Orwellian or not...thoughts..

Walker570

7 minutes ago, Scully said:

😀 But you can't check everyone to see if they've done something wrong! That's presuming guilt until proven innocent and the stuff of nightmares.....or an Orwellian society/state. 

I know but under the objectives of such a state the end goal would be like the Minority Report so they'd arrest you before you even commit the crime. One mans dream is another mans nightmare lol. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in favour of identity cards. I carried one for 28yrs and it never caused me a problem, in fact a few times it solved one.  I carry one today, it's called a driving license.

Act like a rear orifice and you deserve to get treated like one.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Pistol p said:

I'm fortunate enough to be able to walk on my hands. Would this be a problem? Or will I be classed as an extrovert/strange?

I which case, my name is chris Packham....

good point, but never forget the enormous cunning of todays modern police when checking every aspect of strange people and their footwear..:cry1:

crime-scene-shoe-print-casting-using-a-casting-medium-and-photographed-HF568X.jpg.ab55f3e36c37db733e81e9929947833d.jpg

I’ve just witnessed a video of my friend testing surveillance cameras in a supermarket aisle aimed at the crisp and snacks. This will tell the Tesco bods when a customer has purchased goods and they need replacing. His company has placed cameras in Tesco stores all over Britain. These cameras can automatically pixilate your face, but not your tattoos. Which is interesting.

It is really interesting that a lot of the PW contributors will huff and puff at increasing legislation around firearm licensing, the argument largely being why put ever more restriction and obligation onto the already law abiding.

By suggesting that if we have nothing to hide we should not object to surveillance, etc is being content to allow the majority of the already law abiding to be policed in a fashion that is defined by the acts of a minority.

I wouldn't be too worried about cctv, the majority is of such poor quality that to capture your face with any possibility of identifying you is very low. What would it matter that your seen walking through a town or shop on cctv? Nothing.  

What I do worry about is big data. How many that worry about cctv don't give a second thought to using Wi-Fi/Bluetooth  on your phone or laptop as you stroll through stores in town, using it in hotels and coffee shops, connecting it to your car, purchase things on credit/debit cards whilst doing it and leave personal details as you go? Too easy to leave it turned on isint it. Youll browse the internet without a second thought, perhaps using the same device from the comfort of your sofa.

This is extremely valuable to companies with little if any regulation and holds all sorts of data you wouldn't dream of giving to someone yet its sold on without you caring or even knowing. Your most personal details, purchases, movements,calls, conversations and friends. All complied and used to target people with adverts and the like. After all they know excatly what you like, you've told them multiple times. They know how much you earn and your spending habits to boot. 

They don't need cctv to see where you went this weekend as your phone checked in as you did it. Your credit card used to buy drinks whilst there and you posed for pics on Facebook or Twitter whilst you did it before hiding your face from the cctv camera. 

They know who your friends are on social media, when you sign up often there's a list of people " you might know" almost as if they've downloaded your contact list and know your old friends from school you haven't spoken to for a while. All stored remotely in "the cloud" of data servers in far flung places around the world. 

It's not the stringently regulated police and council cctv that should worry you, not by a long short. 

https://www.bernardmarr.com/default.asp?contentID=766

Edited by GingerCat

All very true GingerCat, it is incredibly scary how much privacy we have ceded in our ready adoption of technology.

I have posted on here about the same thing.  A colleague of mine has done a lot of work with a data aggregator, who are also a credit reference agency, and the depth and accuracy of data that they can amass on individuals based on behavioural tracking only is quite frankly mind blowing.

I suppose the other thing is that you can be tracked by your mobile 'phone signal, that's been used to support convictions.

Also ANPR can be used to 'place' you in a certain location.

That's the 21st century for you...

6 hours ago, grrclark said:

It is really interesting that a lot of the PW contributors will huff and puff at increasing legislation around firearm licensing, the argument largely being why put ever more restriction and obligation onto the already law abiding.

By suggesting that if we have nothing to hide we should not object to surveillance, etc is being content to allow the majority of the already law abiding to be policed in a fashion that is defined by the acts of a minority.

Yes it would do, but it would hopefully cause wrongdoers to either take their bad habits elsewhere or to change their bad habits and that would benefit the majority!

10 hours ago, Pistol p said:

I’ve just witnessed a video of my friend testing surveillance cameras in a supermarket aisle aimed at the crisp and snacks. This will tell the Tesco bods when a customer has purchased goods and they need replacing. His company has placed cameras in Tesco stores all over Britain. These cameras can automatically pixilate your face, but not your tattoos. Which is interesting.

I understand that every purchase you make at the checkout is noted by computer and added to a the list for stock replacement 

8 hours ago, grrclark said:

👍

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I'm in favour of identity cards. I carried one for 28yrs and it never caused me a problem, in fact a few times it solved one.  I carry one today, it's called a driving license.

I can agree with the second paragraph but not the second. The carrying of an identity card is simply state interference in my opinion, and there's already enough of that going on. I have numerous cards about my person which identify me, I fail to see what potential crimes carrying another will solve. Can anyone explain what potential crime the carrying of an identity card will prevent? 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I can agree with the second paragraph but not the second. The carrying of an identity card is simply state interference in my opinion, and there's already enough of that going on. I have numerous cards about my person which identify me, I fail to see what potential crimes carrying another will solve. Can anyone explain what potential crime the carrying of an identity card will prevent? 

Whilst I agree in principal with what you say,one would hope benefit and NHS fraud could be reduced.

Its a slippery slope, what next microchip babies after birth take their DNA. Why not they have nothing to hide. Employers Micro chip the work force , why not if they have nothing to hide. 

Edited by ordnance

15 hours ago, GingerCat said:

In case you damaged the room I guess. The rest of Europe demand Id as a condition when renting a hotel room.

1 hour ago, old man said:

All about money laundering now, they are trying to peg everyone who uses cash?

£35 booked by email.......... cheers