Wood Pigeon Shooting from a Legal Perspective.

Are there any Policemen, Solicitors or other legal professionals within the PW Membership who are happy to shoot out there under the latest General Licence No 31?

Whilst we wait for Natural England, DEFRA, the Home Office and Michael Gove to get their collective bottoms in to gear and sort this out I thought it may be interesting to see if any one is happy to state that they are continuing to shoot with the amount of conditions of non lethal "scaring" that is listed on GL31.

We have got the go ahead and I am happy to comply with the non lethal requirements so lets stop worrying and get out in the countryside again and shoot a few pigeons .

Tomorrow I am going on some rape that have been topped due to pigeon damage in the winter months , the chances anyone picking faults in what I will doing are virtually nil and I think that will be the case with 99.9 of anyone else who is shooting over a valuable crop .

Time to get off the key board and get back to where we left off before this silly episode came into play .

:shoot: 

heard shooting the other day coming from a field on the outskirts of the village I live in.

Within 20 minutes or so the police helicopter was hovering above said field.

Is it coincidence or are Durham police willing to waste taxpayers cash (although with the "unlimited fine" if convicted)

money isn't really an issue.

49 minutes ago, gotgcoalman said:

heard shooting the other day coming from a field on the outskirts of the village I live in.

Is it coincidence or are Durham police willing to waste taxpayers cash (although with the "unlimited fine" if convicted)

No coincidence I would say.  Given Durham have received accolades for the best performing force in UK this past week?  The Saturday after this debacle broke we were in the farmyard talking to our farmers where we shoot and the helicopter came over - hmmm?  Given that there is only one helicopter now for Northumbria, Tyne and Wear, Durham and Cleveland they are going to be flying around like blue based flies are they not if every gunshot is reported?

We have had them hovering over us in the past as we are fairly near a reservoir where birdwatchers etc go but we are legit and carry our written permissions with us.  They soon buzzed off.  I think we will get the clay trap out soon, fire a few clays off and see what the reaction is............

1 hour ago, gotgcoalman said:

Huge waste of tax payers money and policr time/resources.. 

The other thing to remember is regarding Durham Police is that they have some ground to make up over the Horden shooting case and the fact that previous firearms officers were fired following the discovery that they had been privately selling seized guns.  So a successful arrest of illegal shooting in breach of the GL's would be a Brownie point?

Remember that even the new GL's already issued allow non lethal shooting to scare corvids etc.  That is what we have done in the past and will do currently to maintain our right. 

1 minute ago, gotgcoalman said:

I'm now thinking about loading a belt of blanks to test the theory.

bang away using non lethal carts and see who turns up.

Although that would be a waste of tax payers money if air and ground support were called out.

Do it at the weekend, then you will be left alone by the Military! 

8 hours ago, gotgcoalman said:

I've been out today.  Fired a few off randomly into the air, sat on an old trailer but no helicopter appeared even though I waited 30 mins or so.  Lovely sunny day until the squalls blew in.

As an after thought 80 grains of BP through the muzzle loading 12 will be more audible.

Re load time is an issue though.

Load all out now and  I'm making a few for testing tomorrow at "an informal clay ground"

Providing they go BANG I'll make more for use in the field.

56 minutes ago, Katzenjammer said:

I've been out today.  Fired a few off randomly into the air, sat on an old trailer but no helicopter appeared even though I waited 30 mins or so.  Lovely sunny day until the squalls blew in.

Better keep the doors locked, they'll be after you shortly, the Rapid Response team are always looking for trouble!

I heard from my FEO it was £30k to send up the chopper? They can't do that too many times......bad enough when the townies phoned in saying there a man with a gun in Wiltshire........leaving out, in a 200 acre field, with his stool, flask, sandwiches, Labrador, and a hat like Jdogs'!!

3 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

I heard from my FEO it was £30k to send up the chopper? They can't do that too many times......bad enough when the townies phoned in saying there a man with a gun in Wiltshire........leaving out, in a 200 acre field, with his stool, flask, sandwiches, Labrador, and a hat like Jdogs'!!

Roughly about £1000 per hour in the air, but as you say they will not be able to do it too often.

Can you imagine getting the chopper out for something so trivial, can't see the Chief Constable wearing that for long!

Well if we all buy a  couple of ropes of magnum bangers let the police chopper investigate the reports of gun shots after  a week they will have blown the budget ,then its business as usual.👍🚁

Helicopters are great for flushing pigeons out the trees.

Edited by Bluebarrels

27 minutes ago, Bluebarrels said:

Well if we all buy a  couple of ropes of magnum bangers let the police chopper investigate the reports of gun shots after  a week they will have blown the budget ,then its business as usual.👍🚁

Helicopters are great for flushing pigeons out the trees.

Good idea!:good:

Helicopters are good, Nimrods were better!

300px-British_Aerospace_Nimrod_MR.2,_United_Kingdom_-_Royal_Air_Force_(RAF)_JP506967.jpg

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh yes, they were good too, but they would never let me shoot from on board, thankfully I could shoot from the Merlins though!:w00t:

The only plane we ever had landing while we were pigeon shooting was a Catalina that landed on the lake , the first time he tried to land he aborted it and went around again and then this time he made it , the splash was quite spectacular and every pigeon in the area was on the move all at the same time , well worth seeing the pilot landing it on the water :good: