British Steel on verge

old'un

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, grrclark said:

I don’t believe that is accurate or fair. Sure there was a £100m EU penalty for emissions, but even had we left it would still have had to be paid through the transition phase.

Not if the UK left the EU with 'no deal' when we should have!....Or sabotaged negotiations by voting the threat of no deal off the table......so who's to blame for that?

But you are entitled to your opinion.........and have answered my original question........you don't agree! Fair enough!

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Not if the UK left the EU with 'no deal' when we should have!....Or sabotaged negotiations by voting the threat of no deal off the table......so who's to blame for that?

But you are entitled to your opinion.........and have answered my original question........you don't agree! Fair enough!

That’s very true, if we had bailed with a hard Brexit there would be nothing to pay.

Not arguing one way or the other as I don’t know, but wonder if the cost of the fine would be less than tarrifs and lost market share.  I doubt it however.

As i alluded to earlier I think the problem stems from 25 years ago and is a product of government, unions and low productivity.

Tata also made a very hard nosed commercial decision in respect to pension liabilities, yet they knew what they were getting into at the outset.

So in a circuitous way perhaps much of the fault does lie in Westminster for allowing rampant capitalist behaviour with no consequence which is wrong.

Said by a hard nosed believer in free market capitalism!!

Edit to add: I fully agree re our making an utter hash of negotiations

1 hour ago, Blackbriar said:

To think that British heavy industry such as coal, steel and ships built the world as we know it..........now, all but gone.

And the seed of that demise was sewn getting on for near 100 years ago.

Edited by grrclark

3 hours ago, Jega said:

Living in S****horpe as i do is no bed of roses at the moment,although i don't work on the steel works many many of  my friends do and as you can well imagine they are very worried.

As for the idea of "new creative " companies and embryo business units we already are at saturation point with these in the town following the previous steel work closures in the 1980's, it's worth mentioning that most if not all of these small firms are dependent in some way or another on the steel works by either providing goods or services .

Now i'm no political animal but its ironic that the crossrail project in London can go 12 months overdue and about £3 billion over budget and not a word is said about it yet British steel need £ 30 million and all sorts of calamities ensue.

In case I was misinterpreted earlier, at a local level it is devastating if the steel industry in Scunny goes and I agree it should be supported. 

My point was in a broader scale heavy industry doesn’t matter nearly so much in terms of macro economic contribution, also given the new green agenda everyone in public office seems so quick to proclaim ,given the attention of a precocious Scandinavian teenager, will the virtue seeking populace weep for the loss of a dirty industry?  

10 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Glad I'm not the only one who can't stand that little spoilt troll. 

Not by a long stretch.  Naive idealist privileged child of naive idealist parents.

That is the kind of soup that Corbyn’s emerge from.  Jezza and his brother Piers both fit that mould perfectly.

6 hours ago, AULD YIN said:

Any thoughts on what its going to cost the country if 25,000 plus, sign   on  the dole?

Its more than that, what about all the jobs in the companies that supply the industry, the shop keepers that rely on the workers, etc ,  

2 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Its more than that, what about all the jobs in the companies that supply the industry, the shop keepers that rely on the workers, etc ,  

That is the 20,000-25,000 figure quoted, that is all of the jobs in the supply chain.

The actual number of employees in the steel works is about 4000 I believe.

6 hours ago, AULD YIN said:

Any thoughts on what its going to cost the country if 25,000 plus, sign   on  the dole?

It will be devastating to the local populace and all interlinked business which depend on that workforce as part of their income, but I seriously doubt 25,000 plus will be signing on. 

There will be a massive uptake of early retirement and or redundancy packages within the workforce, many of whom will ultimately enjoy the experience of retirement or also go on to find other work or become self employed after retraining. 

It is hard admittedly, but No one will die; you just have to get on with your life and regard it as an opportunity to make a fresh start. 

I’ve been through it twice, both times with a mortgage and two small children. You just get on with it ( without the benefit of a large redundancy package ) because what else can you do? 

Politicians will milk it for all its political gain, but in truth none will help to stop it from happening because in the big scheme of things it’s simply not of any consequence to them. 

12 minutes ago, Scully said:

It will be devastating to the local populace and all interlinked business which depend on that workforce as part of their income, but I seriously doubt 25,000 plus will be signing on. 

There will be a massive uptake of early retirement and or redundancy packages within the workforce, many of whom will ultimately enjoy the experience of retirement or also go on to find other work or become self employed after retraining. 

It is hard admittedly, but No one will die; you just have to get on with your life and regard it as an opportunity to make a fresh start. 

I’ve been through it twice, both times with a mortgage and two small children. You just get on with it ( without the benefit of a large redundancy package ) because what else can you do? 

Politicians will milk it for all its political gain, but in truth none will help to stop it from happening because in the big scheme of things it’s simply not of any consequence to them. 

hello, good post Scully, 

16 hours ago, grrclark said:

That does a bit of an injustice to DC Thomson.  The Courier is Scotland’s largest independent newspaper and The Sunday Post is massive in UK national sales.

Sadly the jute industry is but a memory and Jam is more appropriate to Arbroath now.

I don’t believe that is accurate or fair. Sure there was a £100m EU penalty for emissions, but even had we left it would still have had to be paid through the transition phase.

DC`s used to be a great employer and a great paper, but like a lot of local papers it went the way of many and gave up journalism for putting a cameraman outside the local court.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Saw similar things in the late 70`s/early 80`s when Consett Iron Company went bust. My uncle emigrated, grandad took early retirement, others moved to Newcastle etc or retrained, the local area suffered but it didn`t become a ghost town. Good investments in other areas, Phileas Fogg crisps being one such success story, brought jobs and money into the area, hopefully it will be the same for Scun thorpe etc

12 hours ago, grrclark said:

Not by a long stretch.  Naive idealist privileged child of naive idealist parents. 

That is the kind of soup that Corbyn’s emerge from.  Jezza and his brother Piers both fit that mould perfectly.

Naive idealist privileged child with Asperger's syndrome! Note the similarity of demeanor (cocksure self importance) with another so afflicted?......Packham!

3 hours ago, Scully said:

It is hard admittedly, but No one will die; 

People will die, there will be suicides, depression, family breakups, repossessions, falling house prices, bankruptcy, increased alcohol and drug problems if South Wales is anything to go by. What's more it carries on for decades and gets passed on to future generations

People try to maintain appearances but behind the scenes it tears the heart out of a community. Not everybody copes; not everybody has the ability to find a way out

Edited by Vince Green

29 minutes ago, henry d said:

Saw similar things in the late 70`s/early 80`s when Consett Iron Company went bust. My uncle emigrated, grandad took early retirement, others moved to Newcastle etc or retrained, the local area suffered but it didn`t become a ghost town. Good investments in other areas, Phileas Fogg crisps being one such success story, brought jobs and money into the area, hopefully it will be the same for Scun thorpe etc

You are more than likely correct in saying things will eventually move on, but more to the point, do you think the loss of steel production in the UK will have any effect on manufacturing when our future reliance will be solely on imported steel?