Car tax

harrycatcat1

Driving through our local estate today and I drove past a van with a wheel clamp on and thought "bailiffs".

Drove around the corner and there was a BMW estate with a clamp on and stickers over the passenger side window and on the windscreen in the drivers vision. On the clamp it was printed DVLA. I've never seen this before so make sure your vehicles are taxed is the motto.

Do you think someone has "dobbed them in?"

Here in Bristol the council has spy vans (as well as the DVLA vans) that drive around finding "Offenders" which they then pass on to the DVLA clampers. Just lately they have been around the students accommodation area, always a rich source of untaxed and un MOTed cars and I have also seen a Lorry clamped that was used for laying brick driveways. 

56 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Driving through our local estate today and I drove past a van with a wheel clamp on and thought "bailiffs".

Drove around the corner and there was a BMW estate with a clamp on and stickers over the passenger side window and on the windscreen in the drivers vision. On the clamp it was printed DVLA. I've never seen this before so make sure your vehicles are taxed is the motto.

Do you think someone has "dobbed them in?"

dvla vans fitted with ANPR cameras doing the rounds??

DVLA have a long, long list of every vehicle in the UK that isn't taxed. Can't be hard to find the cars if they want to. I'm glad they're doing it. We all have to pay road tax and so should everyone else.

Edited by walshie

12 hours ago, walshie said:

DVLA have a long, long list of every vehicle in the UK that isn't taxed. Can't be hard to find the cars if they want to. I'm glad they're doing it. We all have to pay road tax and so should everyone else.

👍

14 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Always said that road tax should be abolished and put on to the cost of fuel then the more you use the roads the more you pay + no more road tax dodgers.

I remember years ago the government saying they were going to do this, instead they put up both.

There's a fixer in our town who'll remove a clamp with an angle grinder in about 4 minutes. DVLA had clamped a car down the lane which belonged to a local lad. That afternoon the clamp was lying in the road and the lad was handing over some cash to the fixer. He drove off smirking and reappeared next day with an old Transit instead which was also not taxed.

There must be 10s and 10s of thousands of untaxed vehicles thanks to the crazy abolition of the tax disk. The risk of being caught must be miniscule.

I got caught recently! Guilty! Stupid!

My excuses first......

My Mother-in-law is developing some form of, as yet undiagnosed, anxiety/dementia and won't drive again so gave us her car. I knew it was MOTd and insured it in our names so drove it down from Yorkshire to London, it never occurred to me it wouldn't be taxed. We couldn't find any documents. It was the only weekend I could move it and she wanted it moved.

Went out to look at it the next morning and it had a clamp on...........

I had to pay a #100 fine and 160 surety repayable if i got it taxed within 2 weeks. What a bloody nightmare , no V5 no green slip etc. etc.  but pay to get it released or it could be towed after 24hrs.

Get it released and it could be reclamped after 24hrs if it was on the road, still untaxed despite the surety.

The clamper was a private company who came across as quite dodgy, for example .co.uk address on the badly printed leaflet but it was actually a .com, the underlying sense of threat etc.

I took the risk and paid and the clamp had gone by the next afternoon

I got the tax sorted out in time but was peed off loosing a hundred quid through my own stupidity.

We used to invite them on to campus to go round the car parks it was easier when they had tax discs  i the windows  to see how many where untaxed but its unbelievable the amount they catch 

I know big companies do the same in there car parks they just cant drive round and check 

As said i pay £540 for mine the wifes £160 and if they have no tax do they have a mot ?. or insurance ?.

43 minutes ago, Dibble said:

I got caught recently! Guilty! Stupid!

My excuses first......

My Mother-in-law is developing some form of, as yet undiagnosed, anxiety/dementia and won't drive again so gave us her car. I knew it was MOTd and insured it in our names so drove it down from Yorkshire to London, it never occurred to me it wouldn't be taxed. We couldn't find any documents. It was the only weekend I could move it and she wanted it moved.

Went out to look at it the next morning and it had a clamp on...........

I had to pay a #100 fine and 160 surety repayable if i got it taxed within 2 weeks. What a bloody nightmare , no V5 no green slip etc. etc.  but pay to get it released or it could be towed after 24hrs.

Get it released and it could be reclamped after 24hrs if it was on the road, still untaxed despite the surety.

The clamper was a private company who came across as quite dodgy, for example .co.uk address on the badly printed leaflet but it was actually a .com, the underlying sense of threat etc.

I took the risk and paid and the clamp had gone by the next afternoon

I got the tax sorted out in time but was peed off loosing a hundred quid through my own stupidity.

Vehicle TAX is no longer transferable anyway, as soon as the vehicle has a change of owner, it needs to be taxed by the new owner.

Edited by Newbie to this

12 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Vehicle TAX is no longer transferable anyway, as soon as the vehicle has a change of owner, it needs to be taxed by the new owner.

Which if you don't have the New Keeper slip from the V5c you won't manage to tax it! and if you get it on the Saturday before a bank holiday you can't go down the Post Office.

I can't remember all the rules but in the rare set of circumstances I had I was Stuffed.

14 minutes ago, Dibble said:

Which if you don't have the New Keeper slip from the V5c you won't manage to tax it! and if you get it on the Saturday before a bank holiday you can't go down the Post Office.

I can't remember all the rules but in the rare set of circumstances I had I was Stuffed.

Certainly sounds that way.

6 hours ago, figgy said:

Did you explain this set of circumstances to the DVLA dibble? 

I've found on occasion they can be reasonable when you explain problems. 

It was on the Sunday before a Bank Holiday and with the threat that they could tow it after 24hrs and add those costs to the 100 pound fine I paid, got the clamp removed and put the car in the neighbours garage to avoid repeated fines. One of the many problems of living in London is you tend not to have off street parking.

DVLA were letting me exhaust the possibilities before committing themselves when a final search by my my Mother-in-laws home help turned up the V5c.

I was tempted to glue the lock on the clamp but those days are long gone.........and I was in the wrong.