So what’s the back story on this.

NoBodyImportant

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Knife crime and homicide is reportedly a real problem in London at the moment, predominantly, from what I have seen on the news, amongst black kids and gangs and involving drugs and "low level" crime! The police, in an attempt to arrest this growing problem have initiated more "stop and search" powers, the items in your picture are everyday tools, but if someone is stopped and searched and have no reasonable explanation why they are carrying them, I would imagine the police will confiscate them?.......it also looks good, publicity wise, they have to be seen to be doing something!'........I suppose they are working on the basis that Screwdrivers and Scissors could both be used as weapons?

The police in the UK log any and all reports of incidents involving guns, even air guns and replicas as 'firearm crime' it distorts the real figures, but it suits them to do so! 

You will probably find these were picked up on a sweep rather than a stop and search.

Its common for items to be hidden where they can be grabbed if needed - without the 'risk' of carrying them around (due to increased stop and search) and if you are nabbed a good brief can put up a case of 'he was off to fix his bike or the such as they are not (as some have said) sharp stabby things

Its amazing the amount of items you will find in areas people congregate if you know where to look

I'm going to hold off bashing the cops, without knowing the background. 

If the items the op posted were taken from an individual up to no good, then that's job well done in my book, imagine if they'd stopped someone and thought "it's only a pair of scissors" only for someone to get stabbed with them later, I'm sure the same people criticising the police now, would also critisize them for not confiscating the items, the police really can't win sometimes. 

35 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

imagine if they'd stopped someone and thought "it's only a pair of scissors" only for someone to get stabbed with them later, I'm sure the same people criticising the police now, would also critisize them for not confiscating the items, the police really can't win sometimes. 

No I would not, and neither should anyone else.  The responsibility for that lies with the individual.  Anything is a weapon.  Confiscating household items as if we were toddlers is the road to hell.

I count a couple of serving coppers amongst my small group of friends, so am not one to cop-bash.  There are parts of that job that are, truly, awful and I wouldn’t want to do it for 10x the salary they earn.

However, my point above was that we have reached a stage whereby some serving police officers are so unthinking that they feel the urge to post on social media proudly boasting about how they prevent cutlery and kitchen knives from hitting the streets after a concerned charity shop worker called them.  This is not, in any sense of the word, policing or keeping the Queen’s peace.  It’s a ‘do something’ reaction to the knife crime epidemic, and the backlash from their previous social media obsession, which was ensuring nobody said any nasty words online.

Lions/Donkeys springs to mind

I have carried an almost identical collection in a carrier bag before, off to fix something or other at my parents, a door lock/latch:  I need the scissors to open the damn plastic of a new lock, the screwdrivers for obvious reasons, the file because the old screw holes are never in the right place and the cattchment needs "adjusting".  Pliers are a must for any job and snipe nosed ones more so when you drop the screw behind the cooker.

The point is, as said above, putting these on display and expecting a pat on the back is not helping the Police cause.  I am all for the Police, have called them a number of times myself, always been helpful, even when my 6 year old son nearly shot his grandad because some idiot thought making a 22 rimfire shooting "pistol" look like a silver, plastic cowboy toy gun.

Bad people do bad things and they will use anything they can find or have to hand to do them.  Take off your belt and it is a dammed good whip, are big buckles banned?  Roll up a newspaper, it might as well be a runcheon.

There is no end it seems to the silliness on display here, so given the lack of any context, what do you want me to say?  "Well done Officer".  Good job."

RS

I'm all for the police removing "offensive weapons" and taking action against those found in possession. However, my problem with the above is that a kid from the 'Hood' is going to be carrying a real weapon not a mini toolkit suitable for something like adjusting a hedgetrimmer. The really sad part is that the only outcome from their "weapons sweep" was to boast about taking someone's toolkit off the streets. Do they not realise that he's probably replaced his tools already.

Regents Park Police need a good kick up the jacksie for this tomfoolery and be instructed to go and find some genuine weapons before acting like some bimbo from a reality TV show.

i think people are failing to see the point of a weapons sweep.

Areas are searched (usually parks, stairwells and the such) for hidden caches of weapons (or drugs and such), they are hidden to avoid carry them and possibly getting pulled with one but are still accessible if required, they are also hard to trace to one specific person or supplier along with being easy to defend in court.

Some may have well been left by council workers or discarded.

There is no mention of if they were found in a bin, hidden in some railings, taped under a bench 

A lot of the time nothing will be found but its its all part of a big game and showing people that searches are being carried out and things are found.

Thing is, do nothing and get moaned at for doing nothing, tell people you are doing searches and have found X Y and Z and get moaned at for finding pliers and a screwdriver or nothing at all.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

No I would not, and neither should anyone else.  The responsibility for that lies with the individual.  Anything is a weapon.  Confiscating household items as if we were toddlers is the road to hell.

I count a couple of serving coppers amongst my small group of friends, so am not one to cop-bash.  There are parts of that job that are, truly, awful and I wouldn’t want to do it for 10x the salary they earn.

However, my point above was that we have reached a stage whereby some serving police officers are so unthinking that they feel the urge to post on social media proudly boasting about how they prevent cutlery and kitchen knives from hitting the streets after a concerned charity shop worker called them.  This is not, in any sense of the word, policing or keeping the Queen’s peace.  It’s a ‘do something’ reaction to the knife crime epidemic, and the backlash from their previous social media obsession, which was ensuring nobody said any nasty words online.

This. 👍

They're gonna be busy if charity shops are targeted! 😳

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I wasn't referring to your post, but the original and I'm pointing out that without knowing the back story, giving the cops criticism for trying to keep the streets safe is unhelpful, just look at whats going on in many major city's including London with people getting stabbed. 

7 hours ago, clakk said:

Looks more like "going equipped to burgle " than a serial killer on a day trip ,yes some cheap poundland tools have been taken off the street .What next you going to confiscate every kitchen drawer in London.

If you are carrying your kitchen drawers on the street then yes, if they are in your house no, what don't you get about stop and search?

4 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

They're at it again.  Intercepting charity shop donations and taking spoons and sharpening steels off the streets...

knifey-spoony.PNG.240f2c99320d42bf866e108993215c52.PNG

What gets me is they post these things, apparently with a complete lack of self-awareness of how ridiculous this looks.

shame..............there might have been some really expensive cooking knives in that lot.................

22 minutes ago, henry d said:

If you are carrying your kitchen drawers on the street then yes, if they are in your house no, what don't you get about stop and search?

Ooh the venom :lol: who said they were from a stop and search ?

Best make sure if you are moving house , you dispose of all your sharps first, wouldnt want to get caught on the street with them eh ?

The original tweet from a year ago has some hilarious comments 

You do need a twitter account to view though.

28 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Ooh the venom :lol: who said they were from a stop and search ?

Best make sure if you are moving house , you dispose of all your sharps first, wouldnt want to get caught on the street with them eh ?

The original tweet from a year ago has some hilarious comments 

You do need a twitter account to view though.

:lol: yes indeed the 'weapons of mass construction' one made me chuckle.