Darne (it?)

CaptC

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

That other Darne type gun is Zavettero Freres

a link as follows -:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=zavettero+freres+shotgun&ie+UTF-8&hl+en-gb&client+safari

OB

There is further information on ZF here http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=443474&page=4

from where I pinched this image.

image.png.fbf92b867aa760837145c9fdaf61eced.png

1 minute ago, CaptC said:

Thank you - Zavattero made some interesting guns - not all sliding breech. 

Catalogue (to buy unfortunately) available here https://www.delcampe.net/en_GB/collectables/army-war/books-magazines-catalogs-catalogs/unclassified/catalogue-de-la-manufacture-moderne-d-armes-de-luxe-zavattero-freres-saint-etienne-100-pages-294905503.html

9 minutes ago, ditchman said:

love the engineering work on a sliding breech.................but whoever dreamed it up was not a shooting person..........how awkward can you get trying to load the damn thing sharpish

The key word is 'French' so like Eiffel great engineers but impracticable in use. 

i used one of those sxs on a shoot once ..............not the sliding breech one but where the barrels slipped over to the right hand side....that was more practicle than the french thingy...cant remember what the make was tho........as it was a borrowed gun

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, what was the make and model of that Spanish gun you mention Paul, ? that maybe something to consider ?

Might consider one Gordon but they are getting expensive contrary to the trend of mid range  S/S's having little value - Arrieta, Garbi, Pedro Arrizagabala, Grulla etc but not an AYA. Across the border in France there is Chapuis but rarely seen second hand which must say something?

4 minutes ago, CaptC said:

Might consider one Gordon but they are getting expensive contrary to the trend of mid range  S/S's having little value - Arrieta, Garbi, Pedro Arrizagabala, Grulla etc but not an AYA. Across the border in France there is Chapuis but rarely seen second hand which must say something?

hello, AYAs in sidelocks seem to hold the value better than a lot of the Spanish makes, i had a  Chapuis O/U  back in the 1980s cannot remember which model, but spent most time in the gun shop, the only gun i regret selling was a Army and Navy XXV type boxlock ejector 12 bore,  made for a Navy Officer, mint and cased, wish full thinking to find that one again

27 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, AYAs in sidelocks seem to hold the value better than a lot of the Spanish makes, i had a  Chapuis O/U  back in the 1980s cannot remember which model, but spent most time in the gun shop, the only gun i regret selling was a Army and Navy XXV type boxlock ejector 12 bore,  made for a Navy Officer, mint and cased, wish full thinking to find that one again

AYA No 2's seem to have dropped in value (once bought an AYA 25" brand new - double discharged on day one as did the replacement - never again) 

What we regret selling could fill these pages

In the 60's I bought a Purdey 12 gauge s/s hammer gun from a farmer for £15.00, it was well used with a hole in the right barrel..........I sold it at a profit for £20.00!  About the same time i owned a Woodwood s/s hammer 12 gauge with a broken stock, but the action was in good condition - I sold it to the late Reg Gizzi. Fieldsports Equipe. Rhyl for a pittance.

Edited by browning123

3 hours ago, browning123 said:

In the 60's I bought a Purdey 12 gauge s/s hammer gun from a farmer for £15.00, it was well used with a hole in the right barrel..........I sold it at a profit for £20.00!  About the same time i owned a Woodwood s/s hammer 12 gauge with a broken stock, but the action was in good condition - I sold it to the late Reg Gizzi. Fieldsports Equipe. Rhyl for a pittance.

Same here - In my black powder days I had a Henry Holland 10 bore, stoked it for another shot (yes, checked out before hand) fired and the right barrel blew just above my left hand! Another lesson learnt! Sold a cracking Perazzi as the detachable trigger fell out during on very hot stand during a drive. Non auto safety forgotten, pushed then safety too far and the trigger mechanism was in the mud. Happy days!