Beretta A390

manthing

1 hour ago, manthing said:

How do I tell the age and anything to look out for. 

Like all guns, its not when it was made, but how well its been looked after and how many cartridges have been put through it over the years. If possible put 8 or 10 cartridges through it before parting with your hard earned to check functioning. Beretta`s tend to be pretty reliable but things do wear out. I have a AL390 that is dead reliable but as a matter of preventative maintainance I decided to replace the recoil spring (housed in the butt tube). I obtained two for cheap as chips money from Beretta`s on line e-store. The carriage was twice as much as the spring, so seemed sensible to buy 2. When checking the length of the new to the old, the later was was approx 1.5in, shorter.

Most parts readily available if anything goes wrong, but make sure the woodwork is free from cracks / splits.

Edited by JJsDad

3 hours ago, GingerCat said:

I've had one of these for years and its been faultless. Lovely guns. Cycles pretty much whatever Ive put in it. 

What have you put through it? 

I can put all sorts in my autos but they just won't cycle it,  pens pencils donuts biscuits cuddly toys the lot it won't cycle ,amazing what you can fit in them though.

Now cartridges of the correct guage and length 70mm not 65mm and enough powder and or weight to cycle the action is the key reliable cycling of the action.

Sorry Ginger Cat I couldn't resist 😉

Edited by figgy

1 hour ago, GingerCat said:

Fair enough. I've found anything over 65mm and 21g works fine. Occasional (twice in 10 years) had the second cart fail to fully extract but these were 34g and 70mm. The odd wipe with an oily rag does wonders. 

I had the 303 some years back but replaced it with a 391 shortly after they came out, the 303 liked a tad more umph, but the 391 is as you say, 65mm 21g and its fine.

Keep them clean and well, but GENTLY oiled, to much oil can make them sticky and fussy!

:good:

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to lay hands on the gun today. Puy about 10 through it and it worked fine and I was no more or less accurate with it than the ou. But I've decided not to bother with this one, just a bit too bashed about for my liking. I was going to offer a bit less than the seller was asking but I'd rather wait. No rush. 

The felt recoil was deffo better now I think back so I'm going to have something semi auto. 

Thatnks for the help. 👍