.22 WMR

impala59

A question gentlemen, with a .22 rifle slot on my licence, could I buy a .22 wmr? Obviously, I could buy a .22 short or .22 LR and the difference is just the case length. Also, can .22 LR ammunition be fired in a .22wmr? Asking the question here before going to my FEO to see what you guys have, or indeed if you have crossed this bridge before.

Edited by impala59

Good question - one that puzzled me a while ago when I was looking to buy a .22 WMR.

I ended up having to apply for a variation and my WMR is listed .22 WMR in the 'Calibre' column on my FAC, as opposed to being listed as .22RF as is the case for my other two .22 rimfires!

My gun shop wouldn’t sell me a WMR onto my .22RF slot. 

Reason he gave was he'd been in trouble with the constabulary about doing it before. 

That may be wrongly but a heads up before you rush off with notes clenched in hand  

All I had on my ticket was ‘.22 rf ’ and I bought a WMR. It was some time ago admittedly, but despite that, nothing in legislation has changed regarding this reoccurring matter. 

If your RFD won’t sell you one then find one who will. 

Despite what anyone tells you, .22 WMR is a cartridge designation and NOT a calibre; the calibre is .22 and WMR is a rimfire. 

I know there are FEO’s who will blow and bluster regarding this, and you won’t get any support from your shooting org’, as they will just suggest you don’t rock any boats, but that doesn’t make the above any less relevant.

If you can find a RFD who will sell you one, neither of you have broken any laws. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Despite what anyone tells you, .22 WMR is a cartridge designation and NOT a calibre; the calibre is .22 and WMR is a rimfire. 

This was my understanding too, so I shall give it a try. Of course then we come to purchasing ammunition, so the whole issue can restart. 🤨

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 10:47, farmer7 said:

If it's just listed as .22RF then yes you can buy a WMR. And no you can't use .22LR in a WMR as the cases will split. The WMR doesn't use a heeled bullet so the case/chamber is wider.

A .22WMR is a .22RF and there is nobody that can deny that! :good:

Not sure why you mentioned .22lr, but you are of course correct, you can't use it in a WMR, neither can you use a .22Short,or Long or caps or .17Mk2 or HMR etc., although the HMR will fit, but the bullet will rattle down the barrel.

:good:

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 10:51, 39TDS said:

My gun shop wouldn’t sell me a WMR onto my .22RF slot. 

Reason he gave was he'd been in trouble with the constabulary about doing it before. 

That may be wrongly but a heads up before you rush off with notes clenched in hand  

This subject has cropped up several times.

The region cannot in any way argue that a .22WMR ISN'T a .22RF.

A .22RF covers EVERY variation of the .22RF calibre, if the region have a problem with that it's their fault for an atrocious definition, if they meant ,22LR (or whatever) they should have specified .22LR, and not .22RF.

Having said all that, the RFD is not obliged to sell you anything regardless!