Defra consultation - gentle reminder of today's deadline

I have just sent in my request to Defra for the restoration of the licence to control corvids in the interests of other species of birds, with particular reference to magpies in Hampshire.

If you haven't emailed Defra (glevidence@defra.gov.uk), you have only until 5.00 p.m. to do so. We really must not waste this unique opportunity whatever your particular reason may be for writing in. Direct submissions to Defra will strengthen BASC's hand.

This is a post from Mark Avery blog, the guy obviously has some idea of pigeon shooting but not a lot, there are vigilantes waiting in the wings if we don’t get the results we need.

Michael Mole says:

So am I correct in thinking that when I see a chap all set-up in an empty crop field, during the winter, with his shotgun, his elaborate camo tent and screening, his plastic pigeons pegged-out in front, with more on a constantly rotating contraption and with his dog in waiting, he will no longer be acting legally? Because it is not the breeding season and there's nothing there to protect. Is that correct?
It has always looked to me like he is there for his pleasure and recreation. The number of his accessories add to the impression that this is a past-time, a hobby and the fact that the farmers crop field is empty. Every single shot he fires makes me feel sick and ruins my day.

32 minutes ago, Cumbrian said:

I have just sent in my request to Defra for the restoration of the licence to control corvids in the interests of other species of birds, with particular reference to magpies in Hampshire.

If you haven't emailed Defra (glevidence@defra.gov.uk), you have only until 5.00 p.m. to do so. We really must not waste this unique opportunity whatever your particular reason may be for writing in. Direct submissions to Defra will strengthen BASC's hand.

Link to call for evidence..https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/use-of-general-licences-for-the-management-of-certain-wild-birds-a-call-for-evidence/detail-of-call-for-evidence

Maybe we should stop doing it for free from now on,we should be issued lisences to deal with the problem birds. Then there should set charge/fee for our time.

Apart from gamekeepers who get paid to do it, doing it for free is always going to look like it's a hobby.

2 hours ago, old'un said:

This is a post from Mark Avery blog, the guy obviously has some idea of pigeon shooting but not a lot, there are vigilantes waiting in the wings if we don’t get the results we need.

Michael Mole says:

So am I correct in thinking that when I see a chap all set-up in an empty crop field, during the winter, with his shotgun, his elaborate camo tent and screening, his plastic pigeons pegged-out in front, with more on a constantly rotating contraption and with his dog in waiting, he will no longer be acting legally? Because it is not the breeding season and there's nothing there to protect. Is that correct?
It has always looked to me like he is there for his pleasure and recreation. The number of his accessories add to the impression that this is a past-time, a hobby and the fact that the farmers crop field is empty. Every single shot he fires makes me feel sick and ruins my day.

I sometimes wonder who is actually writing some of the stuff on his blogs? A lot of the threads Q&A's Seem to follow similar format. Subtle debate but always make him/them look right!  NB