Tangled tails!

ratchers

News story on the BBC about a member of the public finding four baby squirrels with their tails tangled together.

They were rescued by the RSPCA and sent to a local vets who untangled them.

Story goes on that they will be released back into the wild, I thought this was illegal.

Sorry cant do the link thing.

Try this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-48226976

You can apply to NE for a licence to release non-native species into the wild, but the information required would make it most unlikely you would get one for the release of grey squirrels.

you got me thinking about releasing non-native species into the wild, I wonder if that applies to some game birds?

Edited by old'un

1 hour ago, old'un said:

You can apply to NE for a licence to release non-native species into the wild, but the information required would make it most unlikely you would get one for the release of grey squirrels.

you got me thinking about releasing non-native species into the wild, I wonder if that applies to some game birds?

its been going on for years, rescue centres rear youngsters then release them, the law is supposed to be changing so they can no longer be released but "folk" are saying they will just do it anyway.

A few squirrels released back into the wild where they already occur is going to make no difference whatsoever. Let them get on with it, good luck to them.   

The horse has truly bolted regards grey squirrels in the UK.  If Reds are to be protected then the greys need to be culled on and near the Red squirrel range. Shooting a few in your back garden in Chorley or Chelmsford is not going to make on jot of difference to teh survival of Reds, and neither is the release of a handful of Greys, so long as it is away from current Red territory.

8 hours ago, scolopax said:

A few squirrels released back into the wild where they already occur is going to make no difference whatsoever. Let them get on with it, good luck to them.   

The horse has truly bolted regards grey squirrels in the UK.  If Reds are to be protected then the greys need to be culled on and near the Red squirrel range. Shooting a few in your back garden in Chorley or Chelmsford is not going to make on jot of difference to teh survival of Reds, and neither is the release of a handful of Greys, so long as it is away from current Red territory.

Take your point, but.....it's a good illustration of what happens when laws are tinkered with. Make one exception and all is lost?

8 hours ago, scolopax said:

Yep, but it might help a few song birds.

21 minutes ago, old'un said:

Yep, but it might help a few song birds.

Certainly does, there thriving around here now, the woods at the back of me used to be crawling with squirrels now your lucky if you see one!

9 hours ago, scolopax said:

There are reds within 12 miles of my house, that means the greys need hammering, it helps the local songbirds and means there are less greys breeding and spreading out, imagine how good it would be if one day i had reds in the local parks not greys!

That's not the point. 

People see them being released and think it's OK anywhere so they get released near the Reds, that's when it makes a difference, thay should be classified and treated the same as rabbits. 

How long before squirrel phox mutates to be transferable to humans? Then the stuff will hit the fan. 

a story in my local rag the Newcastle evening chronicle running a story on the r.s.p.c.a. saving four cute baby grey squirrels and are looking after them at a rescue centre until they are old enough to be released under licence.my question is this is it not illegal to release grey squirrels into the wild therefore are the r.s.p.c.a. breaking the law.

2 minutes ago, rheth said:

a story in my local rag the Newcastle evening chronicle running a story on the r.s.p.c.a. saving four cute baby grey squirrels and are looking after them at a rescue centre until they are old enough to be released under licence.my question is this is it not illegal to release grey squirrels into the wild therefore are the r.s.p.c.a. breaking the law.

Wouldn't have thought so, as their responsibility for the animals ended when they handed them over to the care of the vets.