Bird feeding advice.

Doc Holliday

Morning all. Wasn't sure whether this is the right place for this but I'm sure the mods will relocate it if not. Mrs H & I spend a fair bit on burd feed and feeders over the course of the year and we have had some beautiful species visit our garden including a female Kestrel the other weekend after one of the House Sparrows. My own personal favourites are the Goldfinches but they have been scarce of late. We were also very lucky to have a pair of Blue Tits nesting in our neighbour's ground floor eaves and we would watch their coming and going. 

The thing is, these lesser species now seem nowhere to be seen and I'm fairly sure it is down to some of the bully bird species like Starlings and Feral Pigeons. The Starlings flock en masse when I fill up the 3 suet feeders and cleat the border of mealworms I scatter for the foraging breeds like Blackbird, Thrush & Robin. This morning  I counted at least 18 Feral Pigeons in, on or around the ground feeder. It was only about 8 months ago we would get a few and I wasn't keen in them then but Mrs H said she likes them as they pick up all the spilled seed from the feeders. They do but they also pig all the seed put out for ground feeding species. 

I have thought maybe changing the types of feeder but after doing a quick search found results from another forum from 2010. I use the Gardman feeders for suet and mixed seed that have the twist 'D' ring/perches as they are relatively easy to clean. I also have a couple of tall feeders which I use solely  for sunflower hearts that unscrew easily, again for ease of maintenance. The latter tend to be the ones the Goldfinches prefer but because of the high number of Starlings, it tends to stay full and eventually have to throw the sunflower hearts away.

I know the Starlings and Ferals are opportunists but I want to discourage them and try to coax back the lesser species. Sensible replies please people. I am looking to discourage nuisance species. I can't shoot the ferals as we are on an estate and I think hanging out the bedroom window with my S410 may cause an eyebrow or three to be raised. Thanks, Doc.

I had the same problem with larger birds taking over.

Tried various squirrel and large bird proof feeders. Nothing really worked as although the larger birds couldn't access the feeder, they would eat the seed that was spilt. After a while, the pigeons learned that if they took it in turns to land on top of the feeder, seed would fall out. Their pals would then eat the seed on the ground. It was quite interesting to see this learned behaviour. This meant we had lots of pigeons and other unwanted species but few small birds.

What I done to solve this was very simple and cheap..

I bought long bamboo canes and some 3" by 2" plastic covered wire netting from B&Q.

I built a pyramid shaped frame with the canes, fastened with cable ties. At the bottom, the legs being spread out 3 or 4 feet apart,  narrow at the top where the canes joined. Approx 6ft in height.

I then fastened the netting onto the canes using cable ties. Making a small door that can be open or closed to allow access to feeders inside.

The feeders hang inside this contraption. Any seed that falls stays within the pyramid so pigeons have nothing to eat. Up to Blackbird size birds can get in (this means Starlings can get in too, but you could reduce netting size to keep them out). The small birds love it as it gives them protection from kestrels etc too.

If I could upload a picture it would show how simple it is and easy to make. But very effective, it has completely solved our pigeon problems 

I find the cage type squirrel proof pretty good against larger birds.  I do have a couple of pigeons and collared doves that clean up underneath, but they don't seem to bother the smaller birds.  I do also occasionally have a carrion crow - and at present I have to 'shoo' it away, which works temporarily.  No starlings at present, so I can't comment on their 'deterrent' effect.

I don't feed on the ground deliberately, and the robins visit the feeders.

Goldfinches LOVE chickweed, dandelions and the like so if you have a corner in the garden ...........

My wife will not let me scatter the pairs of wood pigeons who frequent our garden feeders.or the squizzers that rag the nuts feeders and fat balls to bits.

We have long tail,great and blue tits but not in large numbers a pair of green finches and a pair of bull finches coming in a few times a day. The odd robin too but can be a bit of a bully.

Watched a male blackbird sit on the mixed seed feeder and just scatter seed out allover the floor for the Dunocks and other ground feeding birds.seen this a few times now where a blackbird will spread the seed out then feed itself. Don't mind the odd pigeon or collared dove but by they hoover a good amount up.

Thought of getting the caged type to stop the pigeons.

Edited by figgy

2 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

A caged area under the feeders from 50 x 50 weld mesh about 400 high works well.

I use the green plastic garden plant climber, (rolls are about 5m long x 0.5m wide)  for the same use, again 50x50 mesh, I've formed it around various bird tables and feeders, and ground cages.

I made a small bird table with my lad, not a lot of room on it, blackbirds are fine on it but pigeon and magpies can't get in so they can't hammer the food, I'm quite happy if the pigeon clean up any mess, keeps four legged critters away, but i can shoot from my windows so rats or squirrels don't get much food.

you could easily put mesh on the sides to further restrict access for lager birds, or make a cage out of mesh and hang your fat balls and suet inside, the species you don't want will soon clear off once the easy food is gone, this is how they feed the reds at Formby and the cages are always covered in magpies and crows waiting for food to be dropped.

Also don't forget you shouldn't be seeing the birds as much now, they should be eating natural food, bugs etc.

11 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

My wife feeds the birds daily and we have a few regular wood pigeons and squirrels much to my disgust. To allow the small birds access to the ground food she puts three metal hanging baskets upside down with a cane holding them, this seem to work.

I was going to suggest just the same. Two or three inverted large hanging baskets, put a brick on top to stop them being pushed over. This would allow the smaller birds access but make life for ferals very difficult. Starlings are clever birds and will find a way whatver you do and even hang on our peanut feeders.

Our big problem are rooks and jackdaws, we have a rookery on the opposite side of the road and only at breeding time do they mob the feeders.   I used to just shoot one and hang it up or even live it lay on the yard and it would stop them for a week or so, but of course that option is no longer available, so we just shush them off.

22 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I find the cage type squirrel proof pretty good against larger birds.  I do have a couple of pigeons and collared doves that clean up underneath, but they don't seem to bother the smaller birds.  I do also occasionally have a carrion crow - and at present I have to 'shoo' it away, which works temporarily.  No starlings at present, so I can't comment on their 'deterrent' effect.

I don't feed on the ground deliberately, and the robins visit the feeders.

Goldfinches LOVE chickweed, dandelions and the like so if you have a corner in the garden ...........

Interesting point here, we have to shoo away crows etc but could maybe prosecuted for persecuting all other species, as they are all protected?

18 hours ago, twenty said:

I use the green plastic garden plant climber, (rolls are about 5m long x 0.5m wide)  for the same use, again 50x50 mesh, I've formed it around various bird tables and feeders, and ground cages.

Mesh is my way too.

I welcome the Starlings , they have been thin on the ground round here.(north Essex coast)

We lost Greenfinch about two years back and as for Song Thrush I haven't even heard one( garden) maybe three or more years.

Surely slug pellets in gardens do no good.

Now we have Herring Gulls on the ground ! and only fly off if   I go out shooing? them!

Eejits feed them and they have little fear.

Also no Black cap this year.