686 Sporter Barrels on a 682X Trap

Wingman

Hi All

Quick one, does anyone happen to know if its possible to swap the barrels between a Beretta S686 Special and a 682X Trap gun? My mate has a 682X 30" tubes multichoke, and is looking at a 686S and we were both wondering if they use the same barrel configuration and can swapped around.

Purely academic at this point but I didnt know the answer so thought I would ask!

It's a yes from me too, but might need a little fettling from a gunsmith on either barrels to action or the barrel lug and forend ironwork . Stocks on 682X were monte carlo and designed for the slightly stepped rib. If you put the 686 flat rib barrels onto the 682X action you may find the stock is too high. 

Thanks for the comments.

I did ask him what the point was, as his 682X is a multi choke so probably still useful as an all round sporter despite the MC stock and step rib, I think it was more of a question out of interest!

Actually I have shot the 682X on sporting and did rather well with it, it doesnt feel very much like a trap gun to me!

They may well interchange but neither combo will be shootable, the X configuration means it'll have a stepped rib and as such the sight pic will only suit the trap Monte Carlo stocks. I shoot a 682E and briefly owned a 682EX and have physically swapped things over. 

Good info thanks for that.

I wonder how many people actually use guns like these for all round use, as I said when I shot with it it felt very natural to me. I really liked the parallel comb and higher head position and managed to put in a decent performance although on high fast crossers i really struggled.

Just now, Wingman said:

Good info thanks for that.

I wonder how many people actually use guns like these for all round use, as I said when I shot with it it felt very natural to me. I really liked the parallel comb and higher head position and managed to put in a decent performance although on high fast crossers i really struggled.

My eldest uses a 32" 682X for English Sporting targets, I have some spare barrels that fit but he sticks to the high rib barrels.

Pal of mine is constantly complaining he cant get a gun to fit. He has tried monte stocks, adjustable stocks. He has now fitted a trap stock to his browning and about to order a custom high rib to fit onto it. I have no idea if this will work but time will tell. He likes to shoot sporting and DTL.

I have a 682 x trap 32” fixed choke, 3/4 and full which I used to shoot perfectly well with at sporting and Fitasc. Only moved on because I wanted new toys!

Think is does depend on your physical stature though, I’m fairly tall with a long neck so the montecarlo stock suited me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after much consideration I have now acquired said 682X Trap gun as my own! Ended up swapping my Perazzi MT6 for it which I loved but never really shot well with so a deal was done and I am very pleased with the new (old) gun. Its a 1987 vintage in 9/10 condition apart from a few wear related marks.  Have to say I love the stepped rib and monte carlo stock took it out on the clays earlier this week and did better than I have in ages.  For me being able to "float" the target felt very natural and works well for me as I have a bit of an issue with shooting underneath with my other guns.  Absolutely nailed driven and going away birds, crossers are a bit harder but once I learn where it shoots I think they will come also. Will certainly be trying to find a DTL layout locally also which used to be my favourite discipline. 

Feels as though its built like a tank, bit of a heavy beast but handles beautifully to me.

IMG_0692.jpg

Edited by Wingman