Natural England - Caroline Cotterell

Just read an interesting article in this weeks Shooting Times where Matt Cross asks Natural England`s Director of Strategy Implementation, Caroline Cotterell the following -:

ST: "Despite repeated attempts at scaring, a farm suffered serious damage to a pea crop throughout the growing season. Can the farmer arrange for the pigeons to be shot over the pea stubble to reduce numbers and prevent damage next growing season ?"

NE: " Yes, assuming that a crop such as peas - which will be vulnerable to serious damage by woodpigeons - is going to be sown by the farmer in the area."

Her reply goes on to state that -: "lethal control of woodpigeons can be used where there is no alternative satisfactory solution. The farmer must take reasonable steps to prevent crop damage by other (non-lethal) methods, unless their use would be impractical, without effect or disproportionate in their circumstances.The farmer can authorise others to carry out shooting for them".

I think that if this is correct, after all, a director of NE says so !, then this creates a good precedent to shoot pigeons over stubble, something that has appeared to be a grey area thus far. It also somewhat simplifies and makes more common sense to the precise wording of GL31.

Sounds good enough to me.

OB

25 minutes ago, Scully said:

So ( irrespective of the crop ) what is the difference between what she is reported to have said, and the old GL? 

Not a great deal from the old GL, but it shows a bit more common sense than the wording of GL31

28 minutes ago, Scully said:

So ( irrespective of the crop ) what is the difference between what she is reported to have said, and the old GL? 

As Old Boggy above, very little; the old old GL included (shall we call them) the implementation ground rules which NE had missed from the old GL04. When they revised this under duress, being the nature of the beast they simply coul;d not do other than fiddle with something that wasn't broken to suit their own agenda - I can't think of any other reason than that to fiddle - and came up with GL31

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Just read an interesting article in this weeks Shooting Times where Matt Cross asks Natural England`s Director of Strategy Implementation, Caroline Cotterell the following -:

ST: "Despite repeated attempts at scaring, a farm suffered serious damage to a pea crop throughout the growing season. Can the farmer arrange for the pigeons to be shot over the pea stubble to reduce numbers and prevent damage next growing season ?"

NE: " Yes, assuming that a crop such as peas - which will be vulnerable to serious damage by woodpigeons - is going to be sown by the farmer in the area."

Her reply goes on to state that -: "lethal control of woodpigeons can be used where there is no alternative satisfactory solution. The farmer must take reasonable steps to prevent crop damage by other (non-lethal) methods, unless their use would be impractical, without effect or disproportionate in their circumstances.The farmer can authorise others to carry out shooting for them".

I think that if this is correct, after all, a director of NE says so !, then this creates a good precedent to shoot pigeons over stubble, something that has appeared to be a grey area thus far. It also somewhat simplifies and makes more common sense to the precise wording of GL31.

OB

No changes then smoke and mirrors at your individual risk?

I'll stick with the NGO sdvice.

• 2 weeks later...

Old Boggy. I've tried searching Shooting Times website for the stubble quote without success. Are you able please to scan the page in and post here or let me know the issue No and date of the appropriate magazine and I will try and locate one. Many thanks.

9 hours ago, Bobba said:

Old Boggy. I've tried searching Shooting Times website for the stubble quote without success. Are you able please to scan the page in and post here or let me know the issue No and date of the appropriate magazine and I will try and locate one. Many thanks.

Hi Bobba,

I have attached page 24  of Shooting Times dated 22nd May 2019. Hopefully the scan is readable.

1364136496_ST22-05-19(Page24)001.jpg.35a2c415b5563c5392582bda818e1284.jpg

On 22/05/2019 at 15:34, Old Boggy said:

OB

If this is the case shooting stubbles ,then there is no reason to employ none lethal methods as you are there to shoot the pigeons to prevent future damage . I like it .

harnser

On 22/05/2019 at 16:39, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Lord Boggington, the major difference must surely be the amount of non lethal methods carried out and cutting down all the "sitty" Trees!

Hmmm?

How would the authorities take to one cutting down a 150 old oak as a means to stop pigeons using it as a sitty tree?🤔🤔