EFRA Review of the GL issues - A letter to my MP

Dear Mr. X, I do wonder at the other processes around the review of the chaos caused by the GL revocation, let me expand on that statement a little.

A one-off evidence session allowing MPs to question Defra and Natural England on the general licence chaos which will hopefully “paint a clearer picture” of how the decision was reached and provide clarity on the way forward is scheduled for the 21st of May.

At this meeting there will be Defra Ministers and the interim chief executive of Natural England, Marian Spain. There will be, however, no other parties or individuals that represent either farming or shooting bodies.

The session, chaired by EFRA Committee chairman Neil Parish also includes the following MPs.

Alan Brown Scottish National Party

Angela Smith Change UK – The Independent Group
David Simpson Democratic Unionist Party             
John Grogan Labour
Kerry McCarthy Labour
Sandy Martin Labour
Dr Caroline Johnson       Conservative
Mrs Sheryll Murray Conservative       
Julian Sturdy Conservative

Firstly, I wonder at the inclusion of two ministers whose devolved Parliaments suggest that they should not really be present when matters affecting English legislation is under review (Alan Brown and David Simpson). Secondly, I am not sure why Angela Smith is included either (Change UK, a party only formed in the last few months?). Finally and most worryingly, the inclusion of Kerry McCarthy. Her presence at this review is deeply troubling and reeks of bias. When you review Kerry’s background you will discover that she is a vegan (nothing wrong with that, we all make our own choices in life) and an animal rights supporter - in which world is that to be considered a ’neutral’ position?

Two of her most recent questions in Parliament were:

Asked on: 07 May 2019
Q: Asked by Kerry McCarthy (Bristol East)
'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons.
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Commons
To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, how many pheasant (a) eggs for hatching and (b) live birds were imported into England from each (a) EU and (b) third country in the last 12 months for which figures are available.

Asked on: 07 May 2019
Q: Asked by Kerry McCarthy (Bristol East)
'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons.
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Commons
To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, how many partridge (a) eggs for hatching and (b) live birds were imported into England from each (a) EU country and (b) third country in the last 12 months for which figures are available.

Clearly, unequivocally, a case of bias against the shooting and hunting industries in this country by this particular MP - why is she there? How is she to remain impartial?

I ask again, how can the electorate so affected by this utter omnishambles, have any faith in a ‘review’ by EFRA when the MPs taking part exhibit clear bias and/or a disassociation from matters affecting England?

I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,

Mick Miller.
Edited by mick miller

Well done Mick, if all the above are facts and 100% and I am not doubting your research before sending to your MP, then with your approval it might be a good idea if PW members copy this and send it to their MP, any thoughts on this suggestion?  

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmquestionbook/noq190508.pdf

https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/environment-food-and-rural-affairs-committee/membership/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_McCarthy

Personal life

McCarthy is a vegan, and has given talks on the subject. She was a presenter at the Vegan Society's 2005 annual awards.[29] She divides her time between Bristol and London, and is a part-owner of a house in Luton.[30]She is a vice-president of the League Against Cruel Sports.[31]

Edited by mick miller