Question about engine additives

Mungler

Ok so I’ve got another old banger on the books. The car is mechanically strong and relatively straight - it’s unmolested but tatty round the edges. Indeed, at 20 feet the car looks the nuts, but doesn’t stand a close up look.

The engine appears fine and dandy but it’s a bit rattly - the engines are known for it.

So, there’s now an array of well known and branded engine additives (some appear to wholesale support and sponsor nascar) but does anyone know or have any experience of whether these additives work?

I’m looking for an additive solely to quieten down the engine.

I’ve previously spoken separately to 2 experienced mechanics and one swears but the stuff and the other thinks they are the work of the devil.

Any one with any views / knowledge on the subject?

Cheers all

Need to know what it is, the rattly might only be tappets needing adjustment??  

Having had 'old' cars I have always favoured Millers but need more info before before a proper suggestion

Ford Capri?

Triumph 

Land Rover

Jensen Interceptor

There are additives which condition the seals for hydraulic tappets. I can't recall the brand name but google will know and they do work. Old and tired seals don't hold the pressure well enough and you get the familiar sowing machine sound from the tappets. For general cleansing of the engine and restoring performance I've used BG44K many times and it's the best £20 tune up around.

32 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Slick 50 used to do the trick!

27 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

OK in high usage vehicles like taxis than run every day and keep it circulating. Not so good for cars that could be used on high days and holiday because it could sludge out like moly slip did.

I thought the Slick 50 was meant to coat all the moving parts with PTFE and make things run more smoothly.

hello, many many years ago i had an old maxi that use to sound like a marble in a tin can, more known as pinking, at that time i think paddy hopkirk endorsed a engine oil additive what was called liquid P T F E , so me/wife/2 kids/ mother went to north wales about 150 miles from south Oxon, i put this in before we left, i can honestly say after 50 plus miles the noise had stopped and the exhaust was clean, plugs came out light brown, (alway carried a tool box) so i think it is worth a go, also my friend at that time worked in Esso  engine lab and he recommended, as happened we put some leak stop in my sons meriva last year after 50 miles no leaks, these additives can help, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I thought the Slick 50 was meant to coat all the moving parts with PTFE and make things run more smoothly.

I think he might be getting mixed up with mollyslip.

Another one foe slick 50 it does how tight choke says coat internals with PTFE and it does did work, We used to run in the 80s cam in head vauxhalls and opels  Mantas asconas Kadetts with 1.9 and 2 litre engines, these were a sturdy enough engine with a couple of weaker spots, one was the oil pump and though easy enough to change the impellers was a constant concern, when engine RPm was high and big lumpy cams (EMEM) were used.

The hydraulic tappets used to jack out put the hurt on the cam followers and wipe the cam lobes out with premature wear.  Twin 45 dellortos and youthfull exuberance had engine swaps and rebuilds a real danger, and got the nod on slick 50 , did the deed and i can tell you it did help prolong the cam wear and associated issues.

Not knowing what car you got or why its clattery i can not say if slick would help you or not, but it does help slow wear in my opinion and i think you could do a lot worse than try it.

It’s a 1983 Merc 280 SL. The colour is ‘petrol blue’ but that’s metallic green in the real world - not my cup of tea, but the car was straight, solid and cheap.

The sun is shining so I’ll get the cover off and some photos up today.

13 hours ago, Dougy said:

Chainsaw oil will reduce the noise considerably. Dodgy dealers will put that in before selling old bangers. 

Come on what hve you got now ? A Vauxhall Viva ? 

hello, i had one and that rattled like a diesel,   not forgetting the oil sludge in the rocker cover, it did run well,    

The late and great Roger Clarke promoted Slick 50 I believe and wasn't there an engine version and a gearbox version ?  I know I ran the V8 in my first Range Rover (original 2 door) on Slick 50 and the engine was still running smooth when the body had given up.  The only additive I use now is to help lubricate the valves because I am running on LPG. 

STP oil treatment used to quiet them down, and you can still buy it fairly cheaply.

The first port of call though would be an thorough engine flush and some fresh oil, it could just have low oil pressure, although if its more a knock than a rattle, I dont think anything besides surgery will help.

Here she is.

Had it confirmed today that (as suspected) the soft top is beyond repair 😆

The other SL suffered from uneven cam shaft lobe wear - the spray bar was clocked and the end lobe got no lube. The fix was a new cam shaft with followers and lifters and that hurt.

Ill try a can of slick 50 first 😁

D98547AF-41B7-458B-996C-727AA9171498.jpeg

Hard top is in great condition and is on a stand in the garage.

At lunchtime I took it to the bloke who sprayed my last car (5 years on and it’s still as good as the day it came out of the spray booth) and to get him to quote for a localised tart up.

try a ptfe based enjine oil..(expensive).............check tappits...........and use petrol that has plenty of lead in it...(which you cant get anymore:mad:)....thats the biggest cause of noisy engines from that time....so now you use a special lead replacement addertive......

Mungler before you add anything, see if you can get to the oil spray bar and clean it out. Sometimes drilling larger holes for the oil to get through works wonders. If this is not possible, use some good oil flush before dropping the oil and filter. Then use Castrol for higher milage and older engines. Modern oils are no good they never run right on the newer oil. 

Then if you still have noise use an additive.

Have used slick 50 in both engine and gearbox. Can't say I noticed a difference. Sure more modern additives would  work better.