Time running out to have say on general licences, says BASC

Time running out to have say on general licences, says BASC

May 10 2019

BASC is reminding members time is running out to tell Defra of the impact of the general licence chaos.

People have until 5pm on Monday (May 13th) to email Defra to say how they have been affected by Natural England’s decision to withdraw licences for the control of 16 ‘pest’ species.

And the deadline for completing BASC’s short online survey is 5pm tomorrow. Information from this survey will feed into BASC’s official response to Defra’s review into the general licences.

More than 22,000 people have so far completed BASC’s survey and the UK’s largest shooting organisation has also been fielding an extra 1,000 telephone phone calls each day on general licences.

Ian Danby, BASC’s head of biodiversity, this morning told BBC Radio 4’s Farming Today programme that listeners should sieze the chance to make their views known to Defra.

“It’s crucial people engage with the process,” he said. “The response so far to our survey has been phenomenal. More than 12,000 people responded in the first 24 hours and that figure continues to rise.

“People who haven’t yet done so should now use the time left to respond. BASC’s survey takes just five minutes to complete. Put that time to good use and make your views known.”

Visitors to this weekend’s Northern Shooting Show will be able to fill in the BASC survey on the BASC stand up until 5pm tomorrow.

People can email Defra to outline how they have been affected on glevidence@defra.gov.uk 

Click here to fill in BASC’s survey: https://www.research.net/r/BASC-GLsurvey

The BBC Radio 4 programme can be heard here (from 6 mins 40): https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0004spw

ENDS

17 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

But not surprising, not all wildfowlers do pest control, not all clay shooters do, they won't see it as effecting them, they are short sighted to say the least. 

A good few clay shooters have no interest in ever shooting any live quarry, so they can hardly be called "short sighted" as it clearly won't affect them.

Of some concern to me, as a clay shooter who does shoot live quarry, is where is this going to end up, Game shooting must be next on their list of priority targets..?

Cat.

20 minutes ago, Catamong said:

A good few clay shooters have no interest in ever shooting any live quarry, so they can hardly be called "short sighted" as it clearly won't affect them.

Of some concern to me, as a clay shooter who does shoot live quarry, is where is this going to end up, Game shooting must be next on their list of priority targets..?

Cat.

If they are targeting gun owners, theb the clay shooting community is also at threat! Dont think this is just aimed at the live shooting community... 

You would be surprised at how many shooters are totally oblivious to what’s happening, spoke to a mate midweek, he was telling me last Sunday he attended his local clay ground, it’s a small clay shoot but most shoot live stuff, my mate walked around the shoot asking people if they were aware of the situation, out of the 30 or so that he spoke to some just said…’heard something from a mate, it will blow over’…only 9 were fully aware and planned on doing something, amazing.

10 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

I dare bet a gross percentage of shooters don't even know about it...an email to every member from all the shooting orgs of the first post would make them aware.

Making people aware does not equate to them doing **** all! Like most Wildfowling clubs, all the work is done by a handful of members, the majority believe paying their subs and going shooting is the limit of their responsibility to the sport.........unsurprisingly despite the best efforts of the few who get involved and do something............they are the ones to moan first when it all goes **** up!

16 hours ago, PPP said:

BASC should be ashamed of 20% sign up of their own members and 4% of licence holders

Its not BASC at fault, its the members not signing. You can lead a horse to water... 

If people dont sign, aren't effected by it etc etc... That is the shooters fault not the Organisation... 

11 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Its not BASC at fault, its the members not signing. You can lead a horse to water... 

If people dont sign, aren't effected by it etc etc... That is the shooters fault not the Organisation... 

I agree with the first part about members not signing, but you would be surprised how many BASC members have not heard a thing from BASC, I have been a member of WAGBI/BASC for 50+ years, I only found out about it when someone posted the news of the withdrawal on PW.

1 minute ago, old'un said:

I agree with the first part about members not signing, but you would be surprised how many BASC members have not heard a thing from BASC, I have been a member of WAGBI/BASC for 50+ years, I only found out about it when someone posted the news of the withdrawal on PW.

Okay, so you didn't get the email? Or any emails? Check you are signed up to the correct subscriptions on basc. GDPR  meant that alot of people would of been auto opted out of any subscribed emails. I have had loads of emails from BASC about this. Some may not of gotten emails due to the opt out issue GDPR caused. 

I know also that some wont even have email or tech, some will see it and think its not effecting them, some people don't do pest control. So straight away they'll say doesn't effect me. 

10 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

some people don't do pest control. So straight away they'll say doesn't effect me. 

I has nothing to do with it not affecting me, you simply cannot, if you tell the truth, fill out the survey. If you answer no to the first question the survey ends.

Edited by Newbie to this

18 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I has nothing to do with it not affecting me, you simply cannot, if you tell the truth, fill out the survey. If you answer no to the first question the survey ends.

Im sorry, but there are people out there that will have that attitude, survey or not.. 

I also agree the survey will end at Q1 for alot of people that wanted to fill it in..