nikko for quality - but everybody's eyes are different. Try before you buy - price is no guarantee that the scope will love you.

6 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I'm sure that if you search for the scopes specs you will find that it is designed for full bore use - normally 100 yards or 90 mtr. Google your scopes model and put parallax into the title you will find conformation. Might be wrong but I have a nasty habit of being right - you really need an Air Rifle designated scope or one with PX adjustment - Nikko Gameking would be my choice (about £50 used) but there are soooooo many others - many will suggest Hawke but I have never found their optics up to Nikko for quality - but everybody's eyes are different. Try before you buy - price is no guarantee that the scope will love you.

**cries*

😱

6 hours ago, nrj said:

image.jpeg

is that yours? ^ looks sublime 

54 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

It's no biggy. A change of scope will help you get the most out of a cracking rifle. I have the Hawke Airmax 30 and it's perfect for air rifle use. 

54 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

It's no biggy. A change of scope will help you get the most out of a cracking rifle. I have the Hawke Airmax 30 and it's perfect for air rifle use. 

I guess, but I now have to advertise and shift the Leuopold!

Edited by riccie_beretta

19 minutes ago, riccie_beretta said:

is that yours? ^ looks sublime 

I guess, but I now have to advertise and shift the Leuopold!

Shouldn't be too hard. There's probably some loon who wants to shove it on the top of an air rifle ;)

It's a great scope, so someone will have it!

Keep it, and either adjust the px, ultrastu on here recently explained how to do it on non px adjustable scopes like yours or buy a cheaper hawke or nikko to put on. No point losing money unless it was bought secondhand and then you won't lose much. 

Also it will be fine on lower zoom for closer range stuff, just won't be able to have 9x at 20 yards 

I rarely go over 6x with a air rifle and dont specifically use adjustable px 

Keep it, you might go for a firearms ticket before long and could put it on a rf/cf as well

Edited by strimmer_13

Dont get all girlie and start flogging your valuables - practice mounting your rifle as often as you can and if you move you head back slightly from the perfect eye relief position (ie you can see a black ring around the edge of your sight picture) you can use this ring to ensure that your eye is central - you can do this without even thinking about it after a while - you can never practice too much -fair to say that an experienced shot with a Bicycle pump, a length of hose and a Pea will out shoot a rookie with a Ripley every day. Apologies if my post has caused you concern over your outfit - it's an extremely capable outfit and looks stunning.

The picture is my actual rifle,I paid an extra £50 for select walnut,since I've had it I've given it a few quick coats of Slippery Dic#s stock wax and it just keeps getting better.Ive also swopped out the standard shroud for a Huggett as I wanted to fit a Huggett Snipe moderator and really liked the look of the shroud/mod combination,I can't say hand on heart it's quieter than any quality moderator but it does look nice.

With reference to your scope,it is a very nice scope but will definately limit you on an air rifle,it is set to give you sharp focus at 100yds as most full bore riflescopes are.What you need is An airgun specific scope where you can adjust the focus distance either via the objective (front) lens or via a side focus wheel,these normally allow you to focus from 10yds to infinity.They will also give you a basic rangefinding guide as you focus on your exact target and then read off the distance on the lens barrel or sidewheel and you get a better idea of your range to target,crucial with air rifle loopy trajectories.

when you go shopping look for the designation AO (adjustable objective) or SF (side focus) all the air rifle retailers will have plenty to choose from, I like Hawke scopes but have had Nikko and MTC recently,I think Hawke have more airgun specific models to choose from than most.Look at Optics Warehouse,their website is very informative and they have special offers most weeks,they have a very decent Nikko Sirling Target Master 4-16x44  side focus on offer at the moment at £99.95  !! what a bargain, this would be a perfect scope for your rifle and won't break the bank,hope this helps.

Edited by nrj

Looks good to me,certainly the right spec for air rifle shooting,I have a front lens hood that extends beyond the objective lens and is very useful if you are shooting in bright sunlight especially into the sun,might be worth checking if you can get one as an accessory for this scope.Also make sure you get the right height scope mounts to make sure the sight picture is spot on when you mount the rifle and also has enough clearance for the magazine..

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2019 at 21:54, riccie_beretta said:

thanks for the help so far. Something like this perhaps..? https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/nikko-stirling-panamax-long-range-6-18x50-ao-ir/

Only just seen this post! I would miss having a a low magnification optiong (x3 or x4) for air rifle shooting. Obviously, as you increase the mag you lose FOV, and for short ranges - for rat shooting and the like - it's really useful to be able to see a bit more through your scope. For hunting, x12 mag is about the maximum you'd really need with an air rifle. I used to have x16, but rarelly used the high mag and now my 3-12 Airmax 30 is just about perfect.

hello, just get your self a Hawke scope, 4 x 12 or ?  x 50 vantage, half mil dot, i prefer non AO and no red/green thingy,  zero at 25/30/40 yards which ever will be ideal range, . if your go to hunting you need to be good at judging distance,  hawks have life time warranty, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

• 1 month later...