Buying a air rifle.

rimfire4969

I want to buy a air rifle I have found what I am after online and have it posted to me. It’s from a private seller.

How do I make sure I am not going to get ripped off. He wants payment by bank transfer (which can’t be reversed) or Paypal (which I think will give no cover as it’s a gun).

I have 3 photos of the gun, a email address, mobile number. And home town. I know it’s easy to get a email address and phones can be blocked. I don’t know the guy the gun is around the money it should be not a fantastic deal. 

Edited by rimfire4969

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bought a shot gun from photos phoned guy and he said it was a 9 out 10 bought when I went to rfd to pick it up didn't want to touch it my local rfd said he would have scored it a 5 got money back but still ended up about £40 quid out of pocket would never buy again from photos

6 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Bought quite a few guns this way - NEVER paid up front, always agree with the seller that he pays postage to you but you are responsible for return costs if the gun is not right.

That would work for me, but as a seller not sure I would send it. 

50 minutes ago, rimfire4969 said:

I want to buy a air rifle I have found what I am after online and have it posted to me. It’s from a private seller.

How do I make sure I am not going to get ripped off. He wants payment by bank transfer (which can’t be reversed) or Paypal (which I think will give no cover as it’s a gun).

I have 3 photos of the gun, a email address, mobile number. And home town. I know it’s easy to get a email address and phones can be blocked. I don’t know the guy the gun is around the money it should be not a fantastic deal. 

hello, can you send me a link, what rifle is it ? what online web site or ? is it for sale ?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Bought quite a few guns this way - NEVER paid up front, always agree with the seller that he pays postage to you but you are responsible for return costs if the gun is not right.

People you dont know have posted the gun to you without payment ?

Whats to stop you ripping them off then ?

Rewulf - if the seller doesn't like the agreement then they are under no obligation to sell to me, most shooting men are honest in my experience. Why would I rip someone off? Have also posted Airguns with payment agreed once the buyer has inspected and approved that the gun is as I described - I also offer a money back promise if anything goes wrong in the first year - not worth ripping people off for a few hundred quid is it?

38 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Rewulf - if the seller doesn't like the agreement then they are under no obligation to sell to me, most shooting men are honest in my experience. Why would I rip someone off? Have also posted Airguns with payment agreed once the buyer has inspected and approved that the gun is as I described - I also offer a money back promise if anything goes wrong in the first year - not worth ripping people off for a few hundred quid is it?

It is a sad fact of life that some people will rip you off for a tenner. 

4 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Bruno, that's better than any gun shops offer on second hand 👏👏

3 hours ago, rimfire4969 said:

It is a sad fact of life that some people will rip you off for a tenner. 

Unfortunately yes, thankfully not everyone.

10 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

I wasnt insinuating that you would rip anyone off.
By the same logic though, if they trust you, why should you not trust them by paying them for the goods up front (like in most transactions) and have an agreement where, if you are not satisfied, you send it back and get your money back ? (Again, as in most transactions)
You dont walk into the supermarket, get £100 worth of shopping and tell them youll pay for them when youve eaten it and are fully satisfied with the quality !
Or take a car off a forcourt , not pay for it , and tell the trader, Ill use it for a couple of months, then take it back because its not as fast as you thought it would be.

Its not really how trading works is it ?

But I am not a trader!! so different parameters apply. At the end of the day it's the way I normally like to buy/sell but if the buyer/seller does not like the "terms" then the sale simply does not go ahead. Another way of looking at your food example is that I Cannot think of a Supermarket that doesn't offer a 100% refund on an item that "fails to satisfy" - I have returned hundreds of food items for a refund that were, in my opinion, below standard - even if it's simply a lack of flavour. If you want to return a car after a short while (30 days I think) then you simply view the car without giving any details - wait a few days then buy it over the phone, you are then covered by the distance selling act - you have the right to return the car within said 30 days without even giving a reason. I fully understand your points and I did not think you were suggesting that I would rip anybody off, but there is normally 2 ways to look at a problem and a myriad of solutions.

28 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

But I am not a trader!! so different parameters apply. At the end of the day it's the way I normally like to buy/sell but if the buyer/seller does not like the "terms" then the sale simply does not go ahead. Another way of looking at your food example is that I Cannot think of a Supermarket that doesn't offer a 100% refund on an item that "fails to satisfy" - I have returned hundreds of food items for a refund that were, in my opinion, below standard - even if it's simply a lack of flavour. If you want to return a car after a short while (30 days I think) then you simply view the car without giving any details - wait a few days then buy it over the phone, you are then covered by the distance selling act - you have the right to return the car within said 30 days without even giving a reason. I fully understand your points and I did not think you were suggesting that I would rip anybody off, but there is normally 2 ways to look at a problem and a myriad of solutions.

The parameters that apply are you normally have to pay for your goods before you reject them !

If you can find people, trade or private, that will send you goods without payment for your perusal, then good for you.
Even if I know and trust someone well, I would expect them to pay for the item, then Ill send/hand it over, if they find fault or dont like it , Ill give them their money back.
They have trusted me, so I will respect that trust by refunding them.

All you are doing is turning it round, asking them to trust you while you test the item, then you deem fit to pay for it or return.
Very few sellers will entertain this type of transaction.

Usually when I buy something ,it is because I have a WANT for it, and have negotiated a price I am happy with, for me to them tell the vendor Im not paying for it until Im happy with it, and getting soundly rejected, is a complete waste of my time, and the sellers.

• 1 month later...
On 16/05/2019 at 07:50, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, you could give Nick of Tinbum air rifle tuning a call on 0800 77 20177, he might know of one for sale around Cornwall,  lives in Marhamchurch. i have a 22 for sale but it is a PCP, 

Just had a Tinbun tunning kit removed from a TX200hc as his tunning kit had ruined a rifle. Now its been fully tuned by sandwell field sports in birmingham shoots and soubds like a dream. 

29 minutes ago, Arron yeates said:

Just had a Tinbun tunning kit removed from a TX200hc as his tunning kit had ruined a rifle. Now its been fully tuned by sandwell field sports in birmingham shoots and soubds like a dream. 

hello, how did a delrin made tuning kit ruin this air rifle? who fitted the tinbum kit ?