Land Rover drive shafts

Walker570

I have just replaced the front driveshaft on my Landie 90  1989 model. The yokes on the old one was just starting to show signs of wear and they are not the earth to buy so decided to stick a new one on.

The old one appeared to be short by about 1 1/2 inches and although the new one was listed as fitting this model it also appeared to be short by the same amount.  Now the old one has been there since I have owned it and before,  over 10yrs and has run no problem. The splines are just showing lear of the rubber cover.  Any of you Landy experts with any views as to why and should I fit a different prop shaft ?

The new one is running fine as did the old one.  The vehicle has 127 miles to go for 200,000 miles,  130,000 in my possession.   It has been converted to a V8 from a deisel but the gearbox/transfer box is still in the same position.    Both shafts are 22 1/2 inches centre to centre of the universal joint.

well to be quite honest..............if you google drive shafts half shafts....they are the same thing.........

1 1/2" slack seems a bit excessive tho'............may be the axel is non-spec as it has been modified with a V8...

Interesting.    It is the front driveshaft from transfer box to diff.   I have put a Range Rover back axle on which has disc brakes and is a direct replacement and makes no difference to the rear drive shaft.    I cannot see any difference with the front diff to any other 90.  The suspension has not been lifted, that's standard height.  As said the original driveshaft has been on for ten years to my knowledge and may have been on since 1989 .... it looks that old anyway.

Originally when I purchased it, it was fitted with the LT77 box and the low ratio transfer box.  I put a high ratio transfer box on it, which outwardly is the same configuration.

Front axle/diff looks standard.

12 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Guys I knew used to change the diffs when fitting a V8 engine in a Series 2/3LR......dunno if that would explain the driveshaft length issue?

That was.... I think..... just the innards to get a higher ratio.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

that is a propshaft....with a UJ yoke on either end............................about 5 years ago i did a post about changing UJ's on front and back propshafts...maybe have a look at that .......

If it's the propshaft my theory re: the driveshafts is out of the window!

It's been many years since I have been under a Landpig..........but is there not a joint in the front propshaft which allows the splines to slide in and out when driving over rough terrain?

37 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

If it's the propshaft my theory re: the driveshafts is out of the window!

It's been many years since I have been under a Landpig..........but is there not a joint in the front propshaft which allows the splines to slide in and out when driving over rough terrain?

mine as well.............both props back and front are extenderble...................one thing to remember when you re-assemble them..........MAKE SURE THE ARROWS LINE UP WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK TOGETHER..........the props are spun and balanced....then marked at the joints.............

check my post from way back and you will see the marks........my landy is the same year as yours....

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

that is a propshaft....with a UJ yoke on either end............................about 5 years ago i did a post about changing UJ's on front and back propshafts...maybe have a look at that .......

Always been a drive shaft in my world, but hope y'all now knwo what I am talking about.  The very slight slackness in the yoke became apparent when my mechanic was fitting a new uni on the rear shaft. As always whilst it was up in the air he ran through all of his checks and found just a slight  give, so I decided £70 was not going to break the bank and we would have a new one.   Have a friend who is a retired developement engineer at the ORIGINAL Land Rover, Solihull, when they built PROPER off road working machines, I will give him a call as I know he keeps in touch with all the other team members.  Thanks for your input, appreciated.

Edited by Walker570

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, jeffgg said:

You say it has a LT77 box and now you say it has a LT85 box   

Just had a look at what I said and it was a bit confused, yes originally it did have an LT77 box but I had that taken out with the not too good conversion by some firm in Telford and fitted the LT85 box as that was designed for the V8, I think under license by the Spanish company.  It was a straight forward change over and all fittings lined up the same.

Still no further with getting answers.