The Elephant in the pie!

In my view the agenda of a "nominated body" for our side should include.

1, Proof of non lethal methods being used prior to the use of lethal methods is removed as a requirement; on the basis that there is enough evidence to prove that such methods are marginal to ineffective and also that pre-emptive control in the general  vicinity is also a key tool in crop protection meaning that you don't have to be sat in the actual crop field!!

2, It appears that the current law of tresspass linked with being guilty of action likely to cause a breach of the peace is just not being used. A new crime to be considered; tresspass with intent to harris, or actual harrisment of anyone carrying out a lawful activity, particularly if the person(s) carrying out the lawful activity are doing so with a shotgun!

3, Lastly my key issue which I will return to time and time again. Rabbits are technically classed as both vermin and ground game, I can shoot them to control numbers, reduce crop damage etc etc and importantly i can also shoot them solely with the intent of putting them in a pie for my tea.  Why  can't we achieve the same dual status for pigeon????? or do they exist on a higher level than english partridge and grouse??

Edited by sanibel686

2 hours ago, JDog said:

A meaningless and pointless statement if ever I saw one.

Why? It was never legal to just shoot pigeons for meat. It still isn't. 

3 hours ago, sanibel686 said:

I think you'll find we've moved the discussion on since this exact sentiment was expressed in post 2 of the thread. Have you anything constructive to share??

Nope. Nothing else thanks. 

15 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

Why? It was never legal to just shoot pigeons for meat. It still isn't. 

You couldn't be more wrong, you aren't thinking wide enough, The history of wildlife management was borne out of the long held rite of landowners to consider ALL wildlife as a simple resource to be used as they wished, then came the forest laws and eventually the Game laws, which regulated the right to kill certain kinds of fish and other wild animals.

Therefore it has been illegal for a relatively small period of time in the grand scheme of things to kill pigeons solely for meat.

To the current day where this pest has been growing in numbers year on year there is no need to have artificial constructs preventing it's killing for food.  

36 minutes ago, sanibel686 said:

You couldn't be more wrong, you aren't thinking wide enough, The history of wildlife management was borne out of the long held rite of landowners to consider ALL wildlife as a simple resource to be used as they wished, then came the forest laws and eventually the Game laws, which regulated the right to kill certain kinds of fish and other wild animals.

Therefore it has been illegal for a relatively small period of time in the grand scheme of things to kill pigeons solely for meat.

To the current day where this pest has been growing in numbers year on year there is no need to have artificial constructs preventing it's killing for food.  

Well. Yeah. If you go back far enough nothing was illegal. 

We live in uncertain but interesting times and at this very moment in time we are awaiting the outcome of an all too brief all to heated consultation, that as the potential to either pitch us into a a complicated world of bureaucracy and restriction, or we could be looking at genuine constructive thought out changes in legislation where certain pest and predators are put on a quarry list to be controlled by any authorised person .

As it is now we should not have very long to wait before we will have the pure facts laid before us , and all the debate can move from speculation and we can take proceedings to the next stage.

The world was much simpler before 1979, and in fairness to the General license as then issued it worked for 40 years and would have worked another 40 years if not challenged . Lets hope the pending outcomes Solve the problem we have at the moment not add to it.

Adding certain birds to a quarry list i think would be a positive move, it would stop any misuse or misinterpretation and at least clarify our position in law.

A couple of questions i would like answering as i have no firm opinions on from research is

1. Are any rules drawn up by defra final. in that is this it apart from say appeal if we can apeal. or is this just a pre requisite for a longer more detailed consultation long term. ?

2 When issued will the new GLs revert back and  be in the domain OF Junipers NE or are they still firmly in the hands of DEFRA from now on. ?