Gun stock

Jacko3275

I've used Trade Secrets range and also CCL Traditions kit, both do a good job.  Be prepared to thoroughly prep the wood and take your time with the finish.

Of the two I'm currently using the CCL because it has  a pot of red oil of arkanet which seems to make an figuring stand out better. Also use CCLs stock conditioning oil for  regular upkeep.

Check your prices,  I've seen the CCL kit range from £20s to £50s on DeBuy

On 13/05/2019 at 18:34, aga man said:

Have a look at slippery ***** gun oils. Think there is some vids on YouTube too.

I would highly recommended these oils.

Cheers for this recommendation  just in the middle of doing my stock and its starting to looking well

3AE1791D-D5BE-4576-8657-2D924BDD954B.jpeg

F0E1025A-2969-4FF4-ADCD-2690C0F39500.jpeg

Edited by Jacko3275

Some really nice stock work on the posts above.

Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil seems fine to me when you open a bottle for the first time -  I have done a few stocks with it over the years, with excellent results.. However, once opened it becomes a very messy affair. It never seems to set and I stopped using it..

All commercially made stock oils work . Some of those I have tried work better than others . ALL take time and a little effort .Some will suit you better than others .

Having served my time in the Birmingham trade and learnt to do things in the traditional way , oiling the wood for several weeks and buffing with rotten stone .

I have since tried and tried to find quicker oils and methods . My conclusion is that yes some oil blends dry quicker , some give a higher finish than others , but it comes down to preparation, 60% of the job and the rest is time .When asked how long my stock answer [if you excuse the pun ] is 2 hours plus to prepare and 5 minutes a day until its right . 

How many days is never specified as you have will find that one stock may look good with 3 or 4 applications others may take 10 or 15 dependent on the wood .

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve used the Trade Secrets set and the Slippery ***** set.

I had marginally better results with the Trade Secrets as I found the oil easier to work with. 

Thorough preparation is the key to a  good finish. Take your time with it, and don’t rush. Applying the oil is the easy part. 

45274B8E-C47D-4A2C-92F3-5AA4473CA2FB.jpeg