Greetings from the USA

Greetings,

Wildfowler, lab trainer, and stalker from North Carolina. Have had the pleasure to stalk and gun in Scotland and Sussex on several occasions. Thought I would drop by and read a bit on this site.  

Also have been following the whole revocation of GL fiasco, hope it sorts out in your favor soon.

Coot

Welcome aboard.

27 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

:welcomeani:   Welcome Coot. Another of our cousins from across the pond. If the GL fiasco doesnt improve, I think a number of us will upsticks and come over to your neck of the woods !

JJ ... if you do then you will need to hand in your moderators/silencers as they are considered a NO NO at the moment in the USA and require an application which makes our FAC application look easy peasy.

33 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

will need to hand in your moderators/silencers as they are considered a NO NO

Is there nowhere left in this world where the screws are not being slowly tightened on gun ownership and shooting sports ?

We have drug related crime seemingly running out of control,  underfunded Police forces who struggle to cope and knife crime resulting in weekly deaths.  And yet here we are with a Quango and a goverment department seemingly totally taken up with sorting out the legal aspects of when and under what conditions we can shoot a Magpie ! I wonder when the dust settles after this total debacle, if someone will count up how much this whole sorry and avoidable mess has cost.

Meanwhile, the instigator will be continuing to stuff his greedy little pockets with cash and jet off around the world with a collection of his twitcher friends at £6,500 per head. Can anyone please reassure me that the lunatics have not totally taken over and are running the aysylum ?

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Welcome aboard.

JJ ... if you do then you will need to hand in your moderators/silencers as they are considered a NO NO at the moment in the USA and require an application which makes our FAC application look easy peasy.

It’s not hard to get a suppressor in North Carolina.  But it’s taxed at $200 plus 7%.  Took me 6 months from paying to pickup.  Trick is to file the paperwork and forget about it.  It’s dumb that a suppressor is taxed like a full auto machine gun or a hand grenade though.  I would love to own a hand grenade but the $200 tax scares me off. 

94F3EA16-2ABA-4253-ACCF-4BC365C22B74.jpeg

13 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Welcome! How did you find our UK shooting? :welcomeani:

In some ways unique and exciting, in others - well birds will be birds.

we haven't been able to use lead shot for waterfowl since the 1980s, and haven't been able to bait or night shoot since the 1930s. My second shoot was mallards at night over a carp pond where they were eating all the carp feed. It was a magnificent night and had a nice bag.  My first shoot was a warm up the afternoon of the night shoot. A small copse of wood with some pigeons. The winds were classic Scottish gales (small children were out flying shingle rocks as kites - haha) and it took me a while before I sorted out the lead. 

I've also had a few days on the geese and at some point I will connect on a red grouse. Lots of reason to come back over.