Pick 4

Lloyd90

Going to try a selection of clays carts from just cartridges to see which ones I get on with. 

Is it worth just grabbing the 4 different ones they have in their bin ends section in 28g 7.5 fibre? (Does plastic make much difference?) 

they have in bin ends 

- hull comp x - 28 7.5 fibre - £199/1000 

-  express English sporter - 28 7.5 fibre - £196/1000 

- Eley select - 28 7.5 fibre - £196/1000 

- just cartridges CSP club 28 7.5 fibre - £194/1000 

I asked them if I took a mix of all 4 would they do the per 1000 rate and they said they would. 

Does that sound worth a go? 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have heard very good feedback regarding Hull Comp X, but has never tried them. Have tried the Eley Select and had no complaints, but how on earth do you compare them? 

You can't shoot 100 sporting with each type and choose the ones you achieved the highest score with, surely? Not very scientific nor indeed quantifiable. If you're just testing patterns on a plate then you could just buy 25 of each. How do you compare? 

51 minutes ago, Scully said:

Have heard very good feedback regarding Hull Comp X, but has never tried them. Have tried the Eley Select and had no complaints, but how on earth do you compare them? 

You can't shoot 100 sporting with each type and choose the ones you achieved the highest score with, surely? Not very scientific nor indeed quantifiable. If you're just testing patterns on a plate then you could just buy 25 of each. How do you compare? 

Different people seem to experience carts differently. 

Have heard reports of some people saying how the comp X kick like hell, whilst others say how smooth they are. Read similar contradicting reports about various carts. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Some one on shoot clay forums says that these in 21g shoot very well and pattern well, but complained that they thought the 28g weren’t as good. Funny that. 

My missus uses 21g comp x and for the price I really don't think you can go wrong, she quite often uses my 686 which is at half and half and smokes a fair few. 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Different people seem to experience carts differently. 

Have heard reports of some people saying how the comp X kick like hell, whilst others say how smooth they are. Read similar contradicting reports about various carts. 

Yes they do. It's just the way it is I'm afraid. No one can tell you which cartridge is best for whatever you shoot; you just find out along the way. 

As you're only in Bristol why not just rock up to Ian Coley's near Cheltenham and buy a thousand of their own brand Gold Cup shells. A high standard, full size, full weight package, made by Eley and not a by any stretch a budget product. They work well, look good and cost £195 in plastic and at that price I can't see the point in buying budget stuff from JC. Not sure about the price for fibres as I hardly ever shoot anywhere with wad restrictions.

Plastic is smoother to shoot, usually cheaper, causes less leading in the bores and is the preferred choice of almost everyone shooting registered events.

38 minutes ago, Westward said:

As you're only in Bristol why not just rock up to Ian Coley's near Cheltenham and buy a thousand of their own brand Gold Cup shells. A high standard, full size, full weight package, made by Eley and not a by any stretch a budget product. They work well, look good and cost £195 in plastic and at that price I can't see the point in buying budget stuff from JC. Not sure about the price for fibres as I hardly ever shoot anywhere with wad restrictions.

Plastic is smoother to shoot, usually cheaper, causes less leading in the bores and is the preferred choice of almost everyone shooting registered events.

Most of the Sunday clay shoots round here at fibre only, and Mendip the big clay shoot around is their carts only 😣 

I heard Coleys ground is good but expensive? 

Funny enough I happened to drive past it the other day but am sure on the way back Police and ambulance were at the gate lights flashing. Not sure if it was an incident there or just nearby and they used it as a pull-in. 

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Most of the Sunday clay shoots round here at fibre only, and Mendip the big clay shoot around is their carts only 😣 

I heard Coleys ground is good but expensive

Funny enough I happened to drive past it the other day but am sure on the way back Police and ambulance were at the gate lights flashing. Not sure if it was an incident there or just nearby and they used it as a pull-in. 

Coleys is an expensive ground to shoot at, as in price per clay, compared to others. Their cartridge prices are very competitive however and I regularly buy mine from there. Not tried their Gold Cup cartridge yet..

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Some one on shoot clay forums says that these in 21g shoot very well and pattern well, but complained that they thought the 28g weren’t as good. Funny that. 

It's all relative, dunno about the new/current Comp X loads but they (at least) used to feel underpowered/slow compared to a standard 28g, there is nothing wrong with having 28g loads which are super soft but they then can't live with a normal 28g load in experienced hands in competition. Their 21g loads by contrast feel OK because they're prolly going just as fast if not faster than the 28g load and those who shoot them know what to expect, or not if you know what I mean. 

None of the ones you have mentioned would disappoint you so long as they suit your gun,  guns with longer chambers and over bored barrels can be very fussy with fibre shells. 

43 minutes ago, Hamster said:

It's all relative, dunno about the new/current Comp X loads but they (at least) used to feel underpowered/slow compared to a standard 28g, there is nothing wrong with having 28g loads which are super soft but they then can't live with a normal 28g load in experienced hands in competition. Their 21g loads by contrast feel OK because they're prolly going just as fast if not faster than the 28g load and those who shoot them know what to expect, or not if you know what I mean. 

None of the ones you have mentioned would disappoint you so long as they suit your gun,  guns with longer chambers and over bored barrels can be very fussy with fibre shells. 

I’ve got a 2001 silver pigeon - how do I know of it’s back (over) Bored?

thanks 

Lloyd 

7 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

thanks 

Lloyd 

I think the Silver Pigeon were field grade guns so it shouldn't be overbored, the chambers should also be just the normal 2-3/4 but the only way to be sure is to have someone measure them for you. The only way you're going to know for sure how they behave is to shoot half a dozen of each at a pattern plate to make sure there are no weird patterns. Alternatively just buy some and shoot, if I HAD to blind pick one of those it'd be the English Sporters. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

If it takes Mobil chokes it's not overbored. Optima choke guns are overbored but not by a lot and the Beretta I had with them worked okay with fibres.

Coley Gold Cup are available in fibre but I don't know the pricing. Mark Hazell in Wotton-u-edge sometimes has deals on Hull. Could be worth a look. As for the ground, it's an acquired taste as many of the permanent stands are in the woods or close to the banks and feel quite claustrophobic compared with most clay grounds. I used to shoot there every Thursday evening but with all the heavy investment that went in the prices went up a lot so I hardly ever shoot there now.

3 hours ago, Hamster said:

I think the Silver Pigeon were field grade guns so it shouldn't be overbored, the chambers should also be just the normal 2-3/4 but the only way to be sure is to have someone measure them for you. The only way you're going to know for sure how they behave is to shoot half a dozen of each at a pattern plate to make sure there are no weird patterns. Alternatively just buy some and shoot, if I HAD to blind pick one of those it'd be the English Sporters. 

Yes it’s a sporter but game scene - takes Mobil chokes as the poster below noted so should be fine :) although does say 2 3/4 & 3” cartridges fit. 

1 hour ago, Westward said:

If it takes Mobil chokes it's not overbored. Optima choke guns are overbored but not by a lot and the Beretta I had with them worked okay with fibres.

Coley Gold Cup are available in fibre but I don't know the pricing. Mark Hazell in Wotton-u-edge sometimes has deals on Hull. Could be worth a look. As for the ground, it's an acquired taste as many of the permanent stands are in the woods or close to the banks and feel quite claustrophobic compared with most clay grounds. I used to shoot there every Thursday evening but with all the heavy investment that went in the prices went up a lot so I hardly ever shoot there now.

Yep Mobil choke 👍🏻 But has a 3” chamber. 

Whos Mark Hazel please? I’ll try and have a look 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Westward said:

Yep Mobil choke 👍🏻 But has a 3” chamber. 

Whos Mark Hazel please? I’ll try and have a look 👍🏻

EDIT: Just had a look - 30 mins from me 👍🏻 Will take a look thanks 

My vote would be for Hull Comp X 28; picked them up for less than £200 a 1000 at Wadswick Country store.  Depending on what side of Bristol you're on (I'm in Kingswood), it's a 20-30mins away for me, rather than Ian Coley's which is knocking on an hour in the car.  Whilst you're there, ask nicely to have a look at their simulator, it's awesome bit of kit & worth a practice if you can put small group together.

Braces will usually match the prices for Just Cartridges too, I believe, if you're more towards the City Centre.

We are two couples who shoot two males and two females . We  shoot  the hull comp x in 28 gram . Mainly for the ladies , as there is very little recoil on light guns the ladies were using. I got my bennelli 828 last year , as its a light gun . I find the comp x , ideal . The only thing i would say is they are maybe a little slower . But cant realy tell . If you could get them local you could save on the £15 post  from Justcartridges .

Edited by johnphilip

11 hours ago, figgy said:

The csp are Gamebore and decent enough. They would be my choice out of the four.

Do you know which GB they’re a copy of? 

I read that the CSP Comp are a copy of white gold apparently but not sure about the CSP Club. 

I bought 500 Lyalvale English Sporter 7.5 28g fibre from Just Cartridges the other day. They seem punchier on the shoulder than Comp X though.

I am trying to stick to 70mm shells (which CompX aren't) as they function well in the SX3 semi auto, but I might try to stick with Comp X and use my 525 or SBS in future.

And yes JC do the 1,000 rate on a mixed order - I bought some of their own pigeon classic shells loaded by Gamebore at the same time. 

18 hours ago, johnphilip said:

We are two couples who shoot two males and two females . We  shoot  the hull comp x in 28 gram . Mainly for the ladies , as there is very little recoil on light guns the ladies were using. I got my bennelli 828 last year , as its a light gun . I find the comp x , ideal . The only thing i would say is they are maybe a little slower . But cant realy tell . If you could get them local you could save on the £15 post  from Justcartridges .

Thanks John, 

I have ordered the mix of the 4 different slabs from JC to give them all a go, will just see which ones I prefer. 

They are coming tomorrow. 

£15 for delivery, which when I consider that I would need to travel to another shop, who most likely wouldn’t have much choice, and also the time I’d miss from work or other stuff (opportunity cost) I think it was worth it to just order from them. 

Should be delivered by tomorrow 👍🏻