Oh no! ATA Supersport

Wingman

Hi All

Went to buy some cartridges today and was chatting to the owner of the RFD and we got onto the topic of cheap vs. expensive guns.  He duly whipped out a brand new ATA Supersport apparently a brand new model, with 32" barrels adjustable comb and a piece of walnut that made my Perazzi look like a Baikal!  What a lovely handling gun, I have to say I am super impressed with the build quality and handling so much so that the thought crossed my mind to buy it.  Well I didn't purchase it then and there, but after handling it for a good 10 mins, I begrudgingly  handed it back and asked him to put it to one side until tomorrow so I can have a ponder.   So I have 24 hours to do some research and decide what to do, I would be really keen to get any views or comments on people that own ATA shotguns, especially around reliability, robustness etc.I have been after a gun with an adjustable comb and 32" tubes for a while and this really did feel better than its rather small price tag.

I guess the only thing holding me back from getting the cash out is a bit of brand snobbery but I can get over that and the fat forend that looks a bit like its carved from a fence post, albeit a very nicely figured walnut one!

Any views appreciated guys!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already own 2 Turkish guns, a Yildiz .410 and a Webley & Scott 920K, both used by my sons and they have been spot on, no issues since I bought either of them.  But if you compare the ATA to either of these it feels much better, overall fit and finish is excellent and at the end of the day if I can hit things I dont really care if I am using a cheap Turkish gun or my old Perazzi.  In fact on that note I had the Perazzi with me at the time (mine is an MT6) and dare I say it but handling both guns side by side the ATA felt better.  My MT6 is a bit of a lump quite heavy and although I shoot well with it I dont think its ever fitted me perfectly.

Got a 30 "  ATA SP , good solid gun, totally reliable.
I like it  for its comfortable weight, chunky fore end, and it just seems to mount and point instinctively.

I looked at the adjustable comb one (which had stunning wood ) but I just thought , why ? The standard one fitted perfectly.

Id buy with confidence .

5 minutes ago, farmer7 said:

Did you try taking the removable trigger group out? Supposed to come out with a push button and trigger weight is adjustable. Did you manage to try the trigger pulls? Looks like a good buy!

No I didn't try and take it out, and if I go back tomorrow I'll ask for a set of snaps to try out the pull.  Wonder if anyone on here has any thoughts on the trigger?

1 minute ago, Wingman said:

No I didn't try and take it out, and if I go back tomorrow I'll ask for a set of snaps to try out the pull.  Wonder if anyone on here has any thoughts on the trigger?

The supersport looks pretty much the same as the SP, but with better wood, a bit more etching on the receiver, and the adj comb. , but the trigger may be different.

I would describe is it as a little on the heavy side, but I  dont have a problem with it, and I havnt even bothered checking to see if its adjustable .
I dont think a trigger should be too light on a shotgun.

The ATA SP is a Beretta clone. The action is 90% Beretta like and very different from the Italian standard "Rizzini" type. The Supersport looks to have the same action but slightly different cosmetics. Where does it say it has a drop trigger?

21 minutes ago, Westward said:

The ATA SP is a Beretta clone. The action is 90% Beretta like and very different from the Italian standard "Rizzini" type. The Supersport looks to have the same action but slightly different cosmetics. Where does it say it has a drop trigger?

Trigger is at 23.20 mins

Thanks to everyone who responded given me lots of great info. I didn’t get a chance to go and pick up the gun on Saturday but still tempted. Think though I’ll try and see if I can try one out somewhere. 

I do think these look like stonking value guns though!

Two things spring to mind for me.

At the price they are by the time the makers make a profit,the transport people make a profit the importers also the dealers. Just how much did the gun cost to make. Either poor materials and or cheap materials and labour. 

Good materials great guns and the other mainstream manufacturers are having our eyes out.

13 hours ago, figgy said:

Two things spring to mind for me.

At the price they are by the time the makers make a profit,the transport people make a profit the importers also the dealers. Just how much did the gun cost to make. Either poor materials and or cheap materials and labour. 

Good materials great guns and the other mainstream manufacturers are having our eyes out.

Labour costs in turkey are pennies And you also pay for branding look at things like designer clothes made in work houses in Asia  sold at premium price here 

31 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Labour costs in turkey are pennies And you also pay for branding look at things like designer clothes made in work houses in Asia  sold at premium price here 

Turkish wages are around 1/3 of the UKs .
The materials used are of no worse quality than used in European guns, anyone who has one of these ATA s is usually very impressed by the quality, which is backed up by its 3 year warranty.
Its all about the brand name TBH.
My friend bought an ATA SP when they first came to the UK nearly 10 years ago, he paid £1000 for it, its exactly the same as mine.
They obviously launched the gun, got little response at that price point , then relaunched at the cheaper end, and found the market.
Talking to various RFDs its selling extremely well, because its a cheap , good quality O/U solution.

Google ATA shotgun issues, beside the known (and fixed) trigger problem, there is very little to report.

That why I got one 

52 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Turkish wages are around 1/3 of the UKs .
The materials used are of no worse quality than used in European guns, anyone who has one of these ATA s is usually very impressed by the quality, which is backed up by its 3 year warranty.
Its all about the brand name TBH.
My friend bought an ATA SP when they first came to the UK nearly 10 years ago, he paid £1000 for it, its exactly the same as mine.
They obviously launched the gun, got little response at that price point , then relaunched at the cheaper end, and found the market.
Talking to various RFDs its selling extremely well, because its a cheap , good quality O/U solution.

Google ATA shotgun issues, beside the known (and fixed) trigger problem, there is very little to report.

The firm I work for is multinational and we have a plant in turkey and there cost compared to most of the European plants is minute.. as for guns they don’t have to import walnut either

10 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

That why I got one 

The firm I work for is multinational and we have a plant in turkey and there cost compared to most of the European plants is minute.. as for guns they don’t have to import walnut either

It depends what you mean by minute, I was having this very conversation with some people in Turkey last week on holiday,.
Their minimum wage is 17.5 tkl an hour, the GBP exchange rate is rather high at the moment , but its still about £2.50 .

Salaries for low skilled workers are between 2500 to 3000 TKL per month, about £350- 400 , so roughly a 1/3 of our wages.

Theres other factors obviously,  not least how 'hard' people work, which from what Ive seen, is much harder than people here.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

It depends what you mean by minute, I was having this very conversation with some people in Turkey last week on holiday,.
Their minimum wage is 17.5 tkl an hour, the GBP exchange rate is rather high at the moment , but its still about £2.50 .

Salaries for low skilled workers are between 2500 to 3000 TKL per month, about £350- 400 , so roughly a 1/3 of our wages.

Theres other factors obviously,  not least how 'hard' people work, which from what Ive seen, is much harder than people here.

Agree but a guy doing the same manual job at the same firm as me is getting 375 a month I take home more than that a week .. there is also running cost of the plant ,,, less red tape (health and safety) etc ... price of materials so the same ata sporter built in this country would be at leat double if not treble 

1 hour ago, figgy said:

So what your all saying is the big brands are ripping us all off,  these Turkish guns are of top quality materials and workmanship? 

Ripping off is a bit strong, I suppose if an ATA does the same job, fits and shoots as well, and gives the same amount of service time as a Silver pigeon costing 3 times as much, then all it comes down to is the name, and re sale value. 

We can assume quality and workmanship are 'as good' 

It's like driving to your destination in a  Dacia or a Range Rover, they both get you there, will likely last as long, but one costs many times less than the other, and is more reliable 🤣

30 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Remember not all businesses set RSP's based on cost of goods + a profit margin.

Many will set a selling price based on a gap in the market, or what folks are willing to pay for the brand etc.

Exactly.