RIP JESS

hodge911

well its finally happened I found out how much of a upset it is loosing my best friend/shooting partner . for the last 11.5 years she has never waivered from the moment the person I bought her from opened the kennel run door she has been by my side and wouldn't leave it .

she was the easiest dog I have ever trained and learned everything I wanted from her only took a couple of attempts and it registered with her [it only took 2 days to house train her ] and in the years I had her she never faultered  ….. 

but she was way more than s hooting companion she was a big part of mine and my mrs lives .

my wife suffers from quite bad epilepsy and during a fit jess would climb up on the sofa next to my mrs and sit gently placing a paw or three on my wifes arm until she came out of her fit and if I was not in the room when this happened would howl until I came in to see them ….an unbelievable animal .

so it is with watering eyes and running nose that I am writing this .

on Friday night we were having our usual toy throwing session in the garden came indoors went into kitchen to wash hands followed closely by her so she could sit and stare at her treat tin after washing hands and telling her it was too early for her nightly treat we turned and walked into the sitting room when all of a sudden she slowed up lowered her head . I thought she was going to be sick but she just collapsed to the floor and was not responding to my prompts to get up . I instantly knew something serious was wrong as I could see her deteriorating before my eyes .

phoned the emergency vet who said take her straight in so from collapsing to going through vets door 20 mins later she was sliding away .

the vet took her straight into his room and put her on oxygen and i.v fluids [or something like that all a bit of a blur really]  and an hour later came to say she was sorry but there was nothing she could do and jess had passed .

so what happened ?

she told us that they had scanned her abdomen took bloods ect and without opening her up to get 100% diagnosis her opinion was going by what they seen on the scan was some sort of growth on her spleen had ruptured filling her abdomen with blood .

I did not want her opening up to prove as all that registered was those horrible words " I am so sorry but " so all I now know is this house is a much less fun place to be at the moment as for the last 2 mornings when I open the door from the stairs to the sitting room my little companion is not there toy in mouth tail going like mad wanting me to let her out into the garden 

IMG_20180414_094500.jpg

I feel for you and know exactly what you’re going through. It’s amazing how we grow attatched. It’ll be three years this August since my Border died and I still miss her. She was bought for my daughter really, but soon became my constant companion. 

We cried like babies when she died, and the only consolation was the joy she brought into our lives and that she led a full and exciting life, doing exactly what a Border would want to do. 

I’m sure yours did too, and that’s what you have to comfort yourself with. Chin up. 

Know exactly how you feel , when we lost meg  some 5 years ago i came down every morning and opened the back door to let her out ,but she wasnt there  , we said we wouldnt get another dog ,but 2 years later the house felt empty without one so we looked and got marnie the teckel 

ive never looked back ,she is brilliant 

give yourself a bit of time and space , you never know

Sorry to hear your sad news matey! My dad lost his cat last week and it totally destroyed him. So much more than just a cat. It’s a friendly face, it’s company, although it can’t answer in a normal way he could chat. All we can do is try and focus on the good time we had in their short lives, and try to use this to fill the painful void that is left when they pass. Again, so sorry! 

Edited by Lord Geordie

Always a shame, Great memories to relive when ever your out. Hopefully you can get a new partner to share times with. 

I've lost a two good dogs over the years that I still would own in a heart beat several terriers that never made the grade that I spent hard work and time on. I honestly try not to get attached to them anymore, too much heart ache. My lurcher is 6 and I think she will be the last working companion 

So sorry to read this, I know exactly how you feel, I lost a German shepherd 2 years ago to the same thing in very similar circumstances, I know its early days but you'll find another partner who can never replace but you will love equally, dogs find a way in to your heart like nothing else, they truly are man's best friend. 

Sorry for your loss, I think I maybe close to losing BETH,my Springer spaniel, 16 wonderful years, I've har her, I think her back legs are going, crying as I am typing this,never heard of this before ,anyone know of this being usual  among Springer's, 

Sorry to read about your loss But you will have so many happy memories and times together that is what will help ! Our Ridgeback died and it’s hard to deal with but that hole in your heart will always be there. Remember the good happy times you shared! They are called mans best friend for a reason. 

I am so sorry to hear your sad news. My Jack Russell 'Cas' was into her 17th year when I had to make the terrible decision to end her suffering. She was everything to me, and more so when I lost my 14 year old son. I would be sitting alone in my home, deep in thought about my son, and she would wander into the room with one of her toys and drop it by my feet with eager anticipation of me throwing it for her to fetch. It was terrible taking her to the Vet's and signing the form ( it felt like a death warrant) to allow the Vet to end her suffering. That was nearly 6 years ago, and there's not a day when my wife and I don't mention her. I have photo's of her in my living room and a fantastic Pyrography 'drawing' that my very good friend, Mel b 3's wife Lin (also a very good friend) did for me.

Like my wife and I, you will feel sad and 'down' at times, but then smile when you recall the many things she did to make you laugh.

Thanks for all the kind words peeps 

Yea its still raw and hurtful and probably will be for a while yet .

I never thought I'd get so upset over " a dog" but then again she was way way more than just a dog .

I think because it was so so unexpected it hurt more than if she'd been I'll and under a vets supervision and what more so she had her booster and annual health check in march .

But I understand that this problem would not be detected without a scan so I apportion no blame to that vet ....

Got a 13 yo Springer here very much on her last legs - she collapsed this very morning and we had to carry her near half a mile to the car, after a good rest she has perked up but I fear the inevitable looming. Really feel for your loss - if you find a way of avoiding becoming a blubbering wreck please let me know, in the meantime my thoughts are with you.

13 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Got a 13 yo Springer here very much on her last legs - she collapsed this very morning and we had to carry her near half a mile to the car, after a good rest she has perked up but I fear the inevitable looming. Really feel for your loss - if you find a way of avoiding becoming a blubbering wreck please let me know, in the meantime my thoughts are with you.

Sorry mate no ideas on holding back the tears yet .

I must be getting soft in my old age tho it takes the slightest thing about her to tear up (not good for my 17.5 stone 6ft Geordie image 😱😭😭)

So sorry for your loss. It never gets easy to say goodbye.

We have lost two dogs to this. Sasha our GSD at 10 had liver cancer. She just went downhill quickly and we had to have her pts within a week of her looking ill. Rollo our Border Jack cross was only 8 years old when he suddenly became ill. He had cancer of the spleen which had ruptured. He made it to the vets, but didn't come home.

That is exactly how I lost my lab last summer, you have my every sympathy. I still miss the old boy, but you do remember all the good times. Like Hodge911 I still get a bit emotional even now. It sounds like you had a great bond, so just think how happy you made Jess.

I take some comfort from the fact that my boy went down very quickly and we didn't have to watch him deteriorate over a long period. It's been nearly a year and I miss him terribly but the puppy arriving on Friday will help make new memories.

Sorry for your loss, don't be ashamed to cry and don't feel guilty if you want to get another dog - they leave a huge void...