strange foods

ditchman

when i was at skool in the 60's............we were often served up ...boiled eggs in a cheese and curry sauce..............i liked it and always ate plenty of bread and butter with it....the other lads would put it in their hankey and flush it down the loo.............

to this day i have never ever met anyone else who had that dish............................

any of you had it ?

Hopes...never heard of it, but I am a bit faddy about eggs

my latest mission is to find the name of the weird cracker type sandwich biscuit combination with a strange cheese like filling available from vending machines and usually bought after swimming

18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

when i was at skool in the 60's............we were often served up ...boiled eggs in a cheese and curry sauce..............i liked it and always ate plenty of bread and butter with it....the other lads would put it in their hankey and flush it down the loo.............

to this day i have never ever met anyone else who had that dish............................

any of you had it ?

deviled egg sort of thing? sounds rank although I bet bet they were tasty to the more discerning palate.

9 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Hopes...never heard of it, but I am a bit faddy about eggs

my latest mission is to find the name of the weird cracker type sandwich biscuit combination with a strange cheese like filling available from vending machines and usually bought after swimming

tuc cheese sandwich.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/254925496

beaten to the Tuc 

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

any of you had it ?

Had egg curry many a time but never a cheesy version

14 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

These?

41oJ+f8JHHL.jpg

Nope

they were circular, with a sort of cheesesque filling similar to what you get inside those savoury Xmas football things

and whilst I'm on a mission...back in the 60s , does anyone remember a packet of savoury mix called Fivers?

contained 5 different savouries all mixed up

crisps

peanuts

chippito type things

twiglets

small savoury mini waffle type things

i am beginning to think I have made it up. My mother who is 88 remembers them though

31 minutes ago, ditchman said:

any of you had it ?

You must have went to a posh school to be served up boiled eggs in a cheese and curry sauce , all we ever had was a plate full of cabbage with little bits of meat underneath that you could never find , for afters , it looked like a dish of thick wall paper paste , a dish of pink plaster or some other rubbish that looked like frogs spawn , and that was on a good day when the school inspector was paying a visit , you would know the school in the market place , it is called the Hospital School , no doubt called that for a very good reason :no:

Sounds ĺike your school cook was an individualist.

My dear old Grandma, who was a Sheffield school cook in the 1920's used to serve up a pudding to us kids, consisting of fresh orange segments and desiccated coconut, all drowned in custard.

She swore that the schoolkids that she fed used to love it. We grandchildren remained to be convinced

Edited by amateur

19 hours ago, ditchman said:

any of you had it ?

Regular meal with my grandmother hard boiled eggs in white sauce with mashed spuds.

Blackpowder

Curry and  egg  makes a smashing  sandwich

a good bulker up in a curry  5 sticks of Rhubarb  its sweet and sour   vegie curry  chuck it in

Banana still tastes of banana  even in a curry or chlli

Throw anything  in         make enough for two meals  nuke the second helping

not tried Jeruslem artichokes in one yet     super raw in a salad just like water chestnuts

14 hours ago, dogsnott said:

Curry and  egg  makes a smashing  sandwich

a good bulker up in a curry  5 sticks of Rhubarb  its sweet and sour   vegie curry  chuck it in

Banana still tastes of banana  even in a curry or chlli

Throw anything  in         make enough for two meals  nuke the second helping

not tried Jeruslem artichokes in one yet     super raw in a salad just like water chestnuts

must admit in my pre gluten days i loved a cold curry sandwich.........:good:

My school dinners weren't up to much really. I remember one meal was some form of meat with cabbage. The dinner lady asked me why I wasn't eating it. I told her (bearing in mind I was about 10) that it resembled the scene in alien when the android was cut in half and his lungs were hanging out and I'd rather not. She turned white and muttered something before disappearing. 

And that God awful dessert that looked like frog spawn but tasted less appealing. Nasty. 

Nothing wrong with a curried egg though. 

On 22/05/2019 at 19:35, dogsnott said:

Really? Doesn't that make the effects even worse? We roast some then get bored. This year's crop mostly went in the bin. The only vegetable I can reliably grow.

23 hours ago, GingerCat said:

My school dinners weren't up to much really. I remember one meal was some form of meat with cabbage. The dinner lady asked me why I wasn't eating it. I told her (bearing in mind I was about 10) that it resembled the scene in alien when the android was cut in half and his lungs were hanging out and I'd rather not. She turned white and muttered something before disappearing. 

And that God awful dessert that looked like frog spawn but tasted less appealing. Nasty. 

We didn't go to the same school by any chance Ginger Cat, as the meals sound identical  :lol: , once I got my first gun I went off school dinners and saved the dinner money for cartridges , far healthier  , my mum often wondered why I was hungry and ate a big tea .:hmm:

On 26/05/2019 at 19:44, GingerCat said:

that is and was the most distgusting substance anyone could put in their mouth...........tapioca........totally rank....every mouthful activated the sick trigger

I hesitate to disagree with PW's greatest hero but actually, I love tapioca. And sago, ground rice and all those milk puddings. My kids think I'm disgusting. They think that not just because of my love of milk puddings but also my favourite cold meat - ox tongue. Bloody fantastic.

I tried horseradish again the other day and had to spit it out - just cant get on with it at all. Most disgusting thing I ever tried was in Hong Kong when a client was trying to impress me when ordering dinner. It included jellyfish in satay sauce. Without doubt the worst thing I have ever tried to eat.

On 29/05/2019 at 12:10, WestonSalop said:

I hesitate to disagree with PW's greatest hero but actually, I love tapioca. And sago, ground rice and all those milk puddings. My kids think I'm disgusting. They think that not just because of my love of milk puddings but also my favourite cold meat - ox tongue. Bloody fantastic.

I tried horseradish again the other day and had to spit it out - just cant get on with it at all. Most disgusting thing I ever tried was in Hong Kong when a client was trying to impress me when ordering dinner. It included jellyfish in satay sauce. Without doubt the worst thing I have ever tried to eat.

ox tongue........yessirrreeeee...:drool:...milk pudding and milky rice pudding with the skin ontop...................

tapioca ..................i would rather eat dog poo.............