best rifle

ripsaw

Hello, welcome to the site. nice introduction there.

Have you got FAC? what do you count as mega money? Have you sorted the new general license? HW110, HW100, BSA R10, AA S410, AA S510, AAS200, Daystate Air Ranger, Daystate Hunntsman classic, Falcon FN..., Theoben MFR, Theoben rapid and so it goes on. That's before you look at springers.

Any HW, especially the older models e.g HW80, HW77 HW95, HW 97, AA prosport, Theoben gas ram.

My point is, there is no 'best air rifle'. we all have our favourites, but we might need a bit more information to say what would be worth thinking about for your tastes/budge/needs.

7 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

Make sure you check the general license first

aha, beat me to it!

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

Hello, welcome to the site. nice introduction there.

aha, beat me to it!

Great to introduce new people to the site but if they are starting out????we need to check firstly they are doing things correctly rather than worrying about correct tools 

I apologize I should of said welcome and we look forward to hearing a bit about you 

The best air rifle .hummm thats tricky 

Im presuming sub 12 .? 

Rabbits and pigeon. (No licence required for rabbits yet .) 

So taking rabbits as the primary quarry .

You will be taking longer shots over open ground .so range and accuracy will be key  .so a .177 pcp would be best to achieve  that .

Hunting gun is ideally light and shortish.

Which if it has a smallish cylinder it can be easily pumped up (massive shot count isnt really needed for hunting 40 shots is plenty ) 

Given the above id get either a bsa ultra or scorpion .

Or and airarms s200 or s410 / 510 

The daystates and whierauchs are a bit more expensive .

A sh .fx streamline would also be awesome .

Personally .i wouldnt venture away from either of those 5 brands .they ARE  the best made guns .

4 minutes ago, ripsaw said:

hi and that's what im looking for the correct tools lol,as for the licence all will be correct!!!!

I suggest you spend some time understanding the general licence before heading out

2 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The best air rifle .hummm thats tricky 

Im presuming sub 12 .? 

Rabbits and pigeon. (No licence required for rabbits yet .) 

So taking rabbits as the primary quarry .

You will be taking longer shots over open ground .so range and accuracy will be key  .so a .177 pcp would be best to achieve  that .

Hunting gun is ideally light and shortish.

Which if it has a smallish cylinder it can be easily pumped up (massive shot count isnt really needed for hunting 40 shots is plenty ) 

Given the above id get either a bsa ultra or scorpion .

Or and airarms s200 or s410 / 510 

The daystates and whierauchs are a bit more expensive .

A sh .fx streamline would also be awesome .

Personally .i wouldnt venture away from either of those 5 brands .they ARE  the best made guns .

thankyou for the info your correct in all you say I was thinking a 177 myself

for longer shots id love a s410 they look awesome mate  .

are the bsa ultras short and a little heavy?

6 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Do you mean fac licence or pigeon and crow licence ? 

I was shaw you can apply for a licence for crows pigeons etc

6 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

7 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

2 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

To answer simply.

The best airgun for rabbit shooting is 

An fac .fx wildcat in .25cal shooting jsb kings and a hawke sindewinder  6-24 x56 with sr pro ret 

Bsa ultra is short but not heavy .

lol I wish maybe one day mate im new to the sport my dads been at it years and has all his licences guns etc I come on here just for a bit of help as 

as its good to make contacts in the sport im told ????

9 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

To answer simply.

The best airgun for rabbit shooting is 

An fac .fx wildcat in .25cal shooting jsb kings and a hawke sindewinder  6-24 x56 with sr pro ret 

Bsa ultra is short but not heavy .

IMG_20190521_220804.jpg

very nice mate 

This is my sh .177 single shot mmc bsa ultra. It cost me £250 .and its very ligjt and accurate  .

IMG_20190521_221340.jpg

By contrast that fx above would now  set me back £1500 .BUT on sunday evening i was plinking at 38 mm knock downs at 90 yds .hitting around 80 % of the time .

So its pretty good for long range shooting .

I don't think there's such a thing as "the best rifle".........just what is best for you and does what is required of it !

I know guys who've spent good money (big money in some cases) on rifles with all the bells and whistles, and couldn't get on with them ! Try as many as you can, then decide what will do it's required task the best - a rifle is only as good as the person holding it.

Try as many as you can and find one you like. Learn to use it well on targets, learn your ranges and pellet drop. 

Then when you out on live quarry you will be a lot better and more humane shot by being able to carry out and place the shot where it needs to be.

hello, i think at this time pigeon shooting with an air rifle is a bit of a no no due to the G L licence rules, if you dad has licences/guns can he not advise you, although as a new PW member it is always good to know what other  people recommend, you do not say what type of air rifle or how much you want to spend, there are 5 main types, PCP air/ Co2 gas / springer/gas ram/pump up/ cheapest way would be a springer, from a cheapy of £100 to £500 plus, for what its worth my advice start on rabbit shooting with air rifle maybe progress to a shotgun for pigeons,  as for the air rifle, the HW 99 S in 177 are about the best value today, a Hawke Vantage scope, and if you night shooting a night vision add on about £150 or start with a red led torch, £25/30. 

20 hours ago, ripsaw said:

hi and that's what im looking for the correct tools lol,as for the licence all will be correct!!!!

Apologies if you are fully aware?

To be clear, ALL birds are protected and none may be shot at present as the general licence as was has been suspended.

Your quarry could be rabbit and squirrel but please become proficient and consistent on targets at the ranges you will be shooting first.

After finding an accurate combination of gun and pellet first.

I have an AA S 200 in .22 and I have been very pleased with it's performance. In any air rifle shooting an ability to stalk and get up close an personal is important. I have folded many magpies out to 40yrds but that was from a purpose built hide with a good rest. To head shoot a rabbit at that range you need to practise.  The S200 will do the job if you can and they are available out there at reasonable money.

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have an AA S 200 in .22 and I have been very pleased with it's performance. In any air rifle shooting an ability to stalk and get up close an personal is important. I have folded many magpies out to 40yrds but that was from a purpose built hide with a good rest. To head shoot a rabbit at that range you need to practise.  The S200 will do the job if you can and they are available out there at reasonable money.

👍

Just now, Walker570 said:

Good post .