East Devon

wymberley

Anyone thinking of  coming down for the BH weekend and is stuck or something to do for a few hours could do worse than visit Bicton Park near Budleigh Salterton. Wife and I took the grand daughter this afternoon and found it in full bloom. Not a lot for the older kids to do - pack 'em off to the beach - but there's plenty for the younger ones. Just be prepared to get a stiffy - wife too - neck of course - some of the trees are unbelievably tall.

12 hours ago, wymberley said:

Anyone thinking of  coming down for the BH weekend and is stuck or something to do for a few hours could do worse than visit Bicton Park near Budleigh Salterton. Wife and I took the grand daughter this afternoon and found it in full bloom. Not a lot for the older kids to do - pack 'em off to the beach - but there's plenty for the younger ones. Just be prepared to get a stiffy - wife too - neck of course - some of the trees are unbelievably tall.

Thanks. Will have a look Coming Monday to ladram bay with grand kids 4 and 6. Is it good for bikes. 

1 hour ago, mellors said:

Thanks. Will have a look Coming Monday to ladram bay with grand kids 4 and 6. Is it good for bikes. 

Don't know the answer. "Good for bikes?" Probably, but not too sure whether or not that would go down well what with the little ones running about and everyone suddenly stopping to stand still and gawp. Those ages are good for the play areas though. Being local, we take advantage of the season ticket facility as our 3, coming up 4, year old loves it. However, right on your doorstep there's The Woodbury Commons to play on for bikes. If the weather turns - or even if it doesn't - The World Of Country Life at Sandy Bay -  known as Devon Cliffs - betrween Budleigh and Exmouth at Littleham is also worth a punt.

24 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Don't know the answer. "Good for bikes?" Probably, but not too sure whether or not that would go down well what with the little ones running about and everyone suddenly stopping to stand still and gawp. Those ages are good for the play areas though. Being local, we take advantage of the season ticket facility as our 3, coming up 4, year old loves it. However, right on your doorstep there's The Woodbury Commons to play on for bikes. If the weather turns - or even if it doesn't - The World Of Country Life at Sandy Bay -  known as Devon Cliffs - betrween Budleigh and Exmouth at Littleham is also worth a punt.

Great. Got 5 days there. Looks like loads to do. Already got fossil hunting kit etc. Never been to a caravan park but everything for the children that's all that matters. 

If you do decide to have a go at the following, I'll just say on THE FACE of it there's nothing I can do about it, but ever-the-less I apologise - you will understand. This is not on the Bicton Park map - which is particularly useless anyway. There was a TV programme called, 'The Burrowers' which was actually filmed at Bicton and the warren is still worth a look. There is a descriptive board for this as there is for the molehill which strictly speaking the correct term for which is 'fortress'. This however, I couldn't see - we went again today. Directions. If you approach the kiddies' play area up an hill and have to cross the miniature railway line, then turn left and follow the path around as it bears to the right and continues to climb. You should find the mini golf on your right. Just keep going and you won't miss it on your right. As it happens, this is also the best walk for many of the trees.

27 minutes ago, wymberley said:

If you do decide to have a go at the following, I'll just say on THE FACE of it there's nothing I can do about it, but ever-the-less I apologise - you will understand. This is not on the Bicton Park map - which is particularly useless anyway. There was a TV programme called, 'The Burrowers' which was actually filmed at Bicton and the warren is still worth a look. There is a descriptive board for this as there is for the molehill which strictly speaking the correct term for which is 'fortress'. This however, I couldn't see - we went again today. Directions. If you approach the kiddies' play area up an hill and have to cross the miniature railway line, then turn left and follow the path around as it bears to the right and continues to climb. You should find the mini golf on your right. Just keep going and you won't miss it on your right. As it happens, this is also the best walk for many of the trees.

OK thanks. Weather's looking OK so far. Looking forward to exploring. 

15 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

You also have Crealy adventure park on the Sidmouth road. Thats worth a visit. Donkey sanctuary, free to enter.. Quite a few things going on in the area to be honest 

Yep, another two goodies.

Not so well advertised as it's not "family" by any stretch of the imagination and would probably traumatise the toddlers is the Beer Quarry Caves. The location is in the title.

32 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Not so well advertised as it's not "family" by any stretch of the imagination and would probably traumatise the toddlers is the Beer Quarry Caves. The location is in the title.

Might give that a look, the wife and I are going to Lyme Regis end of June for a week.

37 minutes ago, old'un said:

Might give that a look, the wife and I are going to Lyme Regis end of June for a week.

I Think it's well worth it if you have any interest in the various aspects of history. One thing I would say though is that the enjoyment of your visit is really dependent upon the quality of your guide. As the quarry is associated with the church (Exeter Cathedral in particular), the records from way back are available and it just depends on whether or not and to what extent the guide has done their homework. One other point, stout ("sensible") shoes for the good lady.

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

If going to beer get out fishing then a pint in the Anchor.. 

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

If going to beer get out fishing then a pint in the Anchor.. 

Been to Lyme Regis a few times, usually do a bit of mackerel fishing off the beach at Seatown, its nice and quiet and great place for a barbecue on the beach, or West Bexington (Chesil beach).

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Been to Lyme Regis a few times, usually do a bit of mackerel fishing off the beach at Seatown, its nice and quiet and great place for a barbecue on the beach, or West Bexington (Chesil beach).

I live on seaton and Sidmouth beach in summer chasing mackerel and bass.. And all i get is dog fish