Help needed for floor laminate screw kit supplier

Hamster

Excuse my ignorance please but they look to me like a pile of yankee horse twaddle waiting for a gullible buyer.

Have you considered using torx screws if you need the screw in tighter than a usual crosshead or pozi driver will get before it skids out - or am I being a bit obtuse and not seeing something you are?

Edited by Dave-G

55 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Excuse my ignorance please but they look to me like a pile of yankee horse twaddle waiting for a gullible buyer.

Have you considered using torx screws if you need the screw in tighter than a usual crosshead or pozi driver will get before it skids out - or am I being a bit obtuse and not seeing something you are?

They're designed to screw through the laminate floor into the base board and (hopefully) finally into the joists, the heads can then be snapped off leaving a tiny hole which is then filled with the appropriate colour filler. 

I tend to do tons of research on these sorts of things and they get good reviews. A while back I ended up buying a product called DriTac for the engineered wood downstairs, the area around the fridge creaked and the wife couldn't stand it, it worked unbelievably well. 

6 minutes ago, Hamster said:

They're designed to screw through the laminate floor into the base board and (hopefully) finally into the joists, the heads can then be snapped off leaving a tiny hole which is then filled with the appropriate colour filler. 

I tend to do tons of research on these sorts of things and they get good reviews. A while back I ended up buying a product called DriTac for the engineered wood downstairs, the area around the fridge creaked and the wife couldn't stand it, it worked unbelievably well. 

Ah, ok, that aspect doesnt seem obvious and nothing about it in the item sales description. Thanks for the information, hope you find some in the UK.

If you snap the head off .

Not easy to do. Unless its weakened ? 

Then you wont have any hold down element as the screws have a smooth shank. If the screws were threaded the full length  then they may stand a chance of holding down a board .

The biggest reason for squeeky foors is boards moving up and down on a smooth shanked nail .

Adding more of these is gonna make it 100 x worse. In my opinion  .

I think they are designed for carpets where the snapped head is lost in the carpet pile (to stub you toe on later ?) 

Also screwing totally blind into a joist sub floor is a recipe for hitting cables and water pipes. 

Obviously one would use a joist finder to make sure there are no electric cables or pipes present, the screws are designed with a weak point which snap using the tool supplied, plenty of clips on Youtube showing how it's done. 

I realise the problem could be dealt with correctly if the entire laminate floor is removed and the base boards secured tightly first but that option is simply far too time consuming as well as costly. The hallway is devoid of any real squeaks, the main problem areas are the main walkways in two of the bedrooms which comprise of relatively small areas to be tackled. 

24 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Personally I think it is a very brave man that just blindly drives a screw through a floorboard without knowing what is under it.  And now there are a lot of plastic pipes about they won't be picked up by a metal detector

just advising

I am with you.:big_boss:

No way would you ever want to blindly fix a floor,makes me shudder just to think it

Hamster try ringing round a few laminate floor suppliers to see if the stock the screws 

I think you will have to order them from the states.

You could use lost head screws fully threaded and drill a hole just big enough for the head to pass through then fill it. 

Or cut a groove into any screw at top of thread, make your own spacer to screw to correct depth and snap it off with grips pliers or hammer.

Edited by figgy

Laminate flooring isn't meant to be screwed down. It's a floating unit to allow for expansion and contraction of the wood, so the board's shouldn't be held static or be touching the sides............maybe I've misunderstood the question ?

I did our lounge floor a couple of weeks ago. First time I've ever done it - and it will be the last time  I ever do it ! Pain in the derriere !

Blackbriar you can't have looked at the product video.

It's to screw the original floorboards to the joists to stop them sqeaking under the laminate floor. The laminate will still be free floating but with a small hole needing filling.

6 hours ago, figgy said:

It's to screw the original floorboards to the joists to stop them sqeaking under the laminate floor. The laminate will still be free floating but with a small hole needing filling.

Correct.

I've ordered a few Lost Tite screws (which feature small heads) for now to see if they help, they'll leave bigger holes than the US originals but as mentioned I shouldn't need more than about score and intend filling them in any case. 

Doorways are where all the pipes and cables run though into the room .

Probably the reason the sub floor squeeks in that area most is beacause its been chopped about (i fixed an area of flooring in a door on saturday that had 7 pipes and 4 wires running through the door way ) and has few joists and lots of notches in them .

I really wouldnt  screw in there blind mate .

39 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Doorways are where all the pipes and cables run though into the room .

Probably the reason the sub floor squeeks in that area most is beacause its been chopped about (i fixed an area of flooring in a door on saturday that had 7 pipes and 4 wires running through the door way ) and has few joists and lots of notches in them .

I really wouldnt  screw in there blind mate .

Thanks, 👍  I intend to use a joist finder (and be away from the door way) or are you saying these won't be adequate ? 

Ditto, I’ve tried 3 different main branded joist / pipe / wire finders and they’re all in the bin now.

I know it’s not what anyone is going to want to hear on this thread, but having laminated my first house (and then a couple of years later ‘de-laminate’ it 😆), and having ‘tried ‘em all’ I now know with 100% certainty that whatever you want out of a floor the answer is either amtico or karndean 👍

On 14/05/2019 at 00:24, figgy said:

So, I DID misunderstand the question. Apologies.