Orwellian or not...thoughts..

Walker570

Man fined £90 for covering his face as he passed facial recognition cameras in London.  Do you have a problem being checked on these cameras or is it the start of an Orwellian State...mind we have so many CCTV cameras around now it probably already is.

Personally if the technology catches and locks up criminals then they can take my picture all day every day.  It really is a modern form of 'old' technology, when the copper on the street could pick one out at a 100yrds and knew all of his local thieves etc.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's got ridiculous, the amount of cameras and privacy rights they have bypassed with anti terrorism laws. 

We are basically a police state but staffed with incompetents. Both police and government.

Fined for covering his face, so all these others who cover their faces will be fined too. I think not. Crash helmets not to be worn in banks etc but full hoods can die to religion. 

This country has lost the plot.

Edited by figgy

I had a nice chat with a copper in one of those camera-equipped caravan things they use in town centres the other month

I asked him what happens to the captured images of innocent people, who've aren't wanted and have their image captured without their permission............20 minutes later, he was forced to admit that he had no idea !

So, what does happen to them ? Anyone ?

i have got to say in all honesty it wouldnt bother me to be filmed

i have nothing to hide and we are all on cctv all the time so the only problem  its just this time you know about it 

as for the guy that got fined he did tell them to f off so he kinda deserved it

1 hour ago, B725 said:

So fined £90 for covering his face what happens if you are wearing a burka? 

Nothing at all. Rules only apply to some.

24 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

I had a nice chat with a copper in one of those camera-equipped caravan things they use in town centres the other month

I asked him what happens to the captured images of innocent people, who've aren't wanted and have their image captured without their permission............20 minutes later, he was forced to admit that he had no idea !

So, what does happen to them ? Anyone ?

They are all stored somewhere for future reference if required.

Sorry to break ranks chaps but whats wrong with simply accepting that the more faces identified by any means possible ought to mean its easier to track people who have in the recent past broken laws and who our security forces need to keep tabs on - a bit like ANPR cameras I guess.

I'm a good lad these days and have no issues with plod knowing I went down the A47 at 17 minutes past six on the 13th November 2018. Heck that could even establish an alibi of my wherabouts at that exact time.

How about when your insurance company says we are cancelling or raising your life insurance policy as you spend 3 hours a week working in the rough part of town ,as your too high a risk .

I personally think having your every move watched and recorded so you can be targeted for sales or be incriminated is a very bad thing .

Also the guy who was fined for covering his face .how did they know who it was. ? 

Unless they stopped him at the time for the fine ?? 

We all have photo driving licences and passports .

So they know who everybody is above the age of 5 years old (if they have. A passport ) 

Where u go and who you see ..

I guess its how they catch terrorists before they strike ..

Which is a good thing obviously. 

But the rest of the implications for freedom of movement  are grave .

If plod wants to stop me for anything they will know where im gonna be roughly at any time of most days .

33 minutes ago, Scully said:

Was he actually stopped and arrested for covering his face? Something doesn't add up here. 

Yes he was, they had a van with some face identification cameras plonked on top trialing it, he was told there were cameras up ahead by others so decided to cover his face, the police approached him and told him to uncover his face, he refused, he did tell them to "go away"so they fined him £90 for not uncovering his face.

In recent trials by other police forces one recognition system failed to recognize 2000 faces and another recognized someone who had committed a crime, he was arrested and held, but it was later shown that he was not the wanted person just looked similar.

They are removed after 31 days from the systems memory in that it overwrites stored data UNLESS IT IS REQUESTED TO BE SAVED FOR A VALID REASON . This is the accepted range for cctv  systems covering public open air spaces under the data protection act.There are many different types of cameras in use today have a quick google and see what they can do AND how long they have been in use for, Orwell was ahead of his time. Snowdon just let us peek through the window a little. P.s. facial recognition has been around for quite sometime spooky.! People can request footage of themselves walking through areas covered by cctv systems under the freedom of information act. It was on the radio today councils are using drones to record footage of illegal fly tipping so it’s not just the cameras on a long pole..........was the 97% failure from another country? I think this was also mentioned on radio 4 and the failure rate was weighed at a specific minority group .........Spooky!