Starting the wife

That’s a cheap one  that’s nearly as big as my house 

35 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Shooting has always been a big part of my wife’s and I relationship.  We were dirt poor and I always wanted a gun safe but couldn’t afford one. We barely had money to buy 22 ammo on the weekends.  When she graduated and got her first job she bought me one.  It was a cheap one but I still have it because she bought it for me.  Congratulations on finding a life partner that is willing to share a hobby with you. 

ulryH7X.jpg

PHm0XVl.jpg

On 20/05/2019 at 19:10, Jacko3275 said:

Promised the wife when I got my ticket I would take her clay shooting but she is scared it will hurt her shoulder so how do I reduce the recoil for her with out reducing ( too much) the chance of her hitting something

Good for you!

Use 21g cartridges, Hull CompX 21g if you want to spoil her. 

It might be worth getting her a wearable recoil pad if your gun doesn't have a good one fitted. Lots of women swear by them, especially game shooters with their big loads and titchy 20 bores. A comb raiser might be helpful too.

Also the ground might be able to loan you a student gun. Sometimes those are easier to use especially if you are very differently shaped. If you know a woman who shoots lots are willing to lend a gun to a friend to spread the love of the sport.

I'm all in favour of people going to a proper coach first but it doesn't stop people being put off. My favourite have-a-go- coach was an absolute hit with everyone but managed to put off my niece within five shots. I suspect he simply wasn't careful enough with her as she's a tall lass and no gun was going to fit her straight off the peg. Another twonk at High Lodge left my friend with a shoulder that still isn't right. I was there, I didn't see anything untoward but it was a 20G with 24g or 28g cartridges and no recoil pad. 

It's National Ladies Shooting Day on 8th June. Bookings close this week, but if there's a ground near you with a space it's a good fun day in a great atmosphere.

7 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I prefer them to wear no bra when Im instructing. 🙄

Do post your business address and I'll make sure all the ladies know. 

22 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

Mines the heavier action and I’ve only just bought the gun for my self I ain’t chopping it down to suit the wife  ... looks like it’s gonna be tutor or low weight carts or just pressing button when I call pull

For Crissakes don't give her a 20G. From my polling roughly a third of women guns shoot them, but beginners are always being palmed off with a 20G by grounds because "It's for the ladies". Really? If it's for the ladies why the hell hasn't it got a higher comb, a decent recoil pad and a more neutral pitch? Because it's not actually "For the ladies", you can just fool a beginner into thinking that it's "easier" to use an ill-fitting 20G than an ill-fitting 12G. The girls who go for coached rounds four or five times nearly always start to prefer the 12G. 

Where are you? If it's anywhere near me I'll meet up with you and she can use one of my guns.

21 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

For Crissakes don't give her a 20G. From my polling roughly a third of women guns shoot them, but beginners are always being palmed off with a 20G by grounds because "It's for the ladies". Really? If it's for the ladies why the hell hasn't it got a higher comb, a decent recoil pad and a more neutral pitch? Because it's not actually "For the ladies", you can just fool a beginner into thinking that it's "easier" to use an ill-fitting 20G than an ill-fitting 12G. The girls who go for coached rounds four or five times nearly always start to prefer the 12G. 

Where are you? If it's anywhere near me I'll meet up with you and she can use one of my guns.

And breath again, glad you've got that off your chest?

I do like an angry Lady!

1 hour ago, ehb102 said:

Good for you!

Use 21g cartridges, Hull CompX 21g if you want to spoil her. 

It might be worth getting her a wearable recoil pad if your gun doesn't have a good one fitted. Lots of women swear by them, especially game shooters with their big loads and titchy 20 bores. A comb raiser might be helpful too.

Also the ground might be able to loan you a student gun. Sometimes those are easier to use especially if you are very differently shaped. If you know a woman who shoots lots are willing to lend a gun to a friend to spread the love of the sport.

I'm all in favour of people going to a proper coach first but it doesn't stop people being put off. My favourite have-a-go- coach was an absolute hit with everyone but managed to put off my niece within five shots. I suspect he simply wasn't careful enough with her as she's a tall lass and no gun was going to fit her straight off the peg. Another twonk at High Lodge left my friend with a shoulder that still isn't right. I was there, I didn't see anything untoward but it was a 20G with 24g or 28g cartridges and no recoil pad. 

It's National Ladies Shooting Day on 8th June. Bookings close this week, but if there's a ground near you with a space it's a good fun day in a great atmosphere.

Cheers for offer and advice but I'm up in Yorkshire  

Got my Mrs a Kofs Sceptre SXE junior 20g in January. She had 1 lesson and now comes out every time with me and has just got her ticket through. She started off on 21g loads then moved to 24g with cyl&cyl from the off and has now moved onto skeet &skeet. She loves shooting even if she has a bad day and I’m in the process of ordering her a 525 micro for her birthday. The kofs is very light and a great size but I’m unsure of the longevity of it as its showing signs of wear after about 2.5k carts. I think if used a few times a month it wouldn’t last more than a couple of years but it was incredibly cheap. Great starter gun imo.

Hope that helps.

11 minutes ago, Taileron said:

Got my Mrs a Kofs Sceptre SXE junior 20g in January. She had 1 lesson and now comes out every time with me and has just got her ticket through. She started off on 21g loads then moved to 24g with cyl&cyl from the off and has now moved onto skeet &skeet. She loves shooting even if she has a bad day and I’m in the process of ordering her a 525 micro for her birthday. The kofs is very light and a great size but I’m unsure of the longevity of it as its showing signs of wear after about 2.5k carts. I think if used a few times a month it wouldn’t last more than a couple of years but it was incredibly cheap. Great starter gun imo.

Hope that helps.

hello, the Koff should last for many years, check out warranty

11 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

Going there Saturday  so I’ll see if I can book her in if she’s not working she is a wedding florist so works most saturdays through the summer

My mrs has had a couple of lessons at park lodge with a chap called Jan Kroll. Really good instructor and would recommend him. Just a heads up the prices have gone up slightly than what’s advertised on the website. 

Admittedly my missus is quite tall for a lady, 5ft 9ish in old money, but she started out with the instructors Beretta A400 and Hull Compx 21g, and subsequently tried various different bang sticks.  When she got her ticket, she bought a Bettinsoli.  So, always in 12 bore, and never had ‘recoil’ issues.  I think modern loads, combined with good instruction means this isn’t the issue it once was.

The biggest problem she’s had is the relatively low comb of the guns and the point of balance of her ‘soli.  I’ve temporarily fixed the former with a ‘stock sock’ and some foam padding.  The latter makes it holding the gun for long periods difficult but not impossible…this isn’t really a problem at a clay ground, but I guess it depends on the course, and how many clays.

At the recent Ian Coley open day she was able to try some of the ‘lady guns’ that manufacturers are now starting to produce.  The Beretta and Caeser Guerinis (precise model name escape me) all seemed to fix the comb issue and the balance point,  but we are talking £2k+ guns here and she’s not into spending that amount, so will persevere with her £450 ‘soli+stock-sock  The ladies version of the Browning 525 also seemed a marked improvement, but she was only able to shoulder it.

Incidentally, she has had a go with my 28” ATA SP and not had any issues, but actually prefers the slight increase in mass + barrel length of hers.

All that said, I have to agree with everyone else and say get an instructor to teach her properly (though with the caveat that I’ve never attempted as we were/are both beginners who started at the same time).