Ridgeback pup

walshie

In another few weeks, we're going to be in the market for a Ridgeback bitch pup. Googling brought up the name of a breeder we had a bitch from many years ago (1998) who is due a litter in a few weeks, so was obviously our first choice to phone. This breeder's dogs really are top-of-the-line show quality dogs, so we knew they weren't going to be cheap. We don't care about show-quality but we know her line is healthy and long-lived.

Mrs w just got off the phone with her and I was correct. Cheap is not the word.

£2500!!! For a puppy? Worst thing is mrs w has her heart set on one now, but £2.5k is better than a sex ban and the silent treatment for months I guess. 

Edited by walshie

If that is the going rate - you might have to pay it. I would be looking at another breed, but each to his / her own.

I have had four German Shepherds, three Japanese Akitas and my eldest has a Bernese Mountain Dog. Over a period of many years, prices for all have increased. GSDs were hundreds, Akitas were many hundreds, but the Bernese was approaching £2k.

43 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

If that is the going rate - you might have to pay it. I would be looking at another breed, but each to his / her own.

I have had four German Shepherds, three Japanese Akitas and my eldest has a Bernese Mountain Dog. Over a period of many years, prices for all have increased. GSDs were hundreds, Akitas were many hundreds, but the Bernese was approaching £2k.

Yeah, looks like it. 

We've had Ridgebacks for many years and it's the breed for us. First time we've been without one for a long, long time and the hole needs filling now. 

Edited by walshie

We did look at Ridgebacks many years ago. Went with a mate to buy a car - dealer had a pair of them. Quite tall and well proportioned. A striking breed.

Couple of friends who emigrated to Australia both have Ridgies. The dog of choice for many over there.

9 hours ago, shootgun said:

Lovely dogs, here is my bitch , Vesna

D129C623-03EE-41D5-9D95-67180D918AF5.jpeg

55FB2B11-940B-4418-B3B6-F87379BECF47.jpeg

Is that a Thai Ridgeback? Nice looking girl!. We've always had Rhodesian Rodgebacks, which is what we're looking at at the moment. 

On 10/05/2019 at 15:34, walshie said:

£2500!!! For a puppy? Worst thing is mrs w has her heart set on one now, but £2.5k is better than a sex ban and the silent treatment for months I guess. 

As for the sex ban and the silent treatment at my age that wouldn't hurt as much as the two and a half grand . :lol:

Joking aside , they look lovely dogs and like everything else in life the prices of dogs are on the rise , I have always had Labradors and I would say at a guess they have gone up roughly £10 a year over the last 50 years or so ,  from my first one , a tenner to around £500 or more now.

GOOD LUCK with your new family member :good:

The dog breeder if it’s the one in Yorkshire produce excellent looking puppies yes expensive but they are cracking dogs we have had a few from them. P.s. just say yes okay which one do you want love.......you won’t win if you visit them and they are all in the kitchen running round your feet. And remember it’s really your Ridgy !!! Good luck filling your Ridgeback sized hole!

On 10/05/2019 at 15:34, walshie said:

In another few weeks, we're going to be in the market for a Ridgeback bitch pup. Googling brought up the name of a breeder we had a bitch from many years ago (1998) who is due a litter in a few weeks, so was obviously our first choice to phone. This breeder's dogs really are top-of-the-line show quality dogs, so we knew they weren't going to be cheap. We don't care about show-quality but we know her line is healthy and long-lived.

Mrs w just got off the phone with her and I was correct. Cheap is not the word.

Think of it as around £200+ a year for all that fun and unconditional love. Very cheap then.  :)

Ignore the food and vets bills. They are the same for a cheap large dog. Or maybe more vets bills if not bred healthily.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

On 13/05/2019 at 09:38, marsh man said:

As for the sex ban and the silent treatment at my age that wouldn't hurt as much as the two and a half grand . 

Joking aside , they look lovely dogs and like everything else in life the prices of dogs are on the rise , I have always had Labradors and I would say at a guess they have gone up roughly £10 a year over the last 50 years or so ,  from my first one , a tenner to around £500 or more now.

GOOD LUCK with your new family member :good:

Youd be lucky for £500 ... people asking between £800-£1200 a pup now - some knobs asking for top dollar for any bitch who they’re throwing the current in FTCH over and got forbid you want a “fox red” (yellow) one as it’s silly money. 

Paid £400 for my lab must be about 9 years ago now (time flies) a FTW x another good dog, the breeder had a litter to keep some back to run himself. 

Ive found many lads who trial and breed for themselves and sell the odd pup are charging much less than folks who’s bitches are little more than a pet, stick either any old dog or the current FTCH over and demand a high price. 

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Youd be lucky for £500 ... people asking between £800-£1200 a pup now - some knobs asking for top dollar for any bitch who they’re throwing the current in FTCH over and got forbid you want a “fox red” (yellow) one as it’s silly money. 

Paid £400 for my lab must be about 9 years ago now (time flies) a FTW x another good dog, the breeder had a litter to keep some back to run himself. 

Ive found many lads who trial and breed for themselves and sell the odd pup are charging much less than folks who’s bitches are little more than a pet, stick either any old dog or the current FTCH over and demand a high price. 

If I was buying one today my maximum budget would be £500 , agreed , I might not get a puppy from a litter of top trialing dogs , but as I have never put any of my dogs into trials I am not to bothered about buying from the top guys , all my dogs have come from local stock and have been honest and genuine working dogs .

One example , the head keeper where I worked was brilliant with dogs and in the late 60s won the major trialing event at the time , he bred his bitch with a good looking local dog and all the puppies bar one were sold with two of them going to Sweden , the one dog puppy left had a strip of White down his chest and that alone put people off , my old dog at the time was getting on a bit so I offered to buy it and as it was the last one and nobody wanted it he let me have it for £100 , if I had to say what was my best dog I have had throughout my life , I would say that dog , as he got older he had a double coat and his White strip wasn't that noticeable and he relied on his own instinct , he marked well and used any breeze to his advantage and not relying on me for instructions like a lot of today's trialing dogs do , as a lot of my wildfowl shooting was and is in near dark conditions the dog needs to think for itself and that one certainly did .

I am not knocking trialing dogs in any way as there are some excellent ones about , far to clever for me , but I am more than happy with what I have got. 

• 3 weeks later...

My boy is now 7, black lab got at 1 year, was going in a dogs home next day, kept in a 6x8 kitchen 14 hrs a day without any attention, loved but left all day he had destroyed the kitchen, thought he might be too far gone.

Turns out best dog in the world (well to me) tried training him with a professional, turns out dog knows what he's doing, I don't! He beats with me, retreves well, will never win a competition, sometimes mugs other dogs for a retrieve, but on our informal shoot he works.

He had a lump removed 2 weeks ago, was cancerous but they got it, won't ever get a better dog, might get one better trained, but not one better, I'm sure a lot if you know what I mean!! 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 15:34, walshie said:

2500!!! For a puppy? Worst thing is mrs w has her heart set on one now, but £2.5k is better than a sex ban and the silent treatment for months I guess. 

Edited May 10 by walshie

Does seem a lot, but when you know the breeder and the line you at least know what your getting.

Do you even remember how much your last pup was? Our GWP was £450 i think 16/17 years ago, there around a grand now. I would imagine there are fewer breeders of Ridgebacks so they can ask a higher price?