Birdy mix seed.

JDog

This particular farmer has only just realised that he can make more per hectare from the Government (at present the EU) by growing birdy mixes rather than conventional crops. He has gone to town on it too and as I write he is part way through sowing what appears to be many hectares.

Less than 24 hours since he started sowing there are lots of tweety birds feeding on the seeds on the surface and depending on what is grown I can imagine that other larger grey and white birds will be interested in the growing crop.

Pictured are three types of seeds found in most abundance on the surface. The larger ones look like parrot food, the mid sized ones look like the buckwheat eventually identified in PC's post and the smaller seeds are I know not what.

DSC07996.JPG

The large one on the right looks a bit like sunflower seed, the others look like a mix of red and white dari and millet, bottom left as you say is buck wheat, as to it being a draw for our grey and white friends, I would think a very good possibility, lets hope any new licence allows us to shoot on stubble.

the longer this licence thingy goes on....the less likely of a sucessful outcome............im not pleased with the lack of progress

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

The large one on the right looks a bit like sunflower seed, the others look like a mix of red and white dari and millet, bottom left as you say is buck wheat, as to it being a draw for our grey and white friends, I would think a very good possibility, lets hope any new licence allows us to shoot on stubble.

14 minutes ago, ditchman said:

the longer this licence thingy goes on....the less likely of a sucessful outcome............im not pleased with the lack of progress

I don’t think anyone is happy with the mess NE as created, I notice that pest control companies are also holding back for clarification on lethal control of birds.

As you say lack of progress is frustrating but like anything to-do with government it seems to take them for ever to get things sorted.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/05/2019 at 21:34, aga man said:

Seems the local council here is growing more of these mixes now on central reservations and verges, which is great for wildlife and saves on grass cutting which is a no brainer.

Pigeons certainly seem to like them too.

If you have ever travelled through Texas, USA, in the spring and early summer,  you will have witnessed the superb colour of wild flowers growing on the roadside. The vaste majority of these are seeded by the local authority/highway groups and a joy to see.  I have been pleased this year that Leicester County Council have only trimmed about a yard of the lane edges and the visibility splays and left the wild flowers to grow and this should be nation wide.  Even nettles support numerous insects and butterflies in particular.

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

If you have ever travelled through Texas, USA, in the spring and early summer,  you will have witnessed the superb colour of wild flowers growing on the roadside. The vaste majority of these are seeded by the local authority/highway groups and a joy to see.  I have been pleased this year that Leicester County Council have only trimmed about a yard of the lane edges and the visibility splays and left the wild flowers to grow and this should be nation wide.  Even nettles support numerous insects and butterflies in particular.

Not fortunate enough to have been to the USA as yet but i agree these wild flower verges are a joy to see and support a whole spectrum of wildlife.

Certainly a way foward i think.

there is a bit of land a couple of miles from here that regular grows sunflower....not sure if it is for cover or bird seed.........never seen birds hitting it tho....i know in licolnshire where they grow the stuff...it is attacked by swarms of finches.....

On 10/06/2019 at 00:36, ditchman said:

there is a bit of land a couple of miles from here that regular grows sunflower....not sure if it is for cover or bird seed.........never seen birds hitting it tho....i know in licolnshire where they grow the stuff...it is attacked by swarms of finches.....

Strange world. I remember my grandpa saying it took it a good few years for doves to realise sunflower was the perfect seed for their trip to Africa bit since then they only eat that so much so that if a field is cut early, the would leave the area all together instead of settling for nearby cultivations.