Hens slaughtered

Blackpowder

On Wednesday night something and without a doubt it was badger or badgers broke into my sister in laws hen run and slaughtered 5 of her 8 hens.   Despite defences being reinforced they were back again last night moving quite big stones to regain entry, no victims this time for a good job.   A security light has no been fitted and , and trip wired bell.  Anything else to be done, an electric fence is too expensive an option.  This is in Scotland would I be able to get permission to create a permanent cure?

Blackpowder

11 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

On Wednesday night something and without a doubt it was badger or badgers broke into my sister in laws hen run and slaughtered 5 of her 8 hens.   Despite defences being reinforced they were back again last night moving quite big stones to regain entry, no victims this time for a good job.   A security light has no been fitted and , and trip wired bell.  Anything else to be done, an electric fence is too expensive an option.  This is in Scotland would I be able to get permission to create a permanent cure?

Blackpowder

If it's only a 8 hen size run, electric wouldn't be too expensive, probably do it for around £100 if you use Ebay or Facebook marketplace. There isn't much that will stop a badger unfortunately 

Just now, kennett said:

If it's only a 8 hen size run, electric wouldn't be too expensive, probably do it for around £100 if you use Ebay or Facebook marketplace. There isn't much that will stop a badger unfortunately 

They have priced it and talking of £500

Blackpowder

How far is the hen house from an electric hook up ?    I have a mains unit they can have for £50 plus the postage. They will have to buy ome high tensile wire  and insulators ...

Mr Brock will happily chomp through the multi strand stuff.   If they have it, be warned...DO NOT TOUCH IT !  unless you fancy joining them in the space station. It bites.

PM me if they are interested.  Yep somebody is trying to rip them off.  We had them walk through and bite off standard cattle fencers and went to much more powerful units. This mains unit will sort them I think.

Edited by Walker570

28 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

They have priced it and talking of £500

Blackpowder

They need to look again, a second hand battery fencer will be well under £100, plus a few plastic posts and some wire which can all be picked up second hand or in kits on Ebay, I could re fence all my pheasant pens for less that £500!

23 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

How far is the hen house from an electric hook up ?    I have a mains unit they can have for £50 plus the postage. They will have to buy ome high tensile wire  and insulators ...

Mr Brock will happily chomp through the multi strand stuff.   If they have it, be warned...DO NOT TOUCH IT !  unless you fancy joining them in the space station. It bites.

PM me if they are interested.  Yep somebody is trying to rip them off.  We had them walk through and bite off standard cattle fencers and went to much more powerful units. This mains unit will sort them I think.

If mains power is a problem, they could use battery. I use battery fencing units around my pens and so far (touch wood) have never had a problem with fox or badger, and we have a LOT of the stripey ones!

Edited by kennett
Added something

I use metal fencing of the type you get at building sites to keep my chickens save. It's quite cheap if you look about as people are often getting rid of it. It's sunk in a bit with a trench of chicken wire 18 inches deep coming out in an L shape and rubble on top. 

The top is netted to stop crows. The badgers/foxes would need bolt cutters to get in there. If only it kept the rats out. 

This is the stuff https://firstfence.co.uk/standard-temporary-fencing-panel?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIppja88ej4gIVwrTtCh08BQN1EAQYASABEgI1GvD_BwE

Edited by GingerCat

10 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, you could try weld mesh panels, galvanized ? 6 x 4 ft sheets 2ft trenched 2 ft above then chicken wire rest with netting above to stop the crows or ??

Thanks again it seems as if they are going to give up on hen keeping.   Precautions taken yesterday when I went over include solar powered security light and trip wire to a bell.  Sen the hole and I would say made by badgers , whether something else took the opportunity I do not know.   Apparently dead birds were covered in straw in the coop.

Blackpowder

3 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

Thanks again it seems as if they are going to give up on hen keeping.   Precautions taken yesterday when I went over include solar powered security light and trip wire to a bell.  Sen the hole and I would say made by badgers , whether something else took the opportunity I do not know.   Apparently dead birds were covered in straw in the coop.

Blackpowder

hello, i have never heard of badgers killing chickens yet on google it seems to be the case, usually only 1, shame your friends are giving up, there is are farm i know keep a 1000 plus and nothing will get in the their big pens as fox and badger proof even 2 legged thieves would have a job to steal any,  the way i mentioned is a lot of work but once done and the light and bell i do not think would have any more problems, only way to know is a spy camera but there must be a set near as badgers will not go that far from them, cheers

I can only imagine that the £500 would be for electric poultry netting and energiser. I would go for the must easier and cheaper solution same as on every release pen i have seen is two strands of fencing wire surrounding the run about 1 foot from the fence first wire about 4-6" off the ground and the other 10-12" off the ground. Less than £100 all in if on mains a bit more for 12 volt battery version unless you have a laying battery around.

46 minutes ago, rimfire4969 said:

I can only imagine that the £500 would be for electric poultry netting and energiser. I would go for the must easier and cheaper solution same as on every release pen i have seen is two strands of fencing wire surrounding the run about 1 foot from the fence first wire about 4-6" off the ground and the other 10-12" off the ground. Less than £100 all in if on mains a bit more for 12 volt battery version unless you have a laying battery around.

Thanks rimfire I have passed this on so its up to them what action is taken.

Blackpowder