Age of cartridge - settling an argument

Evening all how old does the collective recon these are ? Must be at least 10 /15 ? Rolled end paper case bailable. Does not even have a weight on them .  My dad doesn’t even remember buying them never mind putting them in a safe place !!.

Bit swollen but the go in the browning ok so may have a play at coniston some time !

Many thanks Agriv8 

BC9CA258-772F-4BDB-99FB-8B3FBED0354A.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Evening all how old does the collective recon these are ? Must be at least 10 /15 ? Rolled end paper case bailable. Does not even have a weight on them .  My dad doesn’t even remember buying them never mind putting them in a safe place !!.

Bit swollen but the go in the browning ok so may have a play at coniston some time !

Many thanks Agriv8 

?

As they are the rolled turnover and 65mm case, I would suggest that they are the 7/8th ozs  (24 gram). I still have the 500 round packing cases that they came in. DO be careful if you shoot them though, they did have a habit of ejecting the brass and leaving the cardboard case in the chamber and that was when they were new  !

Early  to mid 70's. I was buying them for 'club practice' by the 5000 at a time from Edgar Bros. when they were in Liverpool.

Edited by Westley

40 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, late 1970s 1980s i was shooting those, as well as the 6.5s in packs of 10, Sellier and Bellot? could have been the Baikals, brain has gone a bit fuzzy since then  

yeah i agree with that........the sellior & belliot were awful in the 10 packs,....they were stuck together with some sort of white wax?....and 50% of them went PHUT..!!!!

12 minutes ago, snow white said:

Mid to late 70 I used to use them as you could buy them I tens as on the box I still have a box myself 

We were buying these shells around 1970 , they were in boxes of ten and were 5s/0d ( 25p) a box , when we had a bit more cash we then bought them by the 1000 and by then they were £40 a 1000.

I did have a few boxes of the cartridges with a single lead ball in , half the ball was showing on the top of the cartridges , they wernt no good to me so I gave them away to the boys who collect cartridges ,

Thanks chaps.

as the brass is furring on most of the I suspect the collectors won’t want them. 

Just for the record as long as they are about the same age as me I was about right !  I am getting very close to the 50 mark

Will keep an eve on them and see it the son will film the flame and post it somewhere

regards Agriv8

1 hour ago, chesterse said:

If you are tempted to try them make sure you clean your gun afterwards as they had a reputation for rotting the inside of barrels😀 80’s sounds about right.

Yes I think they had corrosive chemicals in the primer.....mercury fulminate I think?

As others have said late 1970s loudest bang you ever heard  most clay grounds banned them due to it , I opened one once and it had all sorts of shot size pellets and most were not even round but boy did they kill well £ 48 per 1000 and came in a wooden outer case I used for a log basket for years.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 20:09, ditchman said:

yeah i agree with that........the sellior & belliot were awful in the 10 packs,....they were stuck together with some sort of white wax?....and 50% of them went PHUT..!!!!

I used Sellier and Bellot in the late 60's/early seventies because they were cheap. We didn't use ear defenders then, I recall firing a shot that gave me a ringing ear for three days, (now they just ring all the time!)

On 03/06/2019 at 12:10, Harnser said:

Proberbly responserbly for taking more guns off the face then any other . Used them extensively in the 70 s .

harnser

You’re right there along with the Yankee rippers 👍

they allegedly had a pinch of black powder mixed in with the nitro powder to combat the cold in Russia’s winter