.22 hollow point ammo

Hi folks had the law changed about only using hollow point .22 ammunition on rabbits etc  or years ago it changed saying only hollow point ammunition was to be used for vermin control and this a right pain in the neck as you had to get a letter saying you had authority to purchase it  i was reading a bit on another forum saying it's legal to use solid ammunition on vermin

41 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

Hi folks had the law changed about only using hollow point .22 ammunition on rabbits etc  or years ago it changed saying only hollow point ammunition was to be used for vermin control and this a right pain in the neck as you had to get a letter saying you had authority to purchase it  i was reading a bit on another forum saying it's legal to use solid ammunition on vermin

It is legal to use solid bullets.

11 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

Hi BB when did this change back

Its always been whatever you wanted to use, you might be getting mixed up with some guidance or recommendation from some where but in law as far as i know its never been any different.  

Sorry bb but the law was changed i worked in a gun shop when this happened you had to get a letter from the firearms department staying you had the authority to purchase hollow point and soft point ammunition for free and vermin control it caused a lot of bother

10 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

You've always been able to use solids on vermin afaik. 

This is correct it was a purchase issue possession.  not USE you can use what you want .  The Expanding Ammo thing came in just after Dunblane  96 AFAIK.

ok if thats true why did our firearms certificate at that time have this on them

The Firearms Act 1968 (as amended) prohibits the possession of expanding ammunition.

However, Section 5A(4) allows a condition to be added to a firearm certificate for possession of expanding ammunition for:

the lawful shooting of deer

the shooting of vermin or, in the case of carrying on activities in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife

the humane killing of animals

the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans

5 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

ok if thats true why did our firearms certificate at that time have this on them

The Firearms Act 1968 (as amended) prohibits the possession of expanding ammunition.

However, Section 5A(4) allows a condition to be added to a firearm certificate for possession of expanding ammunition for:

the lawful shooting of deer

the shooting of vermin or, in the case of carrying on activities in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife

the humane killing of animals

the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans

Because you couldn't use expanding ammo for target shooting . If your fac was only conditioned for target shooting you were prohibited from buying expanding ammo.

Edited by toontastic

2 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

i should have added that my certificate now only has the firearms and ammunition shall be used for the shooting of all lawful quarry and for zeroing and practice on ranges and land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot

Rules on expanding ammo changed last year, it's no longer covered by added conditions. 

3 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

sorry i did not say target shooting  this stopped   everyone from buying hollow point ammo for vermin control unless you got the letter from the firearms dept

You didn't actually get a letter it was just a condition on your fac. The rule only stopped target shooters getting expanding ammo, nothing to stop you using solids on vermin.

17 minutes ago, toontastic said:

You didn't actually get a letter it was just a condition on your fac. The rule only stopped target shooters getting expanding ammo, nothing to stop you using solids on vermin.

sorry but when it happened  we did have to go and get the letter   till you returned your certificate when full etc then the cond. was added   and we were told we were no longer able to use solid ammunition on vermin   this was from the firearms department in dundee i wish i still had the paper work from when this happened

Some time around 1996 1997 Expanding ammo became a requirement on your certificate if you wanted to buy use own any , at the time if you had an old cert you had to send it back get expanding put on> if you were a target shooter you would not be granted that condition. If you wanted to shoot vermin with solids it was up to you, i have shot many rabbits with T 22 winchester and  eley tenex.  If Dundee wrote you a letter or not is down to them and how they chose to advise it had no weight in law.