Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lloyd90

Pick 4

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Sorry Lloyd not a clue but would guess Velocity as that's the current club cartridge.

 

Yes that’s the budget one so would have thought that rather than Evos, either way I’ve heard they’re a tidy cart. 

Will just have a play with all 4 and pick one to stick with :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lloyd they could be the evo, I don't know.

A call to just carts should clear it up for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, figgy said:

Lloyd they could be the evo, I don't know.

A call to just carts should clear it up for you.

 

As you suspected and confirmed with JC - they would indeed be a similar build to the velocity carts 👍🏻

Just incase anyone was wondering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've shot velocity carts as have mates of mine and they couldn't find fault with them. Very good kills and patterns out of a k80 a blaser f3 and a Optima bored Beretta.

Comp X were very soft and seemed slow,not to my liking, a friend is very good with them.

Lyalvale English sporters, between myself and a couple of friends we purchased over 30k of them as there was a deal on the price. Good carts for the cheap price we paid. None of us have bought anymore at current prices as we all prefer other makes.

Eley Select were only ok, little bit more thumpy and the fiber wad version left a hell of a tarry mess in the barrels to get rid of. Powder residue and muck I'm not bothered about but the cack of these was a pain to get out. The 21g were nicer to shoot than the 28g.

That's my friends and myselfs take on all the carts.

Be interesting to see what you deduce after trying them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just Cartridges own brand are a good cartridge nice on the shoulder and very good breaking performance in fibre wad no8 anyway. 

Also give the rio target load a try it's what I have been using for around 3 years now and not had any problems again I only shoot fibre wads no8 order 500/1000 at a time. Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shot at a new (to me, just found it) clay clay today, 10 mins from home :) 

As a bonus one of the blokes buys blue diamonds in bulk and everyone can buy a slab at the reduced price - £55 a slab 👍🏻

So once these 1000 go will likely have a punt of those are they’re supposed to be a good cart and that’s cheaper than JC and my local dealers can do :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blue Diamonds are one of the nicest carts I've shot. Used them a fair bit years ago before they got silly with prices. 

Soft on shoulder and good breaks, couldn't ask for more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blue Diamonds were my go to cartridge around twenty years ago, and recently bought a slab from Malmo. I’ll probably use them up this weekend and will then go back to SmartStrike or something similarly priced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My local has got blue diamonds at £54 a slab at the moment, he did give me a box to try a few months back but to be honest I couldn't really tell the difference between them and the Fblu's I've been using, except maybe slightly more punch. 

 

Edited by Farmboy91

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what your saying about the recent Blue Diamonds they must have changed the recipe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, figgy said:

From what your saying about the recent Blue Diamonds they must have changed the recipe.

They always were my chosen fibre load when I had to use them for certain shoots like the Game Fair Competitions.

I only used my last boxes earlier this year.

Now use Gamebore Velocity as they are regularly available and cheap. 

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
SYNTAX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't usually use a 28g clay load as I haven't found one soft enough to do a 100 with. 

I did pop in yesterday to pick up a couple odd boxes and he gave me the last couple blue diamond to try again, he was highly recommending them saying that's what he used, I also got a box of the comp x in 28, missus using them in a 21 he said they were pretty soft too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still in love with Fblu 28g, they pattern in both my sporter and trap guns, continental 7.5 so english 7. Yesterday I was using the 24g version as I'm out of the 28g. I was smashing the targets on the fur n' feather side shoot, both targets taken sub 10y, skeet and quarter, made the shoot off but blew it, and convincingly broke the mother of all distant 2nd barrel efforts on the ATB stand. 

Even so, it'll be another 1000 fblu 28g I'll be collecting next week. But there's nothing amiss with the 24g, the remainder of which I'll be saving for OT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Uilleachan said:

I'm still in love with Fblu 28g, they pattern in both my sporter and trap guns, continental 7.5 so english 7. Yesterday I was using the 24g version as I'm out of the 28g. I was smashing the targets on the fur n' feather side shoot, both targets taken sub 10y, skeet and quarter, made the shoot off but blew it, and convincingly broke the mother of all distant 2nd barrel efforts on the ATB stand. 

Even so, it'll be another 1000 fblu 28g I'll be collecting next week. But there's nothing amiss with the 24g, the remainder of which I'll be saving for OT. 

Howd you find them? 

I shot at another club today however used up some white golds not any of the new carts yet. 

Only managed 26/50 😣 however totally blanked one hard stand with 2 speedy crossers, wasn’t as terrible on some others. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh Lloyd it is NOT the cartridge, there are no truly awful catridges out there, spend some hard earned on some coaching!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh Lloyd it is NOT the cartridge, there are no truly awful catridges out there, spend some hard earned on some coaching!

I’m aware of that 😂 that 41 I scored was using some rubbish carts but the ground I knew. 

Trying to get round a bigger variety of grounds now with more testing layouts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Keep at it, fit two chokes grab one type of shell and get out and shoot. Then as your experience grows you can change small elements to tune your approach.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
SPELLAGE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Howd you find them? 

I shot at another club today however used up some white golds not any of the new carts yet. 

Only managed 26/50 😣 however totally blanked one hard stand with 2 speedy crossers, wasn’t as terrible on some others. 

 

I buy my carts from Auchterhouse Country Sports, a fiocchi stockist. 

Here's a link to Just Cartridges fiocchi page, buying locally one can improve on the quoted prices a bit:

https://www.justcartridges.com/fiocchi/

TT1 & Fblu are both worth a look but for my guns I favour the latter. 

Finding a cartridge that patterns well out of your gun and sticking to it will remove the mechanical variables, equipment, from the mental equation. That's helped me a lot, it's freed me up to focus on the actual shooting. Try and remember how you felt whilst shooting the 41 score and try to replicate it when you're shooting in future, I'm willing to bet that it was your mood that day that made the difference.

When I shoot with that "feeling" my scores leap up. I know my equipment is good, I have a plan and I tell myself what I'm going to do, I get on the line and zone out. My give a toss o' meter is on tick over I'm not thinking of anything other than seeing the bird, I'm looking for the bird, I see it I shoot it, or if I miss it I move on with the rest of the plan, keeping that give a toss o' meter just on tick over. For me, if I'm in the right place mentally, there's a slightly aggressive determined feeling, that comes into play, a slight spike in give a toss o' meter revs, on seeing the bird and putting my patten where I think it should be to kill it. But it's a feeling rather than a conscious mental process. I'm finding the head game the hardest bit to master but when I get it right I shoot better and it is just a feeling or mood. It's hard to achieve at a practice, but at a comp we're not practicing so getting in that mood (speculation here as I'm no sports phycologist) allows my conscious mind to do the target acquisition leaving my sub conscious to handle all the rest, catching the ball where you can't see your hands. Weird as that may sound. 

I know from playing music in semi improvised sessions, to play well you have to get yourself into the right mood, the conscious mind is listening, the mechanics of playing, the seemingly seamless on the fly on the nail key changes etc. are happening on auto pilot, my subconscious is bringing the sum of my experience and ability to the fore, if I have to think about it too much I can't do it or I don't do it as well, I'm finding shooting to be the same or similar. 

That being the case, the biggest obstacle to improvement is ourselves. Tell yourself what you want to do, clear the mind and let the subconscious do the business.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Uilleachan said:

I buy my carts from Auchterhouse Country Sports, a fiocchi stockist. 

Here's a link to Just Cartridges fiocchi page, buying locally one can improve on the quoted prices a bit:

https://www.justcartridges.com/fiocchi/

TT1 & Fblu are both worth a look but for my guns I favour the latter. 

Finding a cartridge that patterns well out of your gun and sticking to it will remove the mechanical variables, equipment, from the mental equation. That's helped me a lot, it's freed me up to focus on the actual shooting. Try and remember how you felt whilst shooting the 41 score and try to replicate it when you're shooting in future, I'm willing to bet that it was your mood that day that made the difference.

When I shoot with that "feeling" my scores leap up. I know my equipment is good, I have a plan and I tell myself what I'm going to do, I get on the line and zone out. My give a toss o' meter is on tick over I'm not thinking of anything other than seeing the bird, I'm looking for the bird, I see it I shoot it, or if I miss it I move on with the rest of the plan, keeping that give a toss o' meter just on tick over. For me, if I'm in the right place mentally, there's a slightly aggressive determined feeling, that comes into play, a slight spike in give a toss o' meter revs, on seeing the bird and putting my patten where I think it should be to kill it. But it's a feeling rather than a conscious mental process. I'm finding the head game the hardest bit to master but when I get it right I shoot better and it is just a feeling or mood. It's hard to achieve at a practice, but at a comp we're not practicing so getting in that mood (speculation here as I'm no sports phycologist) allows my conscious mind to do the target acquisition leaving my sub conscious to handle all the rest, catching the ball where you can't see your hands. Weird as that may sound. 

I know from playing music in semi improvised sessions, to play well you have to get yourself into the right mood, the conscious mind is listening, the mechanics of playing, the seemingly seamless on the fly on the nail key changes etc. are happening on auto pilot, my subconscious is bringing the sum of my experience and ability to the fore, if I have to think about it too much I can't do it or I don't do it as well, I'm finding shooting to be the same or similar. 

That being the case, the biggest obstacle to improvement is ourselves. Tell yourself what you want to do, clear the mind and let the subconscious do the business.  

 

Deffo helps to be relaxed and confident. 

That 41 I shot though I’ve done that course a few times, it’s not that testing and I often shoot well on fast low birds and high loopers. 

I hit most of those type on this new course  but struggles on some fast left and right crossing birds. 

 

Someone previously told me go try skeet and it’ll improve your shooting on those types of birds. 

Might give that a try :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

 

Deffo helps to be relaxed and confident. 

That 41 I shot though I’ve done that course a few times, it’s not that testing and I often shoot well on fast low birds and high loopers. 

I hit most of those type on this new course  but struggles on some fast left and right crossing birds. 

 

Someone previously told me go try skeet and it’ll improve your shooting on those types of birds. 

Might give that a try :) 

There'll be some trick/technique and I'm sure few rounds of skeet won't hinder. I'm shooting a lot of DTL at the moment, as thats by far the majority game in my part of the world and thats helping with consistency and my mount. I mount to my hold point look at my distant marker call pull and that someone else living in my brain does the rest, I'm getting quite consistent mounts through this routine and when I come across angled edge on rapid goers on a sporting layout I'm hitting them more reliably. Thing DTL is teaching me, is that easy birds are easy missed if I don't focus.... 

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shot today and tried a variety of the carts. 

 

JC CSP Club - I found these quite punchy, gave me a sore cheek. 

Eley Select - just a normal cartridge. 

Hull comp X - what a lovely cartridge to shoot!! I fired a few 21g carts through my mates SxS and when I used the hull comp X 28g afterwards I couldn’t tell much difference. I shot w very fast crosser with them so they break the clays just fine if you put it in the right place 👍🏻

 

 

Overall today I shot terrible, I haven’t shot the last 3 weeks maybe as had a lot on. 

I managed 17/50 which is dire but the entire group of us out all shot terribly so wasn’t that bad overall. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Pick one and get out and PRACTICE - PRACTICE - PRACTICE!:rolleyes:

BTW - We have just bought a load of Hull 28g 7 1/2s for £186 a thousand, they kill nicely!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Additional information!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Pick one and get out and PRACTICE - PRACTICE - PRACTICE!

BTW - We have just bought a load of Hull 28g 7 1/2s for £186 a thousand, they kill nicely!

 

I will mate, deffo makes a difference when you haven't been out for a few weeks 😞 

 

I liked those comp x they're nice and soft but still able to break them. Funny thing I read that the 24g pattern better than the 28s but who knows! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Victory challenger 2 in 24g were loads better than the 28g of the same. So some recipes suit 24g better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...