Lube for cast .308

Looking for some advice, can I use Lee Liquid allox on these or do I need to use a wax lube to fill the grooves? I cast these shiny beauties for a .308 project. Came out quite well I think. Managed to fit my R.c.b.s.mold handles to my Lyman .30 cal mold to produce 100 of these. Quite few went back in the pot to start with. Cast with a linotype/lead mix (thankyou Vince Green) 

20190515_231158.jpg

How fast as you planning on pushing them? And how are you fitting the gas checks? If you’re using a lubesizer I’d lube at the same time, if you’re using a push through sizer try the allox, it’s quick and easy! 

Have you slugged you’re bore and how do you’re bullets compare? They want to be approx. 0.002” larger or you’re likely to get leading which is easily mistaken for a lack of lube. 

I have to say that they look as if they were cast a bit on the cool side and haven't quite filled out around the lube grooves.

As for lube, I'd go with White Label's Carnauba Red (pm me for the source) as I pushed my 308 boolits to 2600 fps with no leading using it.

Glad to see another convert to making (rather than assembling) ammunition for very low cost.

NB Don't make the alloy too hard! 15 Brinell is fine unless you are going to push them really fast. Boolit fit is everything. I size mine to .310"

Thanks for replies.

Dodyrog, re casting temp, very possibly too cool. Was struggling a bit with flippin useless halogen hob,(amateur) just not hot enough. Had better luck with gas camp stove. Do you use a hardness gauge or other to measure? Bought a pencil set to give an idea of hardness. 2600 fps and no leading... impressed. What sort of accuracy have you achieved?  I take it L.L.Allox is not up to those speeds then.my ideal would be to develop a deer legal (above 2050fps) accurate load that performs on target (good expansion)

What proportion linotype to range lead would give 15 brinell hrdnss approx?

I also have some pure pb if that is relevant....thanks.

Range lead 50%, lino 10%, soft lead 40% should get you near the mark.

I use a SAECO hardness tester.

1800 fpsto 2000 fps is good (using Alliant 2400 or Viht 110) more speed is less important than the boolit shape. Boolit choice is important, I steer clear of the Lee moulds, personal preference really. NOE moulds are my favourite but are pricey - I have 20!!! The old Ideal moulds are nice and better quality than the current Lyman (Chinese made) offerings.

Liquid Alox I find messy but it works - 45/45/10 is better. I use several lubesizers 'coz I cast 1000's of boolits of all calibres. 3 Lyman, 2 RCBS, 1 Star and 2 Magma automatic lubesizers. I prefer the RCBS and the Star. For melting the lead I use an RCBS Pro Melt - a lot of money but worth every penny. RCBS after sales service is second to none. As stated the Carnauba Red is briiliant lube.

The Lee Dripomatic pots are not good. Secondhand Lyman and RCBS pots come onto the market now and then - look for one of those.

Hope this all helps - you've started down a long, expensive, but very rewarding road!