Some thoughts for the BASC haters.

14 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Isn't the curly headed chap on the left the same guy that gave us the benefit of his pattern testing/shotgun effective ranges knowledge by the use of bits of cardboard disc hanging on some barbed wire a few months back?

Yes, it is.

I haven't got the time nor the inclination to spend over an hour watching that, nor would I if it concerned any other of our organisations either.

I have my own many and varied reasons for disliking BASC and can list them if anyone is interested, but after contributing to the pension of shifty Swifty for what was a good few years, it will take something out of the ordinary for me to subscribe to BASC again. 

Interesting video Mudpatten some good points raised and explained.

The haters are going to hate its just the way they are you can not reach these its pointless trying to, all you can do is support BASC and the other organisations in their uphill struggle against the opponents of our sport .

Thanks Mudpattern, certainly an interestng discussion. Only watched half an hour, and will get back to it this evening while the wife is watching the soaps.

23 minutes ago, B B said:

all you can do is support BASC and the other organisations in their uphill struggle against the opponents of our sport .

Can only agree with BB`s comments above.

Interesting points raised certainly. Not sure why they spoke early on with regard to the future of NE (bonfire of quango's etc). Whilst I share their view point, whatever we think of NE they are still in place and no point picking a fight when we do not need to. Either way these people will have influence and we / BASC will have to work with them in situ or elsewhere. 

Thinking forward, those of us active in country sports need to try to get on the front foot with much of this stuff. Be that taking a greater lead on conservation, environmental protection, sustainability (plastics and other pollutants), and preparing our position with regards to the shooting of mammals. 

1 hour ago, mossy835 said:

with out any of the orgs we would not stand a chance.

Most likely there will be  a large numbers of members who will not re-join  their  membership  has one said to me  I am not getting value for  money for my membership fee 

Feltwad

I think a number of people will actually join BASC or another organisation to have the legal support in case they are challenged as users of the new GLs in whatever form they finally emerge. At least in the short term. Very few could afford the legal costs of defending themselves against a fully funded anti group.

3 hours ago, B B said:

Interesting video Mudpatten some good points raised and explained.

The haters are going to hate its just the way they are you can not reach these its pointless trying to, all you can do is support BASC and the other organisations in their uphill struggle against the opponents of our sport .

I have to say that to me that sounds a lot like you're advocating blind obedience to a cause. I don't think for one minute that that is what any of our organisations would want, let alone demand, as if they were to they'd be classed as something unpleasant which it and its members should be avoided at all costs and is most certainly not the BASC that I knew.

I've had my issues with BASC in the past, particularly when East of England was rolled into Central Region, but given the way our world is going and even bigger threats on the horizon I feel the time is right for past differences to be forgotten and us all pull together and support whichever organisation we subscribe to. We have some very vocal and well known detractors and more to come I fear. 

I have to be a member of BASC but I intend to join another (or two) organisation soon but which one(s) I'm not sure. Ideas and why welcome.

The NGO. I joined the CA, but figure next year the NGO. By the way, if you just want insurance AND legal advice you can do it for a little as £29 per year. For me, the insurance is secondary, I join in order to financially support a body that actively works to represent us. 

12 hours ago, norfolk dumpling said:

Ideas and why welcome.

I am a game-shooter, vermin controller with the occasional, (once or twice a month) wildfowling session thrown in. As a result I have been a WAGBI /BASC member for more years than I care to remember. On the few occasions I have needed professional help or advice I have always found BASC officers helpful and totally on the ball when it came to sorting out a perceived problem. Sure, they have had their share of `bad-eggs` over the years, as someone pointed out earlier Mr Swift was quick to line his pockets with members cash and then went totally out of his way to ensure a total ban on lead was implemented. There are others who have also been involved in the senior management, who havent covered temselves in glory. Name me an organisation who hasn`t at some point regretted the appointment of a senior executive. However, it is up to the members to step up to the plate and do something about it when things are starting to go wrong. Voting with your feet or having a chunter on here wont change anything.

Possibly like yourself, I dont see this current fiasco as being the last of our fights. Once the dust settles, the `Packhams` of this world will look for other causes to attack.

I was impressed by the NGO`s submission and total grasp of the whole debacle. I wont drop out of BASC, but am on the point of joining NGO as a supporter. £45 seems a small investment when it comes to having someone else to stand up and fight our corner on future challenges.

Edited by JJsDad

13 hours ago, norfolk dumpling said:

I've had my issues with BASC in the past, particularly when East of England was rolled into Central Region, but given the way our world is going and even bigger threats on the horizon I feel the time is right for past differences to be forgotten and us all pull together and support whichever organisation we subscribe to. We have some very vocal and well known detractors and more to come I fear. 

I have to be a member of BASC but I intend to join another (or two) organisation soon but which one(s) I'm not sure. Ideas and why welcome.

As a member, would agree with the couple of posts re the NGO and should you be looking for another, how about the GWCT?

I have been with the NGO for some years now, ever since I left BASC. 

The NGO was formed by a group of senior BASC members who didn’t agree with BASC’s policies regarding some gamekeeping policies. Edited to add: Incidentally, shifty Swifty at the time told them they ( the new NGO ) wouldn’t last a year. 🙂

Whilst not having the numbers or the cash that BASC have, they are not a lightweight organisation, and have the professional input, output and knowledge, and the ears, of some very important and influential people. 

You pay your money and take your choice. 

Edited by Scully

16 minutes ago, Scully said:

I have been with the NGO for some years now, ever since I left BASC. 

The NGO was formed by a group of senior BASC members who didn’t agree with BASC’s policies regarding some gamekeeping policies. 

Whilst not having the numbers or the cash that BASC have, they are not a lightweight organisation, and have the professional input, output and knowledge, and the ears, of some very important and influential people. 

You pay your money and take your choice. 

I agree I have been a member  since it  was formed and have found  it OK

Feltwad 

Edited by Feltwad

We need to stop all the pointless bitching and back biting about our shooting organisations, get over any real or imagined complaints we might have had about them historically and be thankful we have them in these uncertain times.

Norfolk Dumpling ! As for BASC Vs NGO or other , no idea its personal choice, all the orgs have sites have a look see what takes your fancy . From my own point of view i have no one org i Am i  BASC and the NGO have been in both from 1972 as a 12 year old with Wagbi then BASC after the name change and became a life member of BASC in 1994, I Joined the NGO in 1998 and am currently a family member.  BASC do a great job, but NGO are only around 12000 so joining them would help their Org Grow and perhaps family membership could be something you might consider, all the best whatever you decide to do.     .

1 hour ago, lancer425 said:

NGO are only around 12000 so joining them would help their Org Grow

Well they got their £45 supporters fee from me this morning, I was impressed by their submission to Defra and their regular updates when this current shambles kicked off. Small price to pay when you are relying on an organisation to stand up and be counted when the crunch comes.

Google

42 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Well they got their £45 supporters fee from me this morning, I was impressed by their submission to Defra and their regular updates when this current shambles kicked off. Small price to pay when you are relying on an organisation to stand up and be counted when the crunch comes.

Thanks for supporting the NGO it is indeed a small price to pay, we need more to get into these organisations . There are 12000 with NGO and around 140 000 BASC IIRC, ok just two organisations but it still leaves a lot out there who should perhaps be considering  joining one of  the organisations, if they value this  sport in the  long term.

Edited by lancer425

44 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Thanks for supporting the NGO

Nice of you to say so, but you dont need to thank me bud.

I joined because we live in troubled times for our chosen sport. There a lot of `freeloaders` out there; we have people happy to part with several thousand pounds for a gun (and more), pay upward of £500 for a days Patridge or Pheasant shooting, plus tips, hotels & travel. But will keep their hands firmly in their pockets when it comes to the comparitively small expence of joining one of the field sports organisations.

23 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Nice of you to say so, but you dont need to thank me bud.

I joined because we live in troubled times for our chosen sport. There a lot of `freeloaders` out there; we have people happy to part with several thousand pounds for a gun (and more), pay upward of £500 for a days Patridge or Pheasant shooting, plus tips, hotels & travel. But will keep their hands firmly in their pockets when it comes to the comparitively small expence of joining one of the field sports organisations.

All true JJsdad and exactly why we need to be sporting our organisations, instead of winging and whining like a load of lonely springer pups about something that happened last year last decade or never.