Pick 4

Lloyd90

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26/06/2019 at 22:37, Datum said:

Keep seeing Comp X 24g being mentioned, they don’t make a a 24g version of Comp X it’s only available in 21 or 28g 

I’m sure I read on the shootclays forum that many rates the 21g over the 28g said the 21s gave a great pattern etc :)

Off shooting again tomorrow will try a few more out!

I must be missing something,  I grab a buggy for of the cheapo federal when the grocery store marks it down to $15 a case.   I shoot clays, birds, raccoons,  ducks, squirrels,  bottles, televisions all with the same 7 and 8 shot.  Does the wads/ cases/ prices really make all that of a difference? I know many of you seem serious about this shell for this bird and this for squirrels.  But does it really make a difference?   Heck I still have a couple cases. I can hold out until turkey season is over and get more clearance cases.  

5344943E-6275-4901-9091-51C1230C1949.jpeg

2 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I must be missing something,  I grab a buggy for of the cheapo federal when the grocery store marks it down to $15 a case.   I shoot clays, birds, raccoons,  ducks, squirrels,  bottles, televisions all with the same 7 and 8 shot.  Does the wads/ cases/ prices really make all that of a difference? I know many of you seem serious about this shell for this bird and this for squirrels.  But does it really make a difference?   Heck I still have a couple cases. I can hold out until turkey season is over and get more clearance cases.  

Some take it more seriously than others. I seem to get the same results with 6’s as I do with 8’s on clays, and shoot either 6’s or 5’s for game. 

Price will play its part in many choices also. 

9 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

7.5's on the local clay ground simply cause they are the rules, 28g eley vip's in the sxs because they are nice and smooth everything else is whatever the chepaest 32g 5/6 is about. 

E.g right now I'm out having a quiet moment on the rabbits currently have 32g 6 Royal drive fibres in, mainly because they were nearest box I could find 😂 

Edited by Farmboy91

On 30/06/2019 at 10:09, NoBodyImportant said:

You shoot ducks with 7 or 8 shot? assuming they're close and not testing birds? 

Although we can say some are more fussy, it's well documented that bigger shot sizes will retain more energy at distance. I'm sure a lot of American turkey hunters would use big shot sizes on those birds? 

On 30/06/2019 at 10:56, London Best said:

What Scully said.

The people who are serious/concerned/paranoid about shot size/choke are often the ones who have not yet realised that it is their shooting that is the problem!

Surely that has a limit? Would you use cylinder choke and 28g 9's on a goose shoot? 

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

100 shells at $15.....oh to live in the land of the free.  We'd be lucky to pick up 50 for $15 on this side of the pond.  And the local Lidl* doesn't sell them, either.

*German supermarket, like Aldi/Trader Joe's.

They are $19.99 normal price.  But after dove season the mark them down.  But that’s only for 8,7.5, and 7.  The cost jumps way up for 6shot.  Supply and demand I guess.  

Just now, NoBodyImportant said:

They are $19.99 normal price.  But after dove season the mark them down.  But that’s only for 8,7.5, and 7.  The cost jumps way up for 6shot.  Supply and demand I guess.  

I actually saw a lidi they just built.  I have never been into them.  We have Walmart’s spaced about every two miles.  😂.   Get groceries, tires, and kayak in one trip. 

On 29/06/2019 at 23:38, Lloyd90 said:

I’m sure I read on the shootclays forum that many rates the 21g over the 28g said the 21s gave a great pattern etc

Off shooting again tomorrow will try a few more out!

Think the general consensus is their 21g are an excellent 21g while the 28g are merely average 28g

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/07/2019 at 22:41, Datum said:

Think the general consensus is their 21g are an excellent 21g while the 28g are merely average 28g

I shot today at the ground in Bridgend, Dragon Clay Sports. 

Used Hull comp x 28g 7.5 and we shot 2 rounds. 

First round 38/50. Very happy with that :) 

Second round I used a pick and mix of some other carts, had 35/50. 

I was happy with both as I normally shoot rubbish on this ground last few times barely got over 20. 

Today however I am staying at my sister down the road and used his Silver Pigeon, an older 1980’s model. 

I bought his and mine and I picked the other one as it had a 3” chamber and steel proof. Kicking myself now thinking I let him have the wrong one 😂