RIP JESS

hodge911

10 hours ago, hodge911 said:

well its finally happened I found out how much of a upset it is loosing my best friend/shooting partner . for the last 11.5 years she has never waivered from the moment the person I bought her from opened the kennel run door she has been by my side and wouldn't leave it .

she was the easiest dog I have ever trained and learned everything I wanted from her only took a couple of attempts and it registered with her [it only took 2 days to house train her ] and in the years I had her she never faultered  ….. 

but she was way more than s hooting companion she was a big part of mine and my mrs lives .

my wife suffers from quite bad epilepsy and during a fit jess would climb up on the sofa next to my mrs and sit gently placing a paw or three on my wifes arm until she came out of her fit and if I was not in the room when this happened would howl until I came in to see them ….an unbelievable animal .

so it is with watering eyes and running nose that I am writing this .

on Friday night we were having our usual toy throwing session in the garden came indoors went into kitchen to wash hands followed closely by her so she could sit and stare at her treat tin after washing hands and telling her it was too early for her nightly treat we turned and walked into the sitting room when all of a sudden she slowed up lowered her head . I thought she was going to be sick but she just collapsed to the floor and was not responding to my prompts to get up . I instantly knew something serious was wrong as I could see her deteriorating before my eyes .

phoned the emergency vet who said take her straight in so from collapsing to going through vets door 20 mins later she was sliding away .

the vet took her straight into his room and put her on oxygen and i.v fluids [or something like that all a bit of a blur really]  and an hour later came to say she was sorry but there was nothing she could do and jess had passed .

so what happened ?

she told us that they had scanned her abdomen took bloods ect and without opening her up to get 100% diagnosis her opinion was going by what they seen on the scan was some sort of growth on her spleen had ruptured filling her abdomen with blood .

I did not want her opening up to prove as all that registered was those horrible words " I am so sorry but " so all I now know is this house is a much less fun place to be at the moment as for the last 2 mornings when I open the door from the stairs to the sitting room my little companion is not there toy in mouth tail going like mad wanting me to let her out into the garden 

IMG_20180414_094500.jpg

your own words spell it out .. she had a great life !

Feel your pain mate. Had Springers in the family for forty years now, you would think after that time you would get used to losing them, but you dont !

No consolation at a time like this, but at least she didnt suffer and their memory never fades.

Anyone who have owned dogs would know exactly how you are feeling at the moment , over the years I have bought a puppy when the old one reach double figures and although I have been a broken wreck for a few days when that dreaded day arrives and your faithful friend is no longer here we have to pick up the pieces and carry on .

If I was you I would seriously think about having another puppy . GOOD LUCK.

Very sorry for your loss.

We lost our black lab the same way two weeks ago.

He seemed absolutely fine for a ten year old dog, then on May 2nd he got out of the car, at Beverley in East Yorkshire, his head went down and didn’t want to move. Had to lift him back into the car to take him to the local vets. They kept him overnight and did some tests, said he had some fluid around his heart, in his abdomen and had a growth on his spleen which they believed had been bleeding.

We returned to the vets on the Friday, Deefa seemed a lot brighter. Vet said bleeding had appeared to have stopped so we could take him home to Louth so our vet could take over.

He spent the night in our bedroom, but the next morning he was very poorly again, so I made the dreaded call for the vet to come out to do the ‘kind thing’.

He died at home, in our arms on May 4th at 12:49pm in his favourite spot in front of the log burner.

The vet said he had been bleeding internally again and that we were doing the right thing. It still doesn’t make it any easier, but at least he got to go at home in the spot that he chose to be.

The weird thing was, when the vet and nurse arrived, he jumped up wagging his tail to greet them, as he did with all visitors.

The vet got out the equipment, which he sniffed. She then suggested that we sit him on a towel, as sometimes they can leak a bit of urine afterwards. With that, Deefa got up and left the room. We thought that he knew what was about to happen and was running away. However, my wife followed him and he had gone to the front door. She let him out and he went outside and did a really long wee.

He then came back in to his chosen spot and sat with us for the final time.

It was just like he had understood what the vet had said and did not want to leave us with a mess to clean up.

He really was the best dog you could wish for and we miss him terribly, so we know exactly what you are going through.

We just have to be thankful that, though it is so painful to say goodbye, at least we have had the enormous pleasure of them in our lives.

5 hours ago, moondoggy said:

He seemed absolutely fine for a ten year old dog, then on May 2nd he got out of the car, at Beverley in East Yorkshire, his head went down and didn’t want to move. Had to lift him back into the car to take him to the local vets. They kept him overnight and did some tests, said he had some fluid around his heart, in his abdomen and had a growth on his spleen which they believed had been bleeding.

We returned to the vets on the Friday, Deefa seemed a lot brighter. Vet said bleeding had appeared to have stopped so we could take him home to Louth so our vet could take over.

He spent the night in our bedroom, but the next morning he was very poorly again, so I made the dreaded call for the vet to come out to do the ‘kind thing’.

He died at home, in our arms on May 4th at 12:49pm in his favourite spot in front of the log burner.

The vet said he had been bleeding internally again and that we were doing the right thing. It still doesn’t make it any easier, but at least he got to go at home in the spot that he chose to be.

The weird thing was, when the vet and nurse arrived, he jumped up wagging his tail to greet them, as he did with all visitors.

The vet got out the equipment, which he sniffed. She then suggested that we sit him on a towel, as sometimes they can leak a bit of urine afterwards. With that, Deefa got up and left the room. We thought that he knew what was about to happen and was running away. However, my wife followed him and he had gone to the front door. She let him out and he went outside and did a really long wee.

It was just like he had understood what the vet had said and did not want to leave us with a mess to clean up.

He really was the best dog you could wish for and we miss him terribly, so we know exactly what you are going through.

We just have to be thankful that, though it is so painful to say goodbye, at least we have had the enormous pleasure of them in our lives.

As I mentioned in my last post, 'The Last Battle' poem is good to read.

7 hours ago, moondoggy said:

Excellent post :good:

Well im taken aback with all the comments and descriptions of people in the same boat as me at this time of losing what was a family member rather than " JUST A DOG" as someone said (not on here) .

I think because jess was kept indoors from the day I got her and not kenneled that there was a stronger bond between us and jess definitely attached herself more to me than the mrs .

When my 4yr old grandson come to visit jess would make sure she was up on the sofa pushing her head in between us to make sure she wasn't left out in any way .

I have yet to TRY and explain to him where she's gone as she & him also clicked and she would lye with him resting his head on her for as long as he wanted .....

I'm having her cremated and getting her ashes back to spread some in her favourite  place in the garden and some up on the estate where I drive the game cart during the season and allowed to shoot on as well as that's where we spent nearly all our hunting outings .... the rest will be in a beech casket with her name & kept in my gun room ....

Moodoggy - so sorry to hear of your loss. Reading your post has stopped me in my tracks today and don't mind admitting to having a couple of wet eyes. Reminds me of losing our cocker a few years back - no doubt about it - these animals are so much more than just pets. True friends, an integral part of the family. I vowed to never get another dog. But then again I have made the same vow on your previous occasions and lo and behold I have sat at my feet right now, Eric the golden retriever. My new best mate.

Hi Westonsalop, so happy that you have a new best friend.

I love Golden Retrievers. I always wanted one, but we plumped for the Labrador, so happy we did.

I have a book about Golden Retrievers by Lyn Anderson in as new condition.

If you would like it, you are very welcome to it, just pm me your name and address and I will pop it in the post for you.

Cheers, Paul

2 hours ago, moondoggy said:

Hi Westonsalop, so happy that you have a new best friend.

I love Golden Retrievers. I always wanted one, but we plumped for the Labrador, so happy we did.

I have a book about Golden Retrievers by Lyn Anderson in as new condition.

If you would like it, you are very welcome to it, just pm me your name and address and I will pop it in the post for you.

Cheers, Paul

PM sent - thanks again Paul.

On 19/05/2019 at 09:38, hodge911 said:

well its finally happened I found out how much of a upset it is loosing my best friend/shooting partner . for the last 11.5 years she has never waivered from the moment the person I bought her from opened the kennel run door she has been by my side and wouldn't leave it .

she was the easiest dog I have ever trained and learned everything I wanted from her only took a couple of attempts and it registered with her [it only took 2 days to house train her ] and in the years I had her she never faultered  ….. 

but she was way more than s hooting companion she was a big part of mine and my mrs lives .

my wife suffers from quite bad epilepsy and during a fit jess would climb up on the sofa next to my mrs and sit gently placing a paw or three on my wifes arm until she came out of her fit and if I was not in the room when this happened would howl until I came in to see them ….an unbelievable animal .

so it is with watering eyes and running nose that I am writing this .

on Friday night we were having our usual toy throwing session in the garden came indoors went into kitchen to wash hands followed closely by her so she could sit and stare at her treat tin after washing hands and telling her it was too early for her nightly treat we turned and walked into the sitting room when all of a sudden she slowed up lowered her head . I thought she was going to be sick but she just collapsed to the floor and was not responding to my prompts to get up . I instantly knew something serious was wrong as I could see her deteriorating before my eyes .

phoned the emergency vet who said take her straight in so from collapsing to going through vets door 20 mins later she was sliding away .

the vet took her straight into his room and put her on oxygen and i.v fluids [or something like that all a bit of a blur really]  and an hour later came to say she was sorry but there was nothing she could do and jess had passed .

so what happened ?

she told us that they had scanned her abdomen took bloods ect and without opening her up to get 100% diagnosis her opinion was going by what they seen on the scan was some sort of growth on her spleen had ruptured filling her abdomen with blood .

I did not want her opening up to prove as all that registered was those horrible words " I am so sorry but " so all I now know is this house is a much less fun place to be at the moment as for the last 2 mornings when I open the door from the stairs to the sitting room my little companion is not there toy in mouth tail going like mad wanting me to let her out into the garden 

IMG_20180414_094500.jpg

Commiserations,my friend. I know how you feel, lost my black lab 6 months ago, she was the same age.......my wife and I miss her, and so does her constant companion, my black cocker bitch. She,s the same age, and if something happens to her, it will be the end of dog owning after 55 years.  If the years are on your side, get a puppy, I know that it will not completely replace your old dog, but it will help fill the gap..... Good luck

On 20/05/2019 at 16:20, steve_b_wales said:

As I mentioned in my last post, 'The Last Battle' poem is good to read.

Eventually built up the courage to read it didn't get past the first couple of lines before the eyes filled up (what a wuss I'm turning into)

W

I have had dogs as far back as I can remember I now keep Labs and Jack Russels my labs normally have about 4 years between them so I tend to lose one about every 4 years and it never gets any easier.I now have one 8 years old one 4 years old that is due a litter in 2 weeks time and I will be keeping a pup out of her.She is getting as far as a pig.And I would never be without a Jack or two.The circle of life goes on.I know how you feel Hodge so you have my deepest condolences mate.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words they are much appreciated.....

I think with her being a house dog from day one had made the bond a lot stronger and as I've said before she was definitely MY dog and preferred my company over the wife's and always pushed her way in between us if my mrs sat next to me .....

Even down to a couple of times when the wife was standing and I put my arms around her waist from behind to give her a cuddle jess would bark at us 😁 and have us chuckling to ourselves with her jealousy

2 minutes ago, Dekers said:

Always sad, they really are mans best friend!

Oh yes !

I burbled like a 10yr old when the vet came into the room to tell us there was nothing could be done as if they operated she was that poorly she wouldn't survive it