bobbymagnet

Help ID part of gun found in canal

Hello. First post please be gentle! Been doing some magnet fishing in Leeds to Liverpool canal. Found part of what looks to be a single barrel shotgun. Its been sawn up, theres no markings on it, just looking to see if any experts can shed some light on it. Im reffering to it as "the middle bit" at the moment. Thanks for your time.

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

Speaking as an ex-copper I'd like to think you'd do the decent thing and hand it in. It's probably of no interest but it might also be a very significant find.

45 minutes ago, 1066 said:

Rather odd that the trigger is fitted backwards

Perhaps the previous owner converted it with the view to commiting suicide. Then changed his mind and chopped it ! 😉

10 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Perhaps the previous owner converted it with the view to commiting suicide. Then changed his mind and chopped it ! 😉

Unless he's in the water too and didn't stick to the magnet!:whistling:

Great hiding place, loads of stuff gets put in to bodies of water, last time they dredged the Welland in Stamford an L2 Grenade turned up!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Spellage!

Is it not just the trigger guard having been cut through rather than the trigger mounted backwards?

8 hours ago, Jimiles said:

Speaking as an ex-copper I'd like to think you'd do the decent thing and hand it in. It's probably of no interest but it might also be a very significant find.

Hiya, thanks for reply, do you know what the law is regarding this, for instance, am i breaking any law if i were to keep it for collective purposes. It was really corroded, i have cleaned it on a bench vice, it had been in there quite a while. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Teal said:

Is it not just the trigger guard having been cut through rather than the trigger mounted backwards?

Im under the impression its the lever enabling loading of the gun, it does move and its most definitely not installed backwards.

Edited by bobbymagnet

2 minutes ago, Teal said:

You are correct. It is the trigger guard. However in good old Pigeon Watch conspiritory theory mode, it makes a better thread if its the trigger ! :whistling:

6 minutes ago, bobbymagnet said:

Im under the impression its the lever enabling loading of the gun,

Your first photo appears to show the remains of the top lever that has been cut through in line with the rear of the action. So the trigger shaped part would appear to be part of the trigger guard as Teal has pointed out.

I see. Thanks for the photo. So thats not actually the trigger in my pic, its the mechanism to allow the gun to fold (dont know correct word sorry)? 

Edited by bobbymagnet

2 hours ago, bobbymagnet said:

I see. Thanks for the photo. So thats not actually the trigger in my pic, its the mechanism to allow the gun to fold (dont know correct word sorry)? 

Correct, folding 410 has a leaver infront the trigger guard that breaks the gun for reloading or folding 

13 hours ago, bobbymagnet said:

Hiya, thanks for reply, do you know what the law is regarding this, for instance, am i breaking any law if i were to keep it for collective purposes. It was really corroded, i have cleaned it on a bench vice, it had been in there quite a while. Thanks.

I don't think you'd be contravening the Firearms Act by keeping it but I do think there is a remote possibility it could be of evidential value in a serious crime. I appreciate it is highly unlikely but somebody went to a lot of trouble to dispose of this and they had good reason to do that. My understanding is that modern forensics have the ability to match firing pins/strikers and also breech faces to recovered cartridge cases thus linking a weapon to a crime. I think the police would want to look at this but I'm sure they would return it to you if it was found to be of no interest.

19 hours ago, 1066 said:

Rather odd that the trigger is fitted backwards.

Not really, I do believe they were manufactured for a particular breed of ‘strange folk’ from around Kings Lynn, who by a freak of nature, have limbs that are rotated 180 degrees 

16 hours ago, Teal said:

Yes, you're right, I see that now. Apart from being chopped up with what looks like an angle grinder it seems to have taken a good hammering judging by the heavy dents in places.