Another flip top

Walker570

Came across a sheet of galvanised steel sheet this week about to be thrown in the scrap. Did a quick assesment of size and realised it would just make a new hopper flip top for a new section of a wood I kill tree rats in.   Cut out the two side panels and there was just sufficient left for the front, back bottom and flip lid and I had some heavier stuff just big enough to make a lid.  Pop rivetted all together and a old piece of piano hinge and good to go.  Being a hopper version it means I can fill up and then not visit it for a couple of weeks and they get really used to it and with luck results in double figures when I do shoot it.

The first photo is during construction before painting the second painted up with top lid and side bars for strapping to a tree.

Note the holes in the front just below the lid. These are to allow small birds, woodpeckers to help themselves and also let tree rats smell the nuts. The activity of the small birds also acts as an attracting influence.  The tree rats soon learn to lift the lid.

A good piece of material saved from the scrap and put to use.  Waste not want not.

004.jpg

003.jpg

Edited by Walker570