Security camera options

Sidelever

My smallholder permission has just been burgled mid afternoon.All items were locked and chained inside a locked store and not on view.Mig welder,2 motorbikes,and other tools taken.

The smallholder now is looking at security camera options.There is a varied and somewhat confusing song choice out there.It needs to have 30-40 metre range and possibly set up with a phone link.Maybe add on extra cameras at a later date.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Sidelever

I’ve got a Hikvision kit from https://www.cctvkits.co.uk and I can’t fault it. Fairly easy to setup, chose a large hard drive which gives me about three weeks recording with 4 HD cameras. I have an app on my phone so that from anywhere in the world I can see a live stream from each camera.

The cameras I bought all have night vision which isn’t bad, not sure you would be able to use them in court to identify a burglar unless they were up close but in daytime mode you would. It’s more about spotting something wrong and being able to act on it. On that note you can configure triggers that send emails when the camera picks something up but I have the basic cameras and this functionality is basic (and rubbish). Essentially you draw an area in the camera’s field of vision which you want to trigger an alarm if someone walks into it. The more expensive cameras intelligently detect movement and trigger the alarm whereas mine simply look for a change in the pixels. After half an hour setting up trigger areas I found I was inundated with trigger emails because the sun was in and out of clouds and the shadows were being interpreted as pixel changes and thus an intruder. I mention it because if this is important for you please get the more expensive cameras or a PIR sensor to add to the system.

Anyway, very happy with the Hikvision kit, good admin interface, easy setup, good quality recording, remote viewing and fairly cheap, think I paid about £300 all in including four cameras.

Have a look at Arlo

cameras are rechargeable 

magnetic mount

totally wireless ........needs internet connection but you can do this with a giffgaff card and suitable router for about an additional £70

just put system in to watch my mates remote barn....local kids are setting fire to stuff.

my son put same system in at work as he has had 4 attempted breaking in the past 8 weeks (3 of them using his land as access to,scrapers next door)

how good is it?....well the 5 scrotes that tried ( and failed ) 2 weeks ago have had their court date set on Thursday !

Unless they are very high quality recordings plod won't do a thing. The criminals just say wasn't me and the police can't prove it was.

Ok if your smallholder recognises them and goes and get his stuff back. Gives them a dammed good talking too so they don't come back.

There are trail cams on the bay for around £90 which will email photo and video to 4 numbers and 4 email addresses via the cellular network (3g). The 3 network on its 123 plan only needs topping up when the credit is used and has no time restraints as far as I am aware so perhaps that may be a good choice of sim.

Edited by sportsbob