Darne (it?)

CaptC

Watched a video of a Darne shotgun and was impressed by the slimness of the build and the "efficient" method of loading and ejecting. In my 60 odd years of shooting I have never seen one in the field or a gun shop.

Any of the PW brigade actually own or use one?

Thanks

29 minutes ago, CaptC said:

Watched a video of a Darne shotgun and was impressed by the slimness of the build and the "efficient" method of loading and ejecting. In my 60 odd years of shooting I have never seen one in the field or a gun shop.

Any of the PW brigade actually own or use one?

Thanks

Stourboy on here has one in my favourite 16 gauge which I`ve used and found it pleasant to use but the sliding breech and safety take some getting used to. Stourboy loves his and also has another with the same action, French, but the make of that one escapes me. The engineering on the Darne is first class. 

OB

21 minutes ago, CaptC said:

Thank you JJsDad - I had a perusal of the S/S Club over coffee this morning. A case of the more I read the more it puts me off!

Much appreciate all the comments!

Oh dear, I sincerely hope that my comments on that link were not too derogatory. The engineering and overall concept of the sliding breech is great. Getting used to it, however, is another thing. Once mastered, I'm sure that it would be effortless. They are good to shoot though.

OB

I do have one in 12 gauge.  Very light, very fast handling, kicks like a mule.  Typically 'oddball French - even the safety catch works backwards!  The better grades are beautifully engineered.  Fun to use occasionally, but slow to reload, and can pinch you when closing!

darne 1.JPG

darne 2.JPG

darne 3.JPG

darne 4.JPG

Edited by JohnfromUK

10 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I do have one in 12 gauge.  Very light, very fast handling, kicks like a mule.  Typically 'oddball French - even the safety catch works backwards!  The better grades are beautifully engineered.  Fun to use occasionally, but slow to reload, and can pinch you when closing!

darne 1.JPG

darne 2.JPG

darne 3.JPG

darne 4.JPG

Now that is nice!! The upper end models are very good looking but the thought of trapped digits on a frosty day is a tad off putting! They can be remarkably well priced in the UK but they are very much a Marmite gun! My enthusiasm has very quickly drained thank you! 

Sorry to say that, if your are big into fine engineering / ownership of such a shotgun buy one.

If you're into shooting get something else.

The occasions I've used one I have handed it back and politely said ' thank you '.

Edited by Robertt

Although in production for a century or more, they have never been popular in the UK.  They are more popular on the continent (especially in 16 gauge) and in the USA.  The action is very strong and most are French 'triple palm (the proof symbol used is a palm tree) proof', and coupled with being light in weight can recoil viciously if used to their limits.  My 12 weighs just under 6 lbs and is lively with even 3/4 oz loads.  Some weight is saved by there being no lower barrel rib, and weight is very centrally concentrated making it feel very fast.  It also stops any swing just as fast!!  Barrels are usually on the short side (I think mine is about 27").  The breech is set well back over the triggers making the gun feel shorter than the actual 'pull length' measures.

There are various "Darne" models, mainly 'R' series and the more expensive 'V' series, plus a made to order only 'HS' (hors serie, meaning out of series) custom option.  In addition there was a more basic model sold under the "Halifax" name.  In the earliest part of the 20th century, other "Darne" family members built similar actioned guns under the same name.  The main maker was "Regis (or R.) Darne".  I can't remember the other names.

In the late 20th century, the business was sold to a man called "Bruguet" (not sue I have the spelling right there) who had been an employee I think, but he didn't secure permission to use the "Darne" name I believe, so recent guns are signed in his name.  I believe they are still made.

They were always quite expensive new, but never fetched much on the used market.

I have owned mine for about 30 years (it was made early 1960s) and it is a model V21, which (along with the V22 which is identical apart from different engraving).  V21 and V22 were the top 'catalogued' model, with the VHS  only above.  Model number is stamped on the barrel flats in a code (count the circle marks and add 11 I think or something bizarre like that!)

47 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Although in production for a century or more, they have never been popular in the UK.  They are more popular on the continent (especially in 16 gauge) and in the USA.  The action is very strong and most are French 'triple palm (the proof symbol used is a palm tree) proof', and coupled with being light in weight can recoil viciously if used to their limits.  My 12 weighs just under 6 lbs and is lively with even 3/4 oz loads.  Some weight is saved by there being no lower barrel rib, and weight is very centrally concentrated making it feel very fast.  It also stops any swing just as fast!!  Barrels are usually on the short side (I think mine is about 27").  The breech is set well back over the triggers making the gun feel shorter than the actual 'pull length' measures.

There are various "Darne" models, mainly 'R' series and the more expensive 'V' series, plus a made to order only 'HS' (hors serie, meaning out of series) custom option.  In addition there was a more basic model sold under the "Halifax" name.  In the earliest part of the 20th century, other "Darne" family members built similar actioned guns under the same name.  The main maker was "Regis (or R.) Darne".  I can't remember the other names.

In the late 20th century, the business was sold to a man called "Bruguet" (not sue I have the spelling right there) who had been an employee I think, but he didn't secure permission to use the "Darne" name I believe, so recent guns are signed in his name.  I believe they are still made.

They were always quite expensive new, but never fetched much on the used market.

I have owned mine for about 30 years (it was made early 1960s) and it is a model V21, which (along with the V22 which is identical apart from different engraving).  V21 and V22 were the top 'catalogued' model, with the VHS  only above.  Model number is stamped on the barrel flats in a code (count the circle marks and add 11 I think or something bizarre like that!)

Thanks for that info John.

Another maker, perhaps a family member as you mention was ZF, which I think was Z......... Frieres. Something brothers. My pal Stourboy has one as well as a Darne, both in 16g and they are identical in engineering, only the engraving differs. 

I think that the 27 or so inch barrels being French equate to 700mm which appears to be one of their standard lengths.

As you say, expensive to buy new but cheap secondhand, in the UK anyway. Very much a Marmite gun as CaptC said.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

14 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Thanks for that info John.

Another maker, perhaps a family member as you mention was ZF, which I think was Z......... Frieres. Something brothers. My pal Stourboy has one as well as a Darne, both in 16g and they are identical in engineering, only the engraving differs. 

I think that the 27 or so inch barrels being French equate to 700mm which appears to be one of their standard lengths.

As you say, expensive to buy new but cheap secondhand, in the UK anyway. Very much a Marmite gun as CaptC said.

OB

Could well be.  I would have to do some looking up to see if I could check that.  My main Darne book is in French, but I have some articles that you have kindly sent me in the past!

There is a chap on a USA forum I frequent who is very knowledgeable and is in touch with the current Breuguet factory (and has visited there).  He posts quite a lot in the Double Gun Journal forums.

Well I must say what interesting information this post has received! Many thanks. My "enthusiasm" for a Darne has greatly diminished.

Thanks to all who replied and especially to those who kindly offered me to try their Darne's but alas, distance in most cases was a gun too far.

Think I might now set my sights (excuse the pun) on a high grade Spanish sidelock one of which I stupidly sold! They are out there ------

1 hour ago, CaptC said:

Think I might now set my sights (excuse the pun) on a high grade Spanish sidelock one of which I stupidly sold! They are out there ------

I bet there are many on here that have, in the past, sold nice guns and instantly regretted it. I know that I have. Once sold a W.R.Leeson 16g Sidelock ejector, albeit, sleeved, but nevertheless a lovely gun. 

OB

10 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I bet there are many on here that have, in the past, sold nice guns and instantly regretted it. I know that I have. Once sold a W.R.Leeson 16g Sidelock ejector, albeit, sleeved, but nevertheless a lovely gun. 

OB

As they say, life is full of regrets! 

19 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, plenty of nice spanish side locks out there  for sale  Paul,  even some very good English ones can be bought for a reasonable price, will you be using on your game shoot, ?   what shotgun did you have before ?

Yes, but torn between my beloved Browning Elite 20 bore!

19 minutes ago, CaptC said:

As they say, life is full of regrets! 

Yes, but torn between my beloved Browning Elite 20 bore!

hello, i can understand that, i got all nostalgic a few years back and thought to get a side by side, found a nice one but could not hit a ****** with it, yet i have in the past seen on clay shoots before the O/U became popular people i knew in our club with side by sides hit 25 straight sporting and even skeet, but not me :rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i can understand that, i got all nostalgic a few years back and thought to get a side by side, found a nice one but could not hit a ****** with it, yet i have in the past seen on clay shoots before the O/U became popular people i knew in our club with side by sides hit 25 straight sporting and even skeet, but not me :rolleyes: 

There's something about a side by side - Most of today's shoots they are quite rare. As you say, bargains - if you can find them - to be had!