Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

16BoreFan

3 minutes ago, DevonSmallBore said:

Anyone own or used one? I love the tactical style of it and wondered whats its like as a plonker and a close range squirrel/rabbit gun? Any info or pics would be great! 

I shot one this week, a friend has one which he some how managed to have on his certificate for field and target use.

He put a red dot style sight on which is fun to shoot but not that accurate I found, although with adjustment probably could be.

Also encountered regular stoppages with different types of ammo. The gun was brand new so the stoppages may have been down to the fact the gun needed a good clean and oil.

Overall fun, cool and reasonably priced. If i shot targets regularly I would have one in the cabinets but for vermin control I’ll stick to my bolt action. 

I have one, they are OK for LSR shoots or practical iron plate shoots.

I wouldn't use it for serious target shoots where accuracy is key and definitely wouldn't use it for vermin.

Mine has an ACOG sight on it with 4x zoom. 

Should add I've never had any feeding issues but have only ran 3 different types of ammo through it. It's a fun reliable rifle and has its uses.

Edit - if buying second hand, make sure it has passed the recent GO/NO GO checks after the safety alert. There is an issue with some of the bolts.

Edited by Newbie to this

Depends which one you are looking at.??? The standard 16.5” barrels are OK but not seen a particular accurate one. The Performance Center model that I have played with is very good. Not quite as accurate as my SIG 522 (but I do believe that one is a freak!) but certainly very good for a semi auto. As long as you are not using sub sonics they tend to cycle pretty much everything. 

So to answer you question, if you can find one that is as accurate as you need for ‘short range bunny bashing’ then it makes no difference what the delivery system is IMO.  I have taken rabbits with my SIG but I have to say that is the exception to the generalisation of semi auto rf rifles. 

25 yards. It’s not a tac driver but it fun to blast cans out to 100 yards.  

2 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

25 yards. It’s not a tac driver but it fun to blast cans out to 100 yards.  

I really haven’t messed with it since I got my Cmmg.  But I am not sure they are available in the UK.  They are built on a Sandard AR15 lower.  

Edited by NoBodyImportant

1 hour ago, chilly1981 said:

as for the comment made about dunno how he got it for field use. Why not it’s just a semi auto .22lr and is actually a decent bunny gun 

It was classed as military/police style in one RFD, which are not usually granted for vermin control. The RFD he bought it from didn’t have an issue and just did he one on one off.

8 minutes ago, chilly1981 said:

Well never heard that one before sounds like people making own rules up again  because by that you couldn’t use a rem700 for vermin as many police and military around world use them. 

Ans thinkjng anout it nor the rugwr 10/22 as at one point the Israeli defense force used them as less lethal  weapons. 😂

I don’t know wither it’s true or not, only going from what I was told by the owner and another experienced shooter.

I am led to believe that it’s the the style of gun rather than it actually being used by police or military. 

I know the Ruger 10/22 can easily be modified with after market parts to look more “military” so I am not sure how the rule is enforced.

1 hour ago, Rossco89 said:

I don’t know wither it’s true or not, only going from what I was told by the owner and another experienced shooter.

I am led to believe that it’s the the style of gun rather than it actually being used by police or military. 

I know the Ruger 10/22 can easily be modified with after market parts to look more “military” so I am not sure how the rule is enforced.

There is no such ‘rule’. I think you have been misled. 

23 minutes ago, Scully said:

There is no such ‘rule’. I think you have been misled. 

It would seem so... I went back to the two chaps and neither could find any legislation or guidance to support it, I believe one is in the process of putting in a variation as we speak to add pest control to a few of his target rifles!

Everyday is a school day.

36 minutes ago, fse10 said:

Might be as it's Ireland. Not sure i would want to be walking about in camo with an AR15 , AK look a like over there.

I wouldn't have thought the ‘type’ of firearm would make it any more of an issue than it is on the mainland.