A very long list

Was laying in bed this morning listening to a Corncrake outside my window [wakes me up every day **** ] and i started to make a list in my head of birds and mammals that are endangered in the UK and why they are endangered

Corncrake loss of habitat and predation

Curlew             "                             "

Lapwing          "                             "

Dotterel           "                             "

Water vole      "                            "

Red Squirrel  [competition]

Songbirds over 20 spp  habitat/predation

As said a very long list with hundreds to be added. Non of the above are decreasing because of shooting in fact all benefit because of predator control and correct land management. noticeably moorland birds are suffering along with all ground nesting birds.  Surely an in depth study could be made on behalf of shooting rather than the one sided diatribe spouted by Packham et al..

https://www.songbird-survival.org.uk/bird-statistics

anyone care to add to the list or give an example of the benefits of shooting etc ?

Cuckoo was calling all day on and off at Grafham last Saturday we also get them regular as clockwork on the marshy ground on the farm. Saw my first song thrush for a while yesterday evening. Sadly no lapwings on the farm now despite being organic, leaving oat and barley stubble all winter and generally being the last farm the contractor drills (something to do with our relatively 'dirty' home grown seed clogging up his drill)

I've yet to discover what good a pigeon or a corvid (especially magpies) actually does to help the environment that warrants a general ban on shooting them. I regularly see mobs of magpies raiding the nests in hedgerows this time of year., so that's tits, blackbirds and thrushes paying the ultimate price for packham's stupidity

19 minutes ago, Paddy Galore! said:

I've yet to discover what good a pigeon or a corvid (especially magpies) actually does to help the environment that warrants a general ban on shooting them. I regularly see mobs of magpies raiding the nests in hedgerows this time of year., so that's tits, blackbirds and thrushes paying the ultimate price for packham's stupidity

Was reading RSPB article about magpies and garden birds. they are saying that despite the increase in Magpie numbers especially in urban ares they are not responsible for decreasing songbird numbers, however they do recommend that you plant thick hawthorn hedges to deter predators !

Anyone got anything to add to OP ? perhaps published papers on the benefits of shooting and land management ?

26 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Was reading RSPB article about magpies and garden birds. they are saying that despite the increase in Magpie numbers especially in urban ares they are not responsible for decreasing songbird numbers, however they do recommend that you plant thick hawthorn hedges to deter predators !

Anyone got anything to add to OP ? perhaps published papers on the benefits of shooting and land management ?

At our last house in a suburban setting had a hawthorn hedge which we left to thicken up to 5 foot thick 8 foot high and 10 foot long with a mature holly 5ft square and 8 ft high at one end  The Magpies and greys still got all the nests.  Someone is not telling the whole truth.

Two magpies raided raided a blackbirds nest in my hedge yesterday ,took the chicks and ripped them   apart on my neighbours shed roof.To say they do not affect  bird numbers is far from the truth.By the way heard my first cuckoo in S.Wales on April 29th and have heard a further two in different sites .