Starting the wife

You could get her to try a .410 but the chances of hitting stuff are reduced.

My missus has a junior 20b and we put 21g carts through it. She's got a sensitive shoulder but can manage 20 shots before she's had enough.

Good technique also helps - proper gun mount etc.

22 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Moaning even before she tries it!  leave her at home! Lol!

Like ye style

7 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

12 gauge with 21 grm loads or a nice ou .410 and keep the ranges shortish 

Does using  65mm over 70mm also reduce the recoil 

Sorry, have to agree with the Instructor route. I have witnessed so many ladies and youngsters hurt by their initial introduction to shooting and it WILL put them off for good, on the other hand................................................🤔 

37 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Promised the wife when I got my ticket I would take her clay shooting but she is scared it will hurt her shoulder so how do I reduce the recoil for her with out reducing ( too much) the chance of her hitting something

hello, what shotgun will your wife be using ? 

Its generally the weight in the cart that makes a difference .not so much the cart length .though i suppose you can get more lead in a 70mm than a 65 

What u dont want to do is choose a light weight gun and put a heavy load through it .it will hurt . (Unless its a gas operated semi auto .) These reduce recoil considerably .

So maybe a 20b sa. With 21 grm load would be good or a 12b ou with 21 grm load .

But a light weight 20b ou with a 32 grm will knock her teeth  out .

I once shot a single barrel 12b break barrel with a 50 grm load .thought id been hit by a truck .

Edited by Ultrastu

33 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, what shotgun will your wife be using ? 

My 12b ata sp sporter so It as a bit of meat to it 

31 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Its generally the weight in the cart that makes a difference .not so much the cart length .though i suppose you can get more lead in a 70mm than a 65 

What u dont want to do is choose a light weight gun and put a heavy load through it .it will hurt . (Unless its a gas operated semi auto .) These reduce recoil considerably .

So maybe a 20b sa. With 21 grm load would be good or a 12b ou with 21 grm load .

But a light weight 20b ou with a 32 grm will knock her teeth  out .

I once shot a single barrel 12b break barrel with a 50 grm load .thought id been hit by a truck .

I thought the weight of shot was the same in 28g 65mm or a 75mm but  more powder so more velocity so more recoil  I’ll buy some 21g for her can you buy cart half a dozen at a time😉

Edited by Jacko3275

1 hour ago, Jacko3275 said:

Promised the wife when I got my ticket I would take her clay shooting but she is scared it will hurt her shoulder so how do I reduce the recoil for her with out reducing ( too much) the chance of her hitting something

i thouht that, wife went and never held a gun and smashed the heel out off them

1 hour ago, Jacko3275 said:

I thought the weight of shot was the same in 28g 65mm or a 75mm but  more powder so more velocity so more recoil  I’ll buy some 21g for her can you buy cart half a dozen at a time😉

hello, that would be to heavy i would think, i can only suggest a few lessons and see if they have a 20 bore O/U 

Got to go the instructor route for several reasons.

1. It’s not worth the grief she will give, hit or miss

2. Missing will be your fault not hers

3. She won’t argue with an instructor

4. He will have a suitable gun

i was shooting a simulated game day on Saturday and with us was a ten year old who shot brilliantly using a 28 bore with 14 gam loads and no problem. 

Good luck

4 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

a slow going away target or incoming target  a 21g loads  or training loads are available  also sub sonics  local gun shop or clay ground should be able to help , gun may be too heavy to handle depending on her stature,  then smaller calibers again clay ground can help or any one with a lighter / smaller caliber will be more than happy to help. 

18 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

I'd say take her and possibly (depends on how much you've done) yourself for a lesson at a decent ground that has a selection of guns an a knowledgeable instructor. 

That way if she's not keen you'll both know it wasn't your fault, but 100% you'll still get the blame... 😂😉

17 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

My daughter has been shooting my 12 g Rem 1100 for about 3 years, she is quite slight of build, we use my standard 28g carts.
She doesnt really have a problem with recoil, its the weight of the gun and LOP she doesnt like, but its not really worth buying her own gun, as she just doesnt shoot enough.

Depending on your wifes err..size, the ATA might be a bit too heavy (they are heavier than an 1100) and the LOP could be too long.
Get at least one lesson for her, with a gun that fits, or she will hate it and not want to continue.

19 hours ago, hedge said:

You could get her to try a .410 but the chances of hitting stuff are reduced.

My missus has a junior 20b and we put 21g carts through it. She's got a sensitive shoulder but can manage 20 shots before she's had enough.

Good technique also helps - proper gun mount etc.

I would never tend to start a new shooter or a youngster for that matter on a 410 but with multi chokes now available and small shot, against the tight choked old 410s of the past with 5shot then I think you could let her have a few easy peasy straight away targets, using an O/U 410 with open chokes fitted.

Whatever the MOST important thing is that the shotgun must fit her, right length stock a priority. Howmany times have we senn women and youngsters striving to hold a ill fitting shotgun and rifle for that matter.  The next most important thing is to make the targets easy peasy so she gets to break them straight off. IF he takes to it beware she will no doubt shoot the backside off you as all the women I have shown how to shoot, flyfish, rifle shoot have become extremely good at it.

Another vote for using a good instructor. I am going through a similar situation with my wife who is of slight build and isn't the rough and tumble type. She has done archery for years but fancied a go on the clays, so I got her on a ladies day for a present and she got the bug so we progressed to one to one tuition with an instructor. She has been taught to mount and hold properly which makes a big difference. 

She started with using the instructors 12b with 21g carts, but she struggled with holding the gun up for an extended period of time, so I got a lighter 20b that was much more comfortable for her to hold up. Still using 21g carts, and the difference in recoil is virtually non existent despite the gun being a good 1lb lighter. She also uses a shoulder pad (purchased from ebay for £7) and is now progressing well. Also gives me an excuse to go off and have a practice myself while she is having her lessons! 

21 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

Is it the ally action , the wife has that gun , and we all shoot  Hull Comp x 28 grams , no recoil . The also do a 24 and 21 gram , i belive .i think the problem you may have is The 

" LOP" of the stock , unless it feels right for her , i cut my wifes down to 13 and half to fit her .

54 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Is it the ally action , the wife has that gun , and we all shoot  Hull Comp x 28 grams , no recoil . The also do a 24 and 21 gram , i belive .i think the problem you may have is The 

" LOP" of the stock , unless it feels right for her , i cut my wifes down to 13 and half to fit her .

Mines the heavier action and I’ve only just bought the gun for my self I ain’t chopping it down to suit the wife  ... looks like it’s gonna be tutor or low weight carts or just pressing button when I call pull

Edited by Jacko3275

9 hours ago, Country_est said:

One other thought on this that my wife had issues with..... Bra straps. Make sure she wears a bra with the buckles at the back and not the front, it does make a difference.

I prefer them to wear no bra when Im instructing. 🙄

Shooting has always been a big part of my wife’s and I relationship.  We were dirt poor and I always wanted a gun safe but couldn’t afford one. We barely had money to buy 22 ammo on the weekends.  When she graduated and got her first job she bought me one.  It was a cheap one but I still have it because she bought it for me.  Congratulations on finding a life partner that is willing to share a hobby with you. 

ulryH7X.jpg

PHm0XVl.jpg

Edited by NoBodyImportant